Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:47 am

I haven't been in the travel game very long, but between this and the Hilton devaluation earlier this year, I sometimes wonder if it is worth bothering with.

United, I have 4-5 RT business flights from NYC-HKG coming up the next few months (I am writing this in HKG airport). Time to switch to American/Cathay Pacific. I am kissing *A goodbye. I was willing to sacrifice comfort for the benefits of the Mileageplus program, but now I have no reason NOT to fly Cathay Pacific back and forth.

My 140,000 mile redemption earlier this year would now be 260,000. Ridiculous.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by alexj7
I was willing to sacrifice comfort for the benefits of the Mileageplus program, but now I have no reason NOT to fly Cathay Pacific back and forth.
It is the right decision for you. UA J class is rubbish when you compare to CX and the mileage devaluation it is trash right now.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
It is the right decision for you. UA J class is rubbish when you compare to CX and the mileage devaluation it is trash right now.
I am in the same boat and always flew UA for the miles, now bye bye UA and hello CX where you can credit AS which at least for now has very reasonable redemption levels. Also the service and seat on CX blows UA out of the water and the food is marginally better too (oh and the lounges are no contest). Sometimes the cost might be higher on CX but my company pays and I now have zero reason to give UA about $7500 worth of business every 6 weeks.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Smile What a clueless CEO

Aaron:
Can you tell Jeff how embarrassing this is for you guys with all your advertising about being friendly! Time for him to go back to the court room & get a CEO who actually knows how to run an airline. M+ was the reason to stay with United but now it's time to go elsewhere! The letters are coming!
-UFFA
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by alexj7
I haven't been in the travel game very long, but between this and the Hilton devaluation earlier this year, I sometimes wonder if it is worth bothering with.
Funny that I started a thread in early April at Hilton Honors forum Who is jumping ship due to point devaluation? Where and when to jump?, and stated “I hope what happens to the hotel industry lately is not contagious. The only fear I have is the Airlines will start doing the same on the frequent flyer miles we have accumulated. cross fingers...amen”

Now my only fear finally comes true!!!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I agree 100% - my obsession with earning miles sometimes warps my perspective. CX non-stop is far superior to taking UA non-stop or a *A connection. Especially if I'm not footing the bill .
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
What strikes me is how hypocritical UA management is. The 1st February was not chosen at random. They want people to redeem their miles, as much as possible. This is a very low season between Christmas and Memorial Day with small demand and a lot of distressed inventory. Between now and Feb 1, many people will find awards for C and A cabins. The announcement (November 1) and the new rules (February 1) days were chosen very carefully. Thus, when Jeff was talking about "Friendly United" one month ago, he was well aware of the MP miles devaluation plan.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: VAG
Oh man, I'm so glad I stopped flying United and just finished burning all my United miles (on SQ, TK and LH, natch).

(A good question: why the hell do I still spend so much time on the United boards? I dunno, because the Virgin Australia board is a ghost town... )
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: DL/PM/2MM TK*G
Anyone leaving United for other airlines, put ^ to show UA what they get at the end by doing this unbelievable changes!

Good bye United!
I miss the friendly sky

^
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by ciao114
Anyone leaving United for other airlines, put ^ to show UA what they get at the end by doing this unbelievable changes!
Luckily, I am not leaving the boat while it is starting to sink. I have done that since last year and I am happy right now with the combo of AA/BA ^

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Nov 2, 2013 at 3:14 am
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:31 am

Burn baby burn...Disco inferno those united miles. Goodbye United. It was nice doing business with you and your partners. My Check list: 1. Burn united miles 2. Cancel United credit cards. 3. Pay cash and ask for cash discount everywhere I makes purchases.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
If you look at miles as worth some cash value, and the price of airline tickets goes up (fuel, service, etc.) then it does make sense.

Not to the degree UA has done it, but modest creep in relation to ticket prices could be justified.
But originally miles weren't worth a fixed amount of cash, and weren't even tied to cash. They were earned by flying 1 mile with a specific airline. If miles could ONLY be earned by flying, then they would be worth something related to what it costs to fly a mile (and as fuel prices go up, and ticket prices go up, so do the value of the miles).
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Oh man, I'm so glad I stopped flying United and just finished burning all my United miles (on SQ, TK and LH, natch).

(A good question: why the hell do I still spend so much time on the United boards? I dunno, because the Virgin Australia board is a ghost town... )
Jorgen, as a fellow Aussie UA flyer, which airline have you moved to? As a UA flyer since 1984 I am stuck as to which airline to move to as I feel UA, despite all the devaluations since CO took over, still has the best FF program. These changes stink but on the whole we Aussie flyers have not been hit as hard as our US colleagues. However, day by day I am realizing that the UA I knew and treated me as a valued Elite no longer exists.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jfk747
I have never seen another program charge higher for alliance partners.
SQ KrisFlyer does as well. However everyone who is on Krisflyer prefers to redeem it on its own metal.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
many of the one-world programms have also different spending ratios if you redeem on foreign metal

As little as I like the changes - it is not UA making the trend but purely following the rest of FF programs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.