Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Gets SFO ↔ Tokyo Haneda Authority - Service starts 26 Oct. 2014.

United Gets SFO ↔ Tokyo Haneda Authority - Service starts 26 Oct. 2014.

Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by unavaca
The one hitch with SFO-HND-TSA is that it'd probably take away seats from SFO-TPE, which they're still trying to launch. Given how many times they've delayed it to use its aircraft on other routes, they don't seem to think much of the route or it could be marginally profitable as is.
If they could pull it off, UA might be better off with SFO-HND-TSA and just give up relaunching SFO-TPE. I agree with Neil35 on this aspect: whatever is left of UA's TPE customer base (including me) has mostly found their ways elsewhere. Besides, SFO-TPE is already served pretty well by *A, via BR.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
hope it get approved! Id much prefer HND for both domestic transits & heading into Tokyo!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
If they could pull it off, UA might be better off with SFO-HND-TSA and just give up relaunching SFO-TPE. I agree with Neil35 on this aspect: whatever is left of UA's TPE customer base (including me) has mostly found their ways elsewhere. Besides, SFO-TPE is already served pretty well by *A, via BR.
I'm one of those that prefer SFO-TPE since I'm connecting to HSR to the South.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
And isn't TSA airport just a Metro ride to Taipei Station as opposed to the bus from TPE to Taoyuan Station?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by jamar
And isn't TSA airport just a Metro ride to Taipei Station as opposed to the bus from TPE to Taoyuan Station?
TSA is two Metro trains and two extra stops on the HSR, so it's quite a ways farther than TPE. The bus isn't particularly great, especially for foreigners, but hopefully it'll improve if they ever finish the MRT line between TPE and Taoyuen station.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Unless UA can find additional slots from HND, there won't be any UA flights to Taiwan from Haneda. UA is applying for one pair of slots that will permit it to land at HND from SFO (no earlier than 10 pm) and to depart HND for SFO (between midnight and 7 am). No possibility of a tag flight to Taiwan or anywhere else.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The beyond rights are in the Haneda agreement and DL is even speaking of moving its whole 5th freedom operation there; I figure the possibility exists.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by jamar
The beyond rights are in the Haneda agreement and DL is even speaking of moving its whole 5th freedom operation there
That will be in the very long term if it happens at all. The next allocation will only involve four new slot pairs for US carriers. It is the only allocation planned for the foreseeable future and there is really no more room for expansion unless they build even more international terminal space (not entirely out of the question but not likely anytime soon)
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Any discussion on UA's application for SFO-HND

UA has applied to take over the HND slot AA just gave up and use it on SFO-HND. Where is this being discussed in the forum?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geclub1
UA has applied to take over the HND slot AA just gave up and use it on SFO-HND. Where is this being discussed in the forum?
I understand the search function isn't too great but "sfo"+"HND"+"AA" quickly yields in the first 5 choices
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...authority.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-hnd-slot.html
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I understand the search function isn't too great but "sfo"+"HND"+"AA" quickly yields in the first 5 choices
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...authority.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-hnd-slot.html
Thank you!

Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
Looks like UA has a lot of competition for the HND route.
I read through a few of the current briefs for this docket and I only see
UA's SFO-HND
and
HA's KOA-HND.

Is my reading of the docket correct?

If that's true, shouldn't UA's chance be pretty good?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Any idea when DOT will make a decision on UA's application?

Any idea when DOT will make a decision on UA's application?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
It may be concurrent with whatever decision is made about daytime slots between Japan and the US, which should happen Any Day Now.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are quite a few flights into HND nowadays from other Asian destinations. So, I guess UA can pick up the connecting passengers. The down side is with a late departure, there might not be good connection out of SFO to the east coast until the redeye. I think the NH HND flight get into LAX at 6 PM. SFO can be a little earlier but still can't get too far beyond.

If UA gets it and does a late departure (on both ends), it actually opens up a nice alternate scheduling for many. SFO-HND can connect to BKK and SIN redeyes, I think. TSA, GMP and SHA are too close to have late night departures out of HND.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by unavaca
TSA is two Metro trains and two extra stops on the HSR, so it's quite a ways farther than TPE. The bus isn't particularly great, especially for foreigners, but hopefully it'll improve if they ever finish the MRT line between TPE and Taoyuen station.
Huh ??, TSA is way closer to town than TPE is. We got to TSA airport in about 10 min, it's a looooong way out to TPE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.