Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus Shopping Gift Guide 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Mileage Plus Shopping Gift Guide 2013

I have received the Mileage Plus Shopping Gift Guide in time for the holidays. Some of the smaller items have a so-so “price” using points as opposed to buying the items for cash. But for other items – who in the world set those prices? Granted, I have 1.9 million miles in my account. Maybe they think since I have so many miles, the “price” of the items does not matter. Maybe they are wanting me to use up some of the miles. But come on!?!?!

What started me thinking this weekend, I saw the Miele coffee system for sale at Williams Sonoma this weekend for $2,499…and thought WHOA! For a coffee system? Then I saw the same coffee system in the MP catalogue. Suddenly, $2,499 is cheap. Here are my thoughts …….
  • The Miele CM5200 Countertop Coffee System is 252,000 points. Available on line for $2,299…or I could use the points for (almost) 2 GF saver awards to Europe! Of take a family of 4 to the Caribbean in first (on 2-cabin aircraft).
  • The 11” inch MacBook Air is 112,000 points. Available on line for around $1,000….or I could use the points for two first class saver (2-cabin) tickets in the US/Alaska/Canada and some points left over.
  • The LG 84” Ultra HD TV is 1,386,000 points. Available on line for about $16,000….or I could use the points for ELEVEN GF saver awards to Europe or Japan, or EIGHT GF saver awards to Australia and some points left over. Or, take your family and friends, SEVENTEEN of them, to Hawaii, in first on a 2-cabin aircraft.
  • The Bose CineMate 1 SR Home Theater system is 144,700 points. Available on line for $1399…or I could use the points for 1 GF saver award to Europe with some points left over.
  • The Versace Mystique watch is 135,000 points. Available on line for about $1500….or I could use the points for 1 GF saver award to Europe and enough for two first class saver awards (on 2-cabin aircraft) with enough to take along the munchkin…so long as you stick him in Y.
So, to me, this price structure does not make sense.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevinsac
... So, to me, this price structure does not make sense.
the price structure is roughly +1 cpm (and sometimes less).

To many the merchandise is the prefer choice over flights to European, Asia, ...
maybe not for you or me....
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:52 pm

I generally stay away from the merch and don't find it to be competitively priced for how I value miles (think upgrades, saver awards, etc). Also, I imagine some merch company is taking their cut along the way increasing the prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.