Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Paulchili
I agree.
I had SFO-LAX-MAD-LHR on AA/IB/BA J for next September (couldn't get anything direct out of SFO on UA or AA from LAX) and was saving my MP miles for a 2015 trip to Japan (with *A partners).
With this news I will cancel my AA award (and pay $175 fee) and save these miles for CX/JL J to Asia.
Instead I am "dumping" my MP miles and booked SFO-YVR-YYZ-LHR on UA/AC for the 50K miles (AC Exec First suites on A333 & B772 shouldn't be too hard to take).
Yep, as intelligent consumers we should all chase the best deal for our travel spend. Don't get me wrong but UA offers great value as a 1K in their very liberal SDC rules but I also valued international *A F redemption opportunities more. AA is now a better value for me for my travel spend.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
LOL. I just used up some of my last miles last month on J class tickets on LH to South Africa (had empty seats around me for all legs) leaving me with a grand total of 947 miles left in my account.

Wow, this depreciated faster than one would have expected. MileagePlus just became MileageNone.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Didn't see anybody highlight this change with NO WARNING:

>>> The following restrictions apply to "upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013; (3) There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013. <<<

Folks, this change was effectively immediate, no grace period to request upgrades under the old rules for these regions.

Perhaps it is just as well, better to burn those miles first before using the upgrades.

Congrats United, you're now solidly in first place in the race to the bottom of FF programs. I've been telling folks to still give UA a close look as their main program because their ace in the hole is the integrity, stability, and value proposition of their award travel program. That's gone for good now I'm afraid.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13
Don't get me wrong, I'm almost as mad as anyone. But where are you going to go that's markedly better?
My miles will certainly now go to Lufthansa when I fly on Star, although my travel will be on AA rather than UA whenever possible in the U.S.

Originally Posted by pinguy
That's not a logical statement. Everybody has reasons for doing what they do even if they don't agree with your reasons. More than half the PAX on planes don't even have a FF account.
It is quite a logical statement to say that anyone who continues to fly on United is stupid. United treats its customers with utter contempt. You'd have to be stupid to continue to accept such treatment when there are other options out there.

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Aaron,

I think you guys made the right move conceptually, but the proof will be in the execution of how you treat your most loyal, revenue generating passengers. UA is forcing a major concession on part of your passenger base, I just hope you don't forget to treat your revenue generating passengers with kid gloves.
Is this a joke? You haven't seen the oppressive alteration of the treatment of elites that has already occurred? For example, are you going to meet the annual spend requirement next year? Do you think more CPUs will clear?

Originally Posted by pinguy
84fiero - I'm not sure how big of a minority we are but I'm pretty sure we're in the minority. It seems lots of posters on FT have no issue spending over 100,000+ miles to fly F to somewhere far away. For me, I'll take those 100,000 miles and use them for four coach seats. About fifteen years ago, I spent 100,000 miles to fly UA in F RT LAX/CDG. After it was over, I kicked myself for spending the miles just to sit up front. I'm not trying to start an argument and if others like it, I have no issue. But for me, I'll spend my miles in coach.
I don't fly in Y on revenue tickets and I am surely not going to do so on award tickets.

Originally Posted by nycsfo
Here's what I did upon hearing the news: booked a SQ F award to replace a CX award I had already reserved (luckily, through BA so the avios refund won't cost too much). Chase card will be cancelled imminently.
I assume this is an intra-Asia flight since you can't book SQ F on long hauls?

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The issue is that now the differential between J and F on partners internationally is much, much greater. It is harder to justify LH F over LH J when LH F is now almost twice J. Is F really "twice" better than J?
On LH? Yes, because the C class is so relatively bad. On most other carriers? No.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Plus, with the change flexibility UA Insider mentioned, you should be able to move your dates out beyond 330 days without penalty.
I doubt it. Date changes are free because it is only a revalidation of the ticket. Carrier and itinerary changes require ticket reissuance so the new redemption levels will apply when the ticket is reissued. Ticket validity is one year. If you try and move the date beyond a year from the original date of issuance, the ticket will have to be reissued--not just revalidated.

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
This is true. I have enough miles on DL for a domestic RT but last time I thought about using them, I just gave up, could not deal with the calendar at all, and burned miles on some other carrier (maybe this is what they want, what a thought).
Funny. I was somehow able to book a low ticket in C on DL from BKK-JFK and JFK-MNL for next year before the redemptions levels increase. I had no problems finding flights and dates that work for me.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

If we make the awards before 2/1/14 and then want to change the routing or dates of our flight, will changes to itineraries made before the cutoff remain at the level of original booking, or will changes to the itinerary trigger an increase to the new joke rates?
New joke rates if anything other than a date change within the one-year ticket validity period. See above.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
LAST STRAW..............GOOD BYE UA, HELLO AA. The Only reason I stuck it out this long with UA was for the F awards on LH. Id rather pay the fuel surcharges and take BA or just take CX to Asia. UA just took the ONLY reason I've stuck with them this long away

Come to think of it...I think this makes UA the MOST expensive awards for F class on partners. I said "hello AA" but I may be just as better off moving to LH or SQ (Airlines I already fly quite often on revenue tickets). While it will take 6-8 months to work my way to Senator, and longer to get HON w LH, I will still have my UA 1K for life anyway, w SQ I have my PPS. First awards are always east o get on SQ or LH/LX if your a member of their FF program and with these changes, the redemption levels will be much less

UA is raising a F award from USA-DXB on LH to almost the same redemption level as EK....but with EK I get so many bonuses, I can't even keep track. For this of us who use F awards, this change will bring UA down to just about the WORST FF program out there. 290,000 miles from DXB to NYC, no thank you......keep your miles......

DL has become a superior airline in many ways to UA, but the biggest reason I hear from others on why they won't switch is MP....ME THINKS DL HAS A MOLE HIDING WITHIN THE UA EXECUTIVE RANKS

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Nov 1, 2013 at 11:34 pm
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Wow. There goes the effectiveness of CPU... We had TODs on US legs and now it is just ruled out for foreign legs.

Originally Posted by GrizShel

>>> The following restrictions apply to "upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014: (1) Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable; (2) Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013; (3) There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013. <<<

Folks, this change was effectively immediate, no grace period to request upgrades under the old rules for these regions.

Perhaps it is just as well, better to burn those miles first before using the upgrades.

Congrats United, you're now solidly in first place in the race to the bottom of FF programs. I've been telling folks to still give UA a close look as their main program because their ace in the hole is the integrity, stability, and value proposition of their award travel program. That's gone for good now I'm afraid.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by amolkold
If I want to fly in F to India, it will cost me 140,000 miles. ONE-WAY. Used to be 160K roundtrip. Unbelievable.
As one based in India, it is truly *unbelievable*!

Originally Posted by kalendil
We just got peso'd.
+1!

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
This is not a devaluation, it is an annihilation! 220,000 miles RT in first to fly to Japan? That is ridiculous! Everyone needs to Tweet United (and email Jeff Smisek). Small increases are one thing, but what they've done is gutted the program!
Totally gutted it, totally.

Time for OneWorld - QR is going to kick some b*tt ex-India now being in OW.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'm sure the numerous people on FT who 3 years ago were cheering on the merger and touting all the benefits it would bring are just as happy now as they were back then?

Here's hoping that AA-US doesn't go through or else we can all kiss this hobby goodbye. Mergers aren't good for customers...full stop.
+1.

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Wow.

This is appalling.

I've never seen a more brutal devaluation to any frequent flyer program to which I've been a participant.

The Star Alliance premium cabin award devaluations are excruciating. U.S. to Europe will become 70K each way for Star business, 110K each way for Star first. U.S. to Japan becomes 75K each way for Star business, 110K each way for Star first. U.S. to North/South/Central Asia goes up to 80K each way for Star business, 120/130/140K each way for Star first. And that's only some of the wide-reaching carnage.

Originally Posted by jbm326
So for *A business/first awards, it is better to switch earnings to Miles and More, no?
No way!

LH was probably the one that led to this decision - they announced some weeks ago that all lower Y fares are now going to earn only *50%* of what they used to - and this is what UA will have to follow as well, so a double-whammy! (If you fly in Y - but P-class and Z-class on LH have already been reduced for EQM and PQM!)

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
LAST STRAW..............GOOD BYE UA, HELLO AA. The Only reason I stuck it out this long with UA was for the F awards on LH. Id rather pay the fuel surcharges and take BA or just take CX to Asia. UA just took the ONLY reason I've stuck with them this long away
+1.

I just cannot believe it - couldn't United have done a simple 10% increase every year???

Anyway, UA metal ex-India has just become *worse* than Air India (yes, believe it) in terms of catering, so there is no point flying their old BF product - the Gulf carriers are now going to blow all these legacies away - including LH...

*No loyalty program = No loyalty = No pax willing to suffer the horrible differences on UA/LH*

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 1, 2013 at 11:22 pm
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GrizShel

>>> The following restrictions apply to "upgrades on flights to/from Northern South America and within Asia departing on or after February 1, 2014 . . . .
This was pointed out last night in posts 23 and 37 (and many times since). Pretty crappy they eliminated RPUs and restricted GPUs without advance notice.

It appears they are upgrading one of the three daily BOG flights to an int'l 757 beginning in Feb. I don't know how they expect to fill the cabin on the two domestic F 737 flights without CPUs, RPUs, or instant upgrades.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amartin1979
This airline is a joke. After I use up my remaining miles/upgrades, I will be leaving United. After almost 1 million revenue miles with United, I'm no longer convinced that it is even worth doing the the last few miles to make it over the line to MM status.
I was gold and 1K over the past couple of years, which certainly helped me get extra RDM each year. Before today, it was bittersweet that I redeem all of my miles, but after reading this, it's simply sweet.

I did see that this affected all airlines BUT UA, but rare is that moment that I actually want to fly with them...
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Don't be absurd. Cardholders didn't create the offers, they just accepted them. Chase and UA are responsible for this mess.

You remind me of the UA flight attendants I have heard over the years berating customers for driving the airline into bankruptcy by refusing to pay higher fares. Hey, we don't set the rates, we only buy 'em.
It's a chicken or egg problem. who came first? complete tossup imo
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by craz
I read it as once you have another acrrier besides UA on the tkt then it will be considered a *A tkt and thusly youd need to use more miles.
I called Global Services today and they confirmed that when any part of the itinerary is on non-UA metal, the *A chart applies. Thus, if I fly UA for 11 hours in C to Europe, then connect on, say, LH for another 1 hour in Y, that's a 70k *A C award, and not a 50k UA C award.

Given UA doesn't fly where I go, and family flies C, this is a big unfortunate devaluation. I let the GS rep take copious notes of my specific feelings to forward up the food chain, which they did apologetically and with pleasure. If you have status, let your displeasure be clearly known.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I'm surprised to hear you say that.. Have you considered expressing your through to Martin Hand? IIRC, you had the convo with him earlier in the year..
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
I have never seen another program charge higher for alliance partners.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by sam123
I called Global Services today and they confirmed that when any part of the itinerary is on non-UA metal, the *A chart applies. Thus, if I fly UA for 11 hours in C to Europe, then connect on, say, LH for another 1 hour in Y, that's a 70k *A C award, and not a 50k UA C award.

Given UA doesn't fly where I go, and family flies C, this is a big unfortunate devaluation. I let the GS rep take copious notes of my specific feelings to forward up the food chain, which they did apologetically and with pleasure. If you have status, let your displeasure be clearly known.
I think that is a mistake (or otherwise what it says on the chart is a mistake), if you're willing to take that connection intra-europe on LH in Y then you can use the UA Award Chart as it states:

This chart also applies to Business/First Awards for itineraries that include travel on both United and at least one partner when at least one flight segment on a partner is in Business or First
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sam123

UA Insider clarified earlier that the UA chart applies so long as the *A flight is in a lesser class of service. For example, you can take UA metal to FRA in F and transfer to LH J and its a UA award, or UA in J and transfer to LH in Y. This would be tolerable for an intra-Europe connection (where J is worthless anyway). See Post #622.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.