Community
Wiki Posts
Search

P Fares on BF Marketed Segments

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is supposed to be based on booking class; the first letter of the fare code doesn't matter for mileage accrual.

That UA Insider is asking for details implies some sort of technical glitch.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Was just able to send my details as I couldn't do so from the office network. I have purchased P class fares before and had no problems with those.

I don't think I'm the only one who this has affected. These fares seem to be widely available still for the routing.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is just wrong. UA's internal coding is not relevant; if they sell it as a P it should accrue as a P.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Last P fare I booked was on LX... Fare basis was a V-UP, no problem getting my 150% PQM (though I was crediting to US Dividend Miles)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have booked in P a few times in the past two years and have always received the 50% bunus. BUT...I have never bothered looking at the fare rules or looking up the fares as published outside of united.com.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is just wrong. UA's internal coding is not relevant; if they sell it as a P it should accrue as a P.
Yeah, especially if you have to click on a link and enter a captcha to even see the alternate coding & fare rules...that's not what I would call transparent
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Kacee
First letter of the fare basis doesn't matter per the rules ... it's booking code of the operating carrier which is P. It looks like the OP encountered the unfortunate combination of a software glitch and a poorly trained agent. Hopefully UA Insider can help.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
No response yet, but no rush on my part. Does this booking class / fare basis (which is still new to me) discrepancy feed into any of the mitchmu "when is a Z fare not a Z fare" scenario? I haven't tracked all of that thread yet.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:26 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by eleeut
No response yet, but no rush on my part. Does this booking class / fare basis (which is still new to me) discrepancy feed into any of the mitchmu "when is a Z fare not a Z fare" scenario? I haven't tracked all of that thread yet.
Hi eleeut,

We're still looking in to this issue, but I've passed your information along to the appropriate folks, and I hope to have an update over the next few days.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi eleeut,

We're still looking in to this issue, but I've passed your information along to the appropriate folks, and I hope to have an update over the next few days.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Aaron, your participation in this way is noted and appreciated.

When you get back to us with resolution, it would also help if you could provide more general guidance on exactly how a flyer can determine what fare they are buying.

Can you give us a 100% foolproof method of determining, for a given offer, what kind of "fare" (i.e. fare class, fare basis, or other derivative terms) is being applied, and from that, what mileage accrual will apply to the purchase, and from that, whether UA will treat it as what it was sold at or as something else?

In other words:

If a customer sees and offer to buy a ticket, and the fare shown to the customer says "Z", how exactly can the customer know whether or not that fare will get PQM at the rate for Z and whether or not it's really a Z or actually some kind of X-UP that's being sold at a Z even though it's not a Z?

We've been struggling with this scenario here ever since SHARES replaced Apollo. This is yet another iteration.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
When you get back to us with resolution, it would also help if you could provide more general guidance on exactly how a flyer can determine what fare they are buying.

Can you give us a 100% foolproof method of determining, for a given offer, what kind of "fare" (i.e. fare class, fare basis, or other derivative terms) is being applied, and from that, what mileage accrual will apply to the purchase, and from that, whether UA will treat it as what it was sold at or as something else?

In other words:

If a customer sees and offer to buy a ticket, and the fare shown to the customer says "Z", how exactly can the customer know whether or not that fare will get PQM at the rate for Z and whether or not it's really a Z or actually some kind of X-UP that's being sold at a Z even though it's not a Z?

We've been struggling with this scenario here ever since SHARES replaced Apollo. This is yet another iteration.
some insight in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...h-buy-ups.html but appears we will have to wait longer for clear resolution.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by mitchmu
This is absolutely critical -- there's nothing as frustrating as paying extra $$ for miles that don't show up
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Artagnan
This is absolutely critical -- there's nothing as frustrating as paying extra $$ for miles that don't show up
And few related things worse than doing that, and then asking for help, and either being ignored or being told "there's nothing I can do."
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
So what is the official UA policy on buying a fare that books into P but really has a W or H or V underlying fare basis (that is never shown or known unless you click to view the fare rules) as has been posted upthread? This is different than a buy-up offer after or while purchasing a ticket. I've never had an issue, but if I'm buying a fare that is advertised/shown as a P fare, I sure as heck better get the bonus PQMs with it.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Booked in P, not showing mileage bonus upon booking?

I booked a first/biz fare to San Juan (via IAH) in P but the website didn't show the 1.5 EQMs. I called the 1k number 4 times, each time, less helpful than the last.

Am I not going to get the 1.5 EQMs bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.