Oct 14, 13, 4:39 pm
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: UA 1K/MM; SPG Platinum; MHC Lifetime; Tarheel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Mileage Plus Shopping Gift Guide 2013
I have received the Mileage Plus Shopping Gift Guide in time for the holidays. Some of the smaller items have a so-so “price” using points as opposed to buying the items for cash. But for other items – who in the world set those prices? Granted, I have 1.9 million miles in my account. Maybe they think since I have so many miles, the “price” of the items does not matter. Maybe they are wanting me to use up some of the miles. But come on!?!?!
What started me thinking this weekend, I saw the Miele coffee system for sale at Williams Sonoma this weekend for $2,499…and thought WHOA! For a coffee system? Then I saw the same coffee system in the MP catalogue. Suddenly, $2,499 is cheap. Here are my thoughts …….
- The Miele CM5200 Countertop Coffee System is 252,000 points. Available on line for $2,299…or I could use the points for (almost) 2 GF saver awards to Europe! Of take a family of 4 to the Caribbean in first (on 2-cabin aircraft).
- The 11” inch MacBook Air is 112,000 points. Available on line for around $1,000….or I could use the points for two first class saver (2-cabin) tickets in the US/Alaska/Canada and some points left over.
- The LG 84” Ultra HD TV is 1,386,000 points. Available on line for about $16,000….or I could use the points for ELEVEN GF saver awards to Europe or Japan, or EIGHT GF saver awards to Australia and some points left over. Or, take your family and friends, SEVENTEEN of them, to Hawaii, in first on a 2-cabin aircraft.
- The Bose CineMate 1 SR Home Theater system is 144,700 points. Available on line for $1399…or I could use the points for 1 GF saver award to Europe with some points left over.
- The Versace Mystique watch is 135,000 points. Available on line for about $1500….or I could use the points for 1 GF saver award to Europe and enough for two first class saver awards (on 2-cabin aircraft) with enough to take along the munchkin…so long as you stick him in Y.
So, to me, this price structure does not make sense.
The shortest route from A to B does not make stops. But that won't earn me the segments and miles I need!