Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:41 pm

I'm trying to work out what extent of changes I can make. I'm currently booked on EVA Air business, DPS - TPE - SFO - AUS. Wondering if I can change to DPS - BKK - FRA (TG business) - ORD (LH business) - AUS (United Econ) about a week later than my original plans?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: PP
I have US->SE Asia award, booked before 2/1. I wanted to change my ticket date. I used United award search online to check flight. I notice that the new award flight I selected (showing $0 due) has fare class "S" - not "Y" on my original award ticket. On the 'rules and restrictions' page, it said "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary."

I am wondering if I choose to change this award this time, can I change this award again in the future? I am holding off on changing my award for now until this issue is further clarified. Can anybody help enlighten me on this?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pmanisa
I have US->SE Asia award, booked before 2/1. I wanted to change my ticket date. I used United award search online to check flight. I notice that the new award flight I selected (showing $0 due) has fare class "S" - not "Y" on my original award ticket. On the 'rules and restrictions' page, it said "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary."

I am wondering if I choose to change this award this time, can I change this award again in the future? I am holding off on changing my award for now until this issue is further clarified. Can anybody help enlighten me on this?
I thought economy award tickets book into fare class X or, perhaps, XN? Award tickets are subject to a set of change policies that's distinct from ordinary fare policies, I believe.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jbsay
I thought economy award tickets book into fare class X or, perhaps, XN? Award tickets are subject to a set of change policies that's distinct from ordinary fare policies, I believe.
jbsay, you are correct that the final booking shows X or XN. However, before you book, you can click 'see fare rules' and on the fare rules page (after entering CAPTCHA code) you will see the fair class of the award ticket, which was 'Y' ...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
jbsay, you are correct that the final booking shows X or XN. However, before you book, you can click 'see fare rules' and on the fare rules page (after entering CAPTCHA code) you will see the fair class of the award ticket, which was 'Y' ...
The rules of Y fares certainly do not apply to award tickets. I'm also confused about your prior post about seeing "S" class availability and trying to base award inventory off that. S is a deep-discount revenue bucket and is not tied, as far as I know, to any reward bucket.

The change fees (miles and dollars) for your current US-->SE Asia flight will depend on whether the itinerary needs to be repriced or not. If you're just doing a date change (more than 21 days out) then you shouldn't have to pay anything because there is no need to reprice the ticket and UA waives the change fee.

If you change fare buckets or the routing you'll have to deal with the new award chart because the ticket will need to be repriced. Even if you're platinum and above and don't pay change fees, the repricing issue still applies.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by TommyC80
The rules of Y fares certainly do not apply to award tickets. I'm also confused about your prior post about seeing "S" class availability and trying to base award inventory off that. S is a deep-discount revenue bucket and is not tied, as far as I know, to any reward bucket.

The change fees (miles and dollars) for your current US-->SE Asia flight will depend on whether the itinerary needs to be repriced or not. If you're just doing a date change (more than 21 days out) then you shouldn't have to pay anything because there is no need to reprice the ticket and UA waives the change fee.

If you change fare buckets or the routing you'll have to deal with the new award chart because the ticket will need to be repriced. Even if you're platinum and above and don't pay change fees, the repricing issue still applies.
Sorry if I make you guys confused. Maybe (hopefully) what I saw does not mean anything. I will just go ahead and change the award ticket.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I have a RETURN booked for Mid Feb 2014. I do not plan to fly it, and do not have any dates set so far.

I remember, someone mention on forums that an agent suggested to put it on some kind of HOLD and only CHARGE the CHANGE FEE, One time when the person actually commits to a new Return Date for Award Round Trip.

Not sure where I read it and who wrote it.

I can still do the above? Right?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Question

So say you have a one way award:

BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-ORD, UA F
ORD-SFO UA F

Assuming availability, I would like to switch my flight to:

BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SFO, LH F

I think this should be fine as I understand UA Insider's comments.

What if in addition I wanted to change the destination to something in the same region, like PDX?

BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SFO, LH F
SFO-PDX, UA F

Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)

So now I have changed the destination and the carrier, hence I think I have broken the rules at this point, and I get a reprice correct?
(However anecdotally it seems people are able to make these changes?)

What if I change one, and then come back pay the fees again and change the other, or is that where alarms go off, and they will not do it? Sorry I keep reading more of people's experiences, and it makes me question my understanding of what Aaron said.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Derrico
So say you have a one way award:

BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-ORD, UA F
ORD-SFO UA F

Assuming availability, I would like to switch my flight to:

BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SFO, LH F

I think this should be fine as I understand UA Insider's comments.

What if in addition I wanted to change the destination to something in the same region, like PDX?

BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SFO, LH F
SFO-PDX, UA F

Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)

So now I have changed the destination and the carrier, hence I think I have broken the rules at this point, and I get a reprice correct?
(However anecdotally it seems people are able to make these changes?)

What if I change one, and then come back pay the fees again and change the other, or is that where alarms go off, and they will not do it? Sorry I keep reading more of people's experiences, and it makes me question my understanding of what Aaron said.
I think that there isn't and probably won't be a definitive answer on this. I think it will be very much a YMMV situation depending on agent. I think that what you are trying would be doable by an agent but can't say the likelihood of finding one to do it.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:03 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
ugh what a mess... tried making a date change on my AUS-ORD-NRT/HND-KIX-BKK F ticket, it let me select new flights, said 0 mileage difference even with a routing change (AUS-ORD-NRT/HND-BKK) but clicking on change ticket it errored out.... now trying to get agents to fix the ticket they keep coming back and saying I need more miles.. also they are putting me in J not F.

edit they are also claiming 16 hrs 'connection' NRT-HND is now counts as an additional 10k?

double edit. had them change it back to my original dates. They kept claiming AUS-NRT, HND-BKK should not have priced out to begin with... even with < 24hr stop in TYO.

Last edited by hauteboy; Feb 8, 2014 at 12:18 pm
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Good news :-)

I just checked by changing my pre-2/1 award ticket online, now it shows 0 miles needed for different dates/same class of service. The online system is now working again!!! Thank you, United.
Thanks for the tip. I just tried my pre-2/1 "cancel and rebook later" award with an available date and you are correct - the system now correctly prices it at 0 miles.

Good news indeed.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by austinpop
Thanks for the tip. I just tried my pre-2/1 "cancel and rebook later" award with an available date and you are correct - the system now correctly prices it at 0 miles.

Good news indeed.
So, I guess this means Dan's Deals is vindicated? Did not see that coming...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jbsay
So, I guess this means Dan's Deals is vindicated? Did not see that coming...
Wow, sorry Dan I did not see that one coming.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hauteboy
ugh what a mess... tried making a date change on my AUS-ORD-NRT/HND-KIX-BKK F ticket, it let me select new flights, said 0 mileage difference even with a routing change (AUS-ORD-NRT/HND-BKK) but clicking on change ticket it errored out.... now trying to get agents to fix the ticket they keep coming back and saying I need more miles.. also they are putting me in J not F.

edit they are also claiming 16 hrs 'connection' NRT-HND is now counts as an additional 10k?

double edit. had them change it back to my original dates. They kept claiming AUS-NRT, HND-BKK should not have priced out to begin with... even with < 24hr stop in TYO.
I'm in a similar boat. I had SFO-TPE-NRT//HND-TSA (<24 hour stopover) booked. Asked to change the dates only, same routing, wanted me to pay the miles difference. Got a "one time exception" spiel and got them to make the change after pushing, but could easily see most paying more miles. I wonder if it has to do with the separation of Japan into its own award category.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I'm in a similar boat. I had SFO-TPE-NRT//HND-TSA (<24 hour stopover) booked. Asked to change the dates only, same routing, wanted me to pay the miles difference. Got a "one time exception" spiel and got them to make the change after pushing, but could easily see most paying more miles. I wonder if it has to do with the separation of Japan into its own award category.
I think there are some hidden restrictions we do not know about Japan.

I tried to do a multi-city booking with the new chart

ICN-HKG-NRT-ICN and it errors out. At first I thought it was due to 3 regions involved.

However I can do ICN-BKK-SYD-BKK-HKG-ICN, with stop at both SYD and HKG, and 3 regions involved, website priced out with as a R/T N Asia to Australia and allowed the stopover at S Asia (HKG).

Yet whenever JPN is involved, nothing seems to work other than the most simple itineraries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.