Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 26, 13, 9:26 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
26-Sep-2013 - UA1603 [IAH-SEA] Diverts to BOI Due to Crew Medical Emgergency

In Boise now after making a sudden left turn and making a quick landing. My seatmate saw CPR being performed and it was about 30 minutes from then before he was taken off the plane after parking right off the runway next to emergency vehicles.

BOI personnel very helpful but still awaiting word on replacement crew getting to BOI to advance the aircraft to SEA. No word on the condition of the Captain. It's a very sad situation.

FO reports Captain still alive but still has much recovery ahead.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 27, 13 at 11:04 am. Reason: merge
dmodemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 13, 11:59 pm   #2

Sure hope he makes it! I was on 1603 and one of the people performing the CPR. Poor guy did not look very good but miracles happen every day! A big thanks to the 2 WA radiologists, 2 FAs and 2 army guys who took turns cracking those ribs and giving rescue breaths. Oh, and to the gentleman across from me in 2E who pulled the pilot out of his cockpit seat (not an easy task).
BackOfTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 13, 12:31 am   #3

Location: SEA/NYC. DL DM charter member, UA 1K, NW Plat ('03-'09), Marriott Plat. Always somewhere, never anywhere...
Hopefully the pilot is able to make a full recovery.

UA1603 continued to SEA but didn't depart BOI until 1147pm MDT (after arriving at 811pm). Had to wait for a pilot from SFO to get to BOI.

The continuation of UA1603 SEA-ANC left 45 minutes late at 950pm this evening. Looks like because of an equipment swap because the original equipment diverted to BOI.

-RM
Old Sep 27, 13, 5:08 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, HH, MR elite. Fly AS/DL/AA. Fmr UA Plat, now Silver, soon Dirt. Also B6, BA, WN, VX, Hyatt.
26-Sep-2013 - UA1603 [IAH-SEA] Diverts to BOI Due to Crew Medical Emgergency

Don't know much. Flight was en route to SEA last night, about 160 souls on board, flight crew member survived AFAIK from ABC News early morning brief. Another crew was rousted to fly the a/c on to Seattle.
Old Sep 27, 13, 5:12 am   #5
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus

Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
26 Sept - UA1603 [IAH-SEA] Diverts to BOI Due to Crew Medical Emgergency

Sadly, this morning's live update on Good Morning America reported that the stricken crew member did not survive. If so, my condolences to the members of the United family.

Here's a link to another news report that reports otherwise; let's hope this is accurate

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/unit...g-boise/nZ8cx/

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 27, 13 at 5:38 am.
FlyinHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 13, 5:22 am   #6

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Sadly, at least one news report indicates that the stricken crew member did not survive.

Hopefully you read the above link incorrectly:

Quote:
The plane, a Boeing 737-900, landed in Boise just before 8 p.m. Paramedics met the flight and took the captain to the hospital. We are told that the captain did survive.
oblisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 13, 5:23 am   #7
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Quote:
Sadly, at least one news report indicates that the stricken crew member did not survive. My condolences to the members of the United family.

Paramedics met the flight and took the captain to the hospital. We are told that the captain did survive.

Looks like he did survive, based on that article...
glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 13, 5:39 am   #8
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus

Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
Thanks, I was watching Good Morning America's news report while typing and their reporter said the crew member passed away; I've updated my post.
Old Sep 27, 13, 6:37 am   #9
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Quote:
Thanks, I was watching Good Morning America's news report while typing and their reporter said the crew member passed away; I've updated my post.
CNN just talked about it and said "the status of the pilot is still unknown"

Hopefully Insider or someone else can confirm.
glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 13, 6:50 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glx View Post
CNN just talked about it and said "the status of the pilot is still unknown"

Hopefully Insider or someone else can confirm.
@ 8am Fox News also reported that a hospital spokesperson confirmed that the pilot didn't pull thru and passed away
Old Sep 27, 13, 6:52 am   #11

Programs: Marriott rewards platinum, american express platinum, Hertz Gold 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz View Post
@ 8am Fox News also reported that a hospital spokesperson confirmed that the pilot didn't pull thru and passed away
Same on Yahoo.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html
Old Sep 27, 13, 7:02 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2M, MR & SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat Avis Pref
I read the yahoo GMA article and they quote "that a passenger on the flight said a crew member made an in-flight announcement on the loudspeaker asking if anyone on board was a physician.

"We got a man down, chest compressions going on right now. I'm not sure too much right now the status," A United crew member said in a recorded conversation with air traffic control. "Can an ambulance and maybe some air stairs meet us on the runway?"

just wondering if there was a physician on board
Old Sep 27, 13, 7:06 am   #13

Programs: UA GS 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis First, Global Entry/NEXUS, HawaiianMiles, SPG Gold
Sad to hear, glad everyone else was safe.
kirkwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 13, 7:38 am   #14

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT 1K, Avis PC, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Radisson Concierge
Yes very sad. Same thing happened on a CO flight from Mexico to IAH some years back. These days it is possible to survive a massive heart attack - but you need to be within 10 minutes of a major medical facility and in the hospital within 20 minutes. Obviously that can't happen when you are 40,000 feet in the air.

This is why a crew member always goes in the cockpit when one of the flight crew members leaves to use the restroom. Can't leave just one person in the cockpit inside the locked door.
cova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 13, 7:42 am   #15

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, US Gold, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cova View Post
This is why a crew member always goes in the cockpit when one of the flight crew members leaves to use the restroom. Can't leave just one person in the cockpit inside the locked door.
Thank you for that interesting piece of information; I had been curious about the reason and this makes a lot of sense!
mdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote