Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 suffers minor tail damage at HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 747 suffers minor tail damage at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coutura
All this to say that it's a fair statement to be worried about an improperly done repair causing problems later. But, I would really hope lessons have been learned and repair procedures are much better now.
I, for one, hope that they take their sweet time on repairs, and wait until after the government shut-down ends. FAA inspectors are now on furlough, and I'd feel better if some oversight more than self-regulation was applied to this situation.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Out came a roll of duct tape to the rescue.
Speed tape!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
All this to say that it's a fair statement to be worried about an improperly done repair causing problems later. But, I would really hope lessons have been learned and repair procedures are much better now.
Exactly!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:51 am

saving money by doing repairs in HKG!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
If the driver had that little "Beep,Beep" radar thing I have in my car when I back up, they would not have hit the building. I haven't hit a building in a long time.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
That's NOT "minor" tail damage (photo).
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Speed tape!
Jeff adding "speed holes"!

Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My mother has the proximity alert on her jeep and it sadly hasn't stopped her from backing into a building, my father's truck and a tree. She doesn't understand why I won't ride in a car if she is driving.

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
If the driver had that little "Beep,Beep" radar thing I have in my car when I back up, they would not have hit the building. I haven't hit a building in a long time.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
That sure looks like an expensive repair to me. I wonder just how much has to be replaced?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
Quote:

Originally Posted by edcho

How the heck would you repair that?! Get a new tail?

Maybe they can find one with the tulip on it. That would be an improvement.
I came to post the same. Certainly a couple in Victorville to be had.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
The explosive decompression which occurred as a result of the aft pressure bulkhead failing ripped the vertical stabilizer off. It was because of the loss of vertical stabilizer and consequently hydraulics that the plane crashed (or the hydraulics might have been damaged during the explosive decompression). All this was caused by an improperly repaired tail following a tail strike many years earlier.

You can fly a plane unpressurized, but it's much harder to fly a plane without hydraulics (I think a DHL plane in Iraq was the only jumbo jet to do it successfully). All this to say that it's a fair statement to be worried about an improperly done repair causing problems later. But, I would really hope lessons have been learned and repair procedures are much better now.
Yes, but the vertical stabilizer wouldn't cause a blowout situation. The rudder most likely needs replacing and we will see her in skies soon I hope.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
Yes, but the vertical stabilizer wouldn't cause a blowout situation. The rudder most likely needs replacing and we will see her in skies soon I hope.
It looks like more than the rudder was damaged at the top of the tail. It would be interesting what internal components within the tail (unseen parts) was damaged/pushed around. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about more damages than the eye can see.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:51 pm

The plane in question appears to be N127UA, which flew into HKG on August 6 for maintanence and WIFI installation.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
It looks like more than the rudder was damaged at the top of the tail. It would be interesting what internal components within the tail (unseen parts) was damaged/pushed around. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about more damages than the eye can see.
It appears that way too, but I am obviously no expert on the matter!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by syzygy
The plane in question appears to be N127UA, which flew into HKG on August 6 for maintanence and WIFI installation.
Yeah, that'd be my guess too. According to the fleet status site, only two 747s were in HKG for maintenance, and only one of those (N127UA) had wi-fi. You can sort of see the Wi-Fi dome in one of the pictures I posted. Today was supposed to be (or maybe was?) a test flight. That explains the shuffling of the aircraft.

Last edited by coutura; Oct 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reason: la la la

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.