Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

flying UA domestic - refused PHX United Club access with a TK gold card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Hey,

I am flying PHX-DEN on UA today, and was refused access by the dragons claiming this was not a Star Alliance Gold lounge and that I was not entitled to enter the lounge. The UA club had a huge Star Alliance Gold sign on it.

Is this something new? I have never had this problem before.

The two ladies attending the louge was extremely rude and horrible. Refusing to listen to ny explaination. Disgusting!

I flew US Air yesterday LAS-PHX and had no problem accessing the US lounge in Denver.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Did you have your TK # on your BP, or a UA one? Personally, I don't think it should matter, but some agents will claim you must have your *G FF # on your BP.

Regardless, you should have been granted access. AFAIK, all UA Clubs are also *G lounges and as such should have permitted a *G member to access. Don't know why UA is so protective of their lounges when they are so crappy and they grant access to a set of credit card holders and give day passes to pretty much all their credit card holders--and they'd get paid by TK to allow you access, too!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
flying UA domestic - refused lounge access with a TK gold card

i know. My TK number and Gold status is printed on my BP.

I dont care about the peanuts and Diet Coke really. But it is the principle, they were extremely rude. When I told them to read their rule book they both screamed I had to calm down and leave. Haha, I laughed and left. I guess I would have been refused to board if I said another word.

i am digusted by them, acting like psychopaths. Never experienced something like this.

BTW - at first they also claimed TK was not a part of Star Alliance...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Complain. Complain hard.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious if this has happened to others. It clearly violates the published Star Alliance lounge rules. A complaint to UA customer service is definitely warranted.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Complaint, using the name of the club agent who refused you and ask for compensation for services you had to pay outside the club, like food and drinks...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Next time, stand you ground. This is not the first time I've heard about rogue agents in PHX. Oh I wish that had been me...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Next time, stand you ground. This is not the first time I've heard about rogue agents in PHX. Oh I wish that had been me...
And when the airport police arrive?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tom911
And when the airport police arrive?
Blog about it.

You never look for trouble, always stay polite, but take advantage of opportunities like this.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:49 pm

You won't be able to blog in the back of a patrol car. First thing they'll do is take away your belongings. If the staff don't want you in the club, the police aren't going to force them to let you in.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:57 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
For future reference, is there anything one can do if the agent refuses entry with valid credentials??

LAX
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:23 pm

must be flying international

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/travel/airport/lounge/access.aspx

You must have your *A Gold card and also same day international boarding card on *A

This is United rule
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JS1K
http://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/travel/airport/lounge/access.aspx

You must have your *A Gold card and also same day international boarding card on *A

This is United rule
Incorrect.

You are referring to the rules for US and UA *G members to access UA Clubs. The OP is a TK Gold.

All non-US, non-UA *Gs have access to any *A club showing the *G logo with just a same-day *A flight BP and their *G card. End of story. (This is why UA *G pax on a UA domestic itin can access the LH SEN lounge at IAD, for example.) It's a *A rule, not a UA one.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lounge attendants likely confused UA restriction for its own members vs other Star Gold members.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
For future reference, is there anything one can do if the agent refuses entry with valid credentials??
I had that come up once with AA trying to enter a first class lounge. I left the counter and called the elite desk with the intention of having them track down an airport supervisor who could get me entry. While I was on the phone, I was paged back to the counter and allowed entry. Agent checked after I walked off and realized she was wrong. I just don't see the benefit of remaining at the counter to do battle on this or to "stand my ground". You'll do just as well by phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.