Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced bag check w a fee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lensman
Originally Posted by matjes
What does etiquette say for such a case?
I think it should be acceptable for passengers who find themselves without overhead space to complain about non-compliant bags in the overhead. They shouldn't have to but all this is part of the evolution of airline standard operating procedures. It's important that the airlines know that passengers care enough about having room to want other people's oversize bags checked.
Right, by the pass coming later won't know who gas how many bags in there and likely the FA has no idea either. So would it be bad/OK/expected for me (uninvolved but in the knowledge because I watched it all) to mention at this point that n bags belong to a single pax (and like incur the wrath of that pax, which could turn uncomfortable if s/he was sitting next to/behind me or could possibly cause trouble to my stowed luggage (if identifiable as mine) l
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by matjes
Right, by[but] the pass[enger] coming later won't know who gas how many bags in there and likely the FA has no idea either. So would it be bad/OK/expected for me (uninvolved but in the knowledge because I watched it all) to mention at this point that n bags belong to a single pax (and like incur the wrath of that pax, which could turn uncomfortable if s/he was sitting next to/behind me or could possibly cause trouble to my stowed luggage (if identifiable as mine) l
1. I would like to think in my fantasy world that the FA would pull the noncompliant bag, say that it will be offloaded and checked to the destination, and ask the owner to come forward to indicate the destination. In such a case, you would be doing that passenger a favor by telling them "Hey, isn't that your bag? You should speak up before they offload it!"
2. Since you're helping the other passenger out, there is less moral ambiguity because you are helping someone who needs overhead space by pointing out someone who is using more than their fair share.

Last edited by lensman; Jan 6, 2014 at 1:29 am Reason: clarified typo and unclear abbreviation in quoted post
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by lensman
1. I would like to think in my fantasy world that the FA would pull the noncompliant bag, say that it will be offloaded and checked to the destination, and ask the owner to come forward to indicate the destination. In such a case, you would be doing that passenger a favor by telling them "Hey, isn't that your bag? You should speak up before they offload it!"
2. Since you're helping the other passenger out, there is less moral ambiguity because you are helping someone who needs overhead space by pointing out someone who is using more than their fair share.
I had an FA catching non-compliant bags at the boarding door, refusing to let PAX board until the GA came down and confirmed compliance.

It was clear the bag wasn't going to make it in the sizer and it got checked, much to Mr DYKWIAs chagrin. It was probably 30% oversize...my estimate. Plus another computer roller of course.

I held back my "don't you know spinners are for kids" line out of respect.

^^^
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I had an FA catching non-compliant bags at the boarding door, refusing to let PAX board until the GA came down and confirmed compliance.

It was clear the bag wasn't going to make it in the sizer and it got checked, much to Mr DYKWIAs chagrin. It was probably 30% oversize...my estimate. Plus another computer roller of course.

I held back my "don't you know spinners are for kids" line out of respect.

^^^
Nice one! Spinners and Trunkis are usually driven by people of the same mental capacity (and I am sorry if that offends some kids out there!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.