Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to find out ahead of time if a flight is weight restricted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I fly standby out of OGG. When UA uses a 757-2 sometimes they have a weight restriction thus if they show 20 open seats and 10 standbys and the flight is weight restricted no standbys get on. Is there any way to find out ahead of time if a flight is weight restricted prior to going to the airport?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm Reason: thread title not good
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Not from publicly available information. Maybe someone with insider information can help you.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Not really, depends on a variety of factors. Passenger load, cargo, fuel, winds, routing, ect;
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WX conditions, including heat, wind direction, wind speed can make a difference. It's entirely possible to have a non-restricted flight planned which becomes weight-restricted shortly before departure.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:14 am

Where are you going to out of OGG? Usually Hawaii flights aren't weight restricted with exception to occasionally Denver.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hammer0425
Where are you going to out of OGG? Usually Hawaii flights aren't weight restricted with exception to occasionally Denver.
Lax or Sfo......the one time i had a problem there was 0 wind....both lax and sfo flts were effected they pulled 30 paying pax of the sfo flt and moved them to a much later flt.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kahanabob
Lax or Sfo......the one time i had a problem there was 0 wind....both lax and sfo flts were effected they pulled 30 paying pax of the sfo flt and moved them to a much later flt.
When you say "0 wind" do you mean zero wind on the ground? If so that can be entirely different than winds at FL35/36/37 ect. Given both SFO and LAX were affected I would speculate winds aloft were very strong.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Final decisions on weight restrictions are often not made until the last minute.

In my NRSA days as a UA employee I learned to NEVER leave the gate area until the plane actually pulled away, no matter how dire the GA made my chances of getting on sound, whether for weight, passenger load, etc. It paid off many times as more senior NRSAs (and even revenue standbys) gave up and left the area.

ETA: In other words, OP, I would never trust info about a flight being weight restricted a few hours ahead of departure. So many variables can change at the last minute. And sometimes they can accommodate some, but not all, standbys with a weight restriction.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
stealing a term from the Delta world, it could be "payload optimized"... stuffing more cargo and less non-revs to make more money.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDS747
When you say "0 wind" do you mean zero wind on the ground? If so that can be entirely different than winds at FL35/36/37 ect. Given both SFO and LAX were affected I would speculate winds aloft were very strong.
no wind on the ground and was hot and muggy. OGG runway length is the issue thats why UA will fly a 777 inbd OGG but it has to fly OGG-KON and fuel up in KON. Guess the 757-2 doesn't have the takeoff power as a 757-4. OGG has plans to lengthen the runway someday.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
cargo out of OGG? Doesn't really exist. weight restrictions out of OGG all fall on runway restrictions 99% of the time. As for knowing ahead of time, 4 hours is about how much notice you'll ge twhen the flight plan is done.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
I'm on EWR-BOM tomorrow evening. The website and phone agent say it's sold out, but there are a ton of empty middle seats left. My upgrade didn't clear, so I'm really hoping to at least keep my empty middle seat. Does anyone know if this flight is frequently weight restricted, and if so will they stop selling seats in advance to avoid DBs?
Old May 8, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CALMSP
cargo out of OGG? Doesn't really exist. weight restrictions out of OGG all fall on runway restrictions 99% of the time. As for knowing ahead of time, 4 hours is about how much notice you'll ge twhen the flight plan is done.
Agree. Not much cargo originates at OGG. Have been to cargo shed half a dozen times and sometimes the heaviest piece might be a black lab. Kidding aside, there aren't usually thousands of pounds of cargo waiting.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonasCLT
I'm on EWR-BOM tomorrow evening. The website and phone agent say it's sold out, but there are a ton of empty middle seats left. My upgrade didn't clear, so I'm really hoping to at least keep my empty middle seat. Does anyone know if this flight is frequently weight restricted, and if so will they stop selling seats in advance to avoid DBs?
You cant know anything by checking the seat map. Alot folks never make a seating assignment. Log onto UA and click the Fare Basis (words) to see what Y is showing if its 0 then E- is soldout but that doesnt mean E+ is

Since UA.com isnt selling any tkts its Full and probably Oversold BF is 50/50 as well doesnt look good for a GPU, doubt any seat will be empty unless there are tons of misconnects
Old May 8, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
A weight restriction is about the hundredth most likely reason for what you're seeing. Empty middles aren't an especially good indicator of load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.