Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA GS or QR Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
UA GS or QR Platinum?

My dear FT friends: I have to decide this week if I am staying a loyal United Mileage Plus member (Global Services), or fully moving to Qatar Airways PLATINUM, which equals OneWorld Emerald. For this, I must quickly decide to fly UA throughout the remainder of 2013, or shift fully to Qatar. Please advice. Please advice.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Please provide much more demographic data. You have not given nearly enough information for us to be of help to you, or provide anything other than surface level advice.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
given your location it very much sounds like QR is your future partner - but I would agree with the previous poster more info on your travel pattern is needed to get you the best partner
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Please provide much more demographic data. You have not given nearly enough information for us to be of help to you, or provide anything other than surface level advice.
Thanks anc-ord772 and appenzeller! My home is in Eldridge, Maryland (close to BWI Airport), currently living and working in Kathmandu Nepal -for at least 2 more years.

I am a proud and loyal UA, near 2-million-miler, and GS for the last couple of years. I love United and all that this wonderful airline stands for.

Fact: The closest UA 'gets to me,' here in KTM, is to Delhi, India and to Bangkok, Thailand.

I flew Qatar Airways on several occasion intra-Asia, and I am now only 300 Privilege Club QPoints away from their highest tier 'Platinum. This equals Emerald in the OneWorld Alliance.

I travel to the US very frequently. Mostly to BWI and PDX, via DEL-EWR, and I believe to be close to 2014 GS re-qualification, if I fly two more R/Ts DEL-EWR in B.

With 4 flights per day from Kathmandu to Doha, QR flies daily: Doha-ORD; Doha-IAH; Doha-JFK, Doha-IAD, and (I heard), soon Doha-MIA. So Qatar Airways can get me comfortably to the US from Kathmandu!

My real question is: What am I giving up from my dear UA to gain from QR? (and OneWorld Emerald).

Thanks so much, FT friends
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Would you still be able to maintain 1K status on UNITED?

Has GS been of significant benefit to you?

Would QR provide the same (or better) level of service in your opinion? Although my guess is that you've asked here because you don't know.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
How about getting United GS and then doing a status match? AA gave me EXP (One World Emerald) for a year as an United 1K (plus a soft landing of Platimum for the next year.) No experience with QR.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
How close are you to 2MM miles? If a couple of round trips will get you lifetime Platinum, it may be worth it. That assumes that you would be in a position to use the benefits later on (like no close in booking/change fees on awards).
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OP should also consider TK flies out of KTM to IST - and then he could connect to the US. Then he at least gets the PQMs - but I guess not anything towards GS.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Would you still be able to maintain 1K status on UNITED? Yes, I have already qualified for 1K, for 2014

Has GS been of significant benefit to you? I like the super-priority boarding on the smaller planes, and especially the 5/5, and now the PN upgrades

Would QR provide the same (or better) level of service in your opinion? Although my guess is that you've asked here because you don't know. I really don't know ...
Originally Posted by if1km
How about getting United GS and then doing a status match? AA gave me EXP (One World Emerald) for a year as an United 1K (plus a soft landing of Platinum for the next year.) No experience with QR.

Thank you for this suggestion. I did contact QR. The best status match they do - with mucho mucho effort is SILVER only.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
How close are you to 2MM miles? If a couple of round trips will get you lifetime Platinum, it may be worth it. That assumes that you would be in a position to use the benefits later on (like no close in booking/change fees on awards).
As of today
Lifetime Flight Miles: 1,857,574
I guess I will need some more then just a few R/Ts

Originally Posted by aacharya
OP should also consider TK flies out of KTM to IST - and then he could connect to the US. Then he at least gets the PQMs - but I guess not anything towards GS .

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 20, 2013 at 10:01 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
there are a lot of questions that need answering to think about this logically....

(1) what benefits do you see from GS? You said that you buy "B" fares (Coach) and if you are flying BWI-EWR-DEL than some other carrier to Katmandu, then you are doing it the hard way for sure....

But GS gives you better IRROPS (which you might need with those connections) and better upgrade clearance. However, if you are on B fares, then your SWUs should clear anyway, so all you are really getting from GS is better IRROPs handling. What is that worth to you? (don't think too much about lifetime PLT, its not really worth that much over Gold at this point, and I say that as someone with 1.9M on UAL and transitioning away.

(2) if you fly QR as PLT, what class would be it be in? I see that QR has "Qcredits" that can use used for upgrades, but how many? Someone who knows QR can tell you, or do a search.

(3) If the upgrades are similar, and I had to do either BWI-EWR-DEL - some other airline to KTM or IAD-Doha-KTM on QR, and this was the route I was doing, just for the comfort I would switch.

Bottom line, look at your travel patterns, look at the hastle of the current routing, look at the number of times you will be in Y vs. Business, and look at the clearly better QR service and decide what makes sense for now.

UA does not value you, so look at what makes the most sense to you, loyalty to UAL is just misplaced at this point.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spin88
there are a lot of questions that need answering to think about this logically....

(1) what benefits do you see from GS? You said that you buy "B" fares (Coach) and if you are flying BWI-EWR-DEL than some other carrier to Katmandu, then you are doing it the hard way for sure... Dear spin88: It is indeed "the hard way!" KTM DEL on 9W (Jet Airways) and a 10 hours layover at IGIA, before catching the 22:50hrs, 15 hours 82 to EWR.

But GS gives you better IRROPS (which you might need with those connections) and better upgrade clearance. However, if you are on B fares, then your SWUs should clear anyway (100% clearing in the past 2 years!) , so all you are really getting from GS is better IRROPs handling. What is that worth to you? I am never really in a hurry so even with IRROPs, UA will eventually get me there. (I must confess, however, that I do like Norma speeding me along the tarmac in a Mercedes). Don't think too much about lifetime PLT, its not really worth that much over Gold at this point, and I say that as someone with 1.9M on UAL and transitioning away. Ooh where are you transitioning to?

(2) if you fly QR as PLT, what class would be it be in? Mostly paid business, which is about the same cost as B on United. I see that QR has "Qcredits" that can be used for upgrades, but how many? Someone who knows QR can tell you, or do a search. I will do, thanks.

(3) If the upgrades are similar, and I had to do either BWI-EWR-DEL - some other airline to KTM or IAD-Doha-KTM on QR, and this was the route I was doing, just for the comfort I would switch. Not only the routing is more comfortable. Qatar's on-board comfort is amazing. Their inflight service is at least 10 notches higher than UA these days. And yet ... the UA 777, and the cabin crew I have come to know, have become like 'home' and 'family'to me

Bottom line, (1) look at your travel patterns, (2) look at the hassle of the current routing, (3) look at the number of times you will be in Y vs. Business, and (4) look at the clearly better QR service and decide what makes sense for now. If I consider these 4 things, and knowing that I will mostly buy QR's very affordable discounted business fare, my choice should be obvious, nah? Yet hesitating.

UA does not value you, so look at what makes the most sense to you, loyalty to UAL is just misplaced at this point. Very sad - mostly true.
Thanks so much for this detailed guidance!

Last edited by OnePassenger; Oct 20, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
If you buy B fares and you make GS, you will have a good chance to get upgraded to business. Will Qatar offer similar benefit? If not, I suspect that you would be better off in UA C class than Qatar economy.

If you can buy business class fares, than minimum comfort requirements are met on either airline and you should consider convenience of schedules, your opinion on quality of service on the carriers and how the status will benefit your future travel needs.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
If your choices are paid business on Qatar or B fares and upgrades on United, fly Qatar. Confirmed business beats playing upgrade roulette every time.

OW status is icing on the cake - you won't get US domestic upgrades, but you will get premium check in and lounge access on BA/AA/CX (something you wouldn't get with, say, EK or EY).

When you move back to the US, you can re-evaluate your preferred carrier.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Thanks so much for this detailed guidance!
If you are getting discount Biz on QR for the same price as B on UA (not surprising to me) then its a no brainer. The QR points can be used for upgrades to FC (check details, but a quick search leads me to think so) so if I were you, I would take the easier routing, the better service, and use the points they give you for upgrades to go into FC on QR, which will be 200x better than UAL BF...

I've switched mostly to DL and AS for west coast flights.... Service of both for me is better than as a GS on UAL. GS is not what is used to be... sad, but true...

next year I will be GOLD on UAL (my MM status) And in a few more years, perhaps I will fly the 100K I need for 2MM, and PLT. But until there is a serious revamp of UAL, its not worth my $$$$ at this point.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya
OP should also consider TK flies out of KTM to IST - and then he could connect to the US. Then he at least gets the PQMs - but I guess not anything towards GS.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. KTM-IST-IAD. Would have worked even better in terms of flying United metal if UA wasn't axing the IST-EWR flight later this week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.