Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using United miles to book US Airways flights on United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

I used to be able to use United miles to buy US Air flights on United.com. It looks like they've disabled that function? Has anyone else noticed that you can no longer search for Star Alliance flights on United.com? Is there something I'm missing?
Old May 30, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by hfallen
I used to be able to use United miles to buy US Air flights on United.com. It looks like they've disabled that function? Has anyone else noticed that you can no longer search for Star Alliance flights on United.com? Is there something I'm missing?
When you do an award search after you've scrolled through all the United flight options you'll see a section for Partner awards.... any available US options will appear there. If nothing shows up then there's no award space available.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Thank goodness they disabled the UA only and US/LH options and replaced it with a comprehensive Star network search from co.com.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
It depends on the route and day...........if there is no US award availability it wont show but I just looked for a flight from LGA-BOS to connect with an LH flight and there was a ton of US flights
Old May 30, 2012, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Oh, I see what they did: The US Airways flight options now show up along with the United flights. Before you had to click a separate link to get the Star alliance flight options.

And the availability of the DCA-BNA nonstop on US Air was gone waaay down.

Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:38 pm

Bring this thread up but how far into future can we book US Air flights (to Europe) using United miles or have they already been pulled?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gtu2004
Bring this thread up but how far into future can we book US Air flights (to Europe) using United miles or have they already been pulled?
Go try and see?

I just checked a US-only city for end-of-schedule, and although availability is somewhat limited, I see flights still bookable on US for 10/2014. There's no reason that US flights would be "pulled" yet; they're still *A for the time being, even with the merger ready to be approved.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by gtu2004
I've booked a US flight to FRA from PHL for August 2014, but this was done two weeks ago; not sure if anything has changed since then.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Award flights on US through UA/MileagePlus?

So I have to travel this month using UA miles that are going to expire (my mom's) and she doesn't have any use for them, instead of paying to transfer them, I was just told to use them.

My idea is to fly CMH-PHL, since there's nonstop service on US Airways Express (RPA and AWI).

If I purchase award flights on US through UA's website, is it possible to select seats? or will I get stuck with whatever seat wasn't assigned? And to fly, do I check-in at US Airways or United? I've never done this kind of airline cross-ticketing before and I have no idea how it works exactly.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Award flights on US through UA/MileagePlus?

Are you traveling simply so that the miles don't expire?

There are plenty of ways to use just a few miles which will reset the expiration clock without taking a trip. If you have a few weeks to get credit, you can use the MP shopping portal to buy something you need already will allow you to add miles to the account, and all miles in the account will have a new expiration date of +18 months. If you don't need anything, can always use the portal to buy a song through iTunes - that's the cheapest way. Can also use miles for a newspaper/mag subscription. Again, this will extend expiration. Or, particularly with the disaster in the Phillipines at the forefront, you can donate miles to one of a few charities. There's lots of options.

If you do in fact want to talk the trip, seats/check in will be handled through US. When you make your reservation and view it online, there should be a link saying some flights are operated by a partner carrier, and a link to see the US PNR. You'll need that for anything you do with US. With that, you can go to the US site to select seats and check in. You can also call US reservations.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
If the miles are expiring, the fastest and cheapest way to extend validity is to book any one-way award on their (UA) website and cancelling it within a couple of hours (after the award ticket is issued).

The miles will come back and the taxes refunded, and miles extended!!^
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Ok, so it's not too difficult, reservation-wise.

Yes, I'm traveling simply so that the miles don't expire. My parents told me to use them to go somewhere nearby, so that's why. I thought about trying to use the store or something like that, but last time I bought something it took forever for the activity to register, and the miles expire at the end of the month.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You could extend the miles by joining Opinion Miles Club and earned around 50 United miles by taking a short survey. the miles are posted to the account immediately.

https://www.opinionmilesclub.com/
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by felipegarcia
So I have to travel this month using UA miles that are going to expire (my mom's) and she doesn't have any use for them, instead of paying to transfer them, I was just told to use them.

My idea is to fly CMH-PHL, since there's nonstop service on US Airways Express (RPA and AWI).

If I purchase award flights on US through UA's website, is it possible to select seats? or will I get stuck with whatever seat wasn't assigned? And to fly, do I check-in at US Airways or United? I've never done this kind of airline cross-ticketing before and I have no idea how it works exactly.
If you fly, you'll be able to select seats, but you'll probably need to do so through the US website. You check in at USAirways, online or at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.