Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:42 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Well for me it's not that horrible.
90% of my intl flying (and family flying) is USA-Europe. If I can just find C space on a UA flight then a Y conx in Europe to KRK will fall under the United award chart. And C intra Europe sucks, so it's not too bad.

Though I will still write/email to the wiki links as this is still unfair of allowing 2 award charts.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I passed the 2MM on Wednesday to get the devaluation notice on Thursday. I have 1.7MM in my account.

I live in the US and NZ. There are no UA flights to NZ. 90% of my flights to NZ are on UA via SYD instead of partners. I have over 150K miles this year. I pay my own tab. I just tried to book a Biz/FC award ticket to NZ March 10-31 departure- not available. Are we reducing available seats too?
I will be contacting AA for a status match.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:50 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by zebranz
I passed the 2MM on Wednesday to get the devaluation notice on Thursday. I have 1.7MM in my account.

I live in the US and NZ. There are no UA flights to NZ. 90% of my flights to NZ are on UA via SYD instead of partners. I have over 150K miles this year. I pay my own tab. I just tried to book a Biz/FC award ticket to NZ March 10-31 departure- not available. Are we reducing available seats too?
I will be contacting AA for a status match.
Could you do UA to SYD in C/F and then NZ in Y?
If you have 1.7MM on your account, then it's def time to plan your trips for all of next year.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Sorry if this has been asked already, but where did the (non-United) *A Standard awards go? In the chart (p. 3) I'm only seeing "lower" amounts which must correspond to Saver.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MileCards
In case it's useful, there are tables here for a side by side comparison of United's new chart with American and Delta

http://milecards.com/7620/how-united...you-should-do/

Scroll down past the 'what you should' do section to see them
Thanks this is nice to have!

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
People, stop writing your complaints here. Contact united. Let them know.
It won't matter. It's not as if anyone at UA is surprised that there is negative reaction, or didn't account for the backlash in making the decision.

Similarly some of the talk elsewhere in the thread of complaining to Chase, cancelling cards, etc. is tilting at windmills. Maybe some small number of FT-type folks will cancel cards over this...not a noticeable hit to Chase in any way.

Not to say this doesn't stink to high heaven, but it's like the old saw "you can't fight city hall"
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by zebranz
I have 1.7MM in my account.
You must be in a bad temper today
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jason8612
Could you do UA to SYD in C/F and then NZ in Y?
If you have 1.7MM on your account, then it's def time to plan your trips for all of next year.
Or, get up to 90 posts and head for the Coupon Connection!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I won't speak to the relative scope of this devaluation of MP and or any particular awards, but there are a few themes I would love to cover:

1) There is no doubt in my mind that this is an attempt from management to prop up 4Q results.

2) There is no doubt that the profligacy of manufactured spend and the crapload of old and new bloggers who are advocating for it and teaching it may represent a relatively small number of MP members, but I posit that they create a significant liability to UA. It should not come as a surprise that their legs were eventually cut off at the knees.

3) There is no doubt that having F cabins full of 20 year old college students taking pictures and writing critical trip reports for all to see, is frowned upon by paying F customers and by extension the Star Alliance Carriers.

4) There is no doubt that AA will devalue at some point in the next 12 months...merger or no merger. While the transfer options to AA are less lucrative than UR, Citi has whored out the Aadvantage cards for churning at nauseam, and even without manufactured spend, large points balances could be racked up. Those points 'gotta go somewhere' at some point.

5) For all those of you who are upset about award redemption levels, I suggest a massive caveat emptor before you switch your flying to AA. As an EXP and AA fanboy supreme for over a decade, let me tell you that the AA today is a far cry from the AA a few years ago and that they have devalued MASSIVELY over the last year or two.

On the award front, they have simply chosen a different devaluation method than UA...namely to restrict availability to near zero for Saaver awards and thereby forcing AAnytime redemptions and Saaver redemptions on BA as much as possible.

A while ago, I was looking for award inventory to Europe for my wife and kids (I was goi to pay my way) in Y class for March of 2013. There was really zero availability on AA metal, so I looked at BA, and lo and behold, there was plenty of availability. But the award I was trying to book (AUS-LHR/CDG-AUS) came up as $2200 in fees and YQ. Revenue Y tix for the same days would have come out to $2900. So 120k miles would have bought me $700. So I redeemed MP miles instead with minimal taxes.

But BA has also put the ax to the most desirable routes, especially during heavy travel times...try getting to CPT on BA in 2014 for example...not what it used to be. AB and IB are better, but AB cannot be flown if you check bags and IB YQ has been on the rise as well.

AA also has some other issues now (since the great status match floodgates were opened) that i will dive into in my next post...I have to run to catch a flight.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:14 am

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

I'm sure most of everyone in the forum is in "Chris Brown" mode the last day or so, but shouldn't anybody that can just hedge against UA devaluation with MS if they have it available to them. Conservatively just multiply the award cost by .008 and you would have your cost.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA
burned my MP balance in last 12 hrs

well, I did not get much sleep but I managed to book 3 more trips for 2014 and bring my account balance to <70K (basically a starting point for any chase cc holder), all in C with a stopover and mostly on *A metal: to KEF/VIE, IST/LIS and ZRH/PRG. Did not explore much Asia and South America since I'm frequent there on business anyway. And I did move several upcoming biz trips from UA to OW.

I hope I understand the reasons why UA made a move (Chaseholics, mileagerunners, balance sheet whatever) and I WILL VOTE WITH MY PERSONAL AND BUSINESS $$$ AGAINST IT.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by sanfran767
Sorry if this has been asked already, but where did the (non-United) *A Standard awards go? In the chart (p. 3) I'm only seeing "lower" amounts which must correspond to Saver.
They never existed, all *A flights price at the saver level.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It won't matter. It's not as if anyone at UA is surprised that there is negative reaction, or didn't account for the backlash in making the decision.
"
Complaining is a waste of time. The only thing they will pay attention to is people voting with their feet, and since they believe most of us are captive, they believe they can continue to screw us when and wherever they wish.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Wow. If UAMP members keep burning their miles that fast as it is showing in this thread, then UA will have the lowest FFP miles liability at their year end balance sheets amongst all major airlines
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
DWFI,

I have the same question, please let me know if you find the answer.
It was answered already, and now in the wiki.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
We stop as of yesterday morning using our Chase MP visa cards. One of the only ways UA can feel the ouch. When I return into the office will work on using all of our MP points for multiple "once in a lifetime" trips.

At the new award point requirements there is no reason to use our Chase product to gather points. Our regular accumulation keeping status is sufficient going forward for what will be our minimal award booking needs out of UA.

That all being said devaluation has been occurring and can only see it continue with airline, car and hotel programs. Gather and spend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.