Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Re-booked flight with travel agent with excessive cost, anything I can do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold

I had a previous flight that was flown two months ago. It was ORD to JED round trip all booked in unrestricted fare C class. We booked this through a travel agent and had to change the return date. Instead of changing the original ticket they cancelled the return flight and booked a new return. The issue with this is that it changed the fares for the outbound flight, the original flight costed $11,500, the new return flight the agent booked was $6500. This seemed to not be an issue until the refund from United posted, it was only $3100! I have called the united refund department several times and they state there is nothing they can do, so now the ticket costed $15,000! Our company has several elites, two 1k's and a few other 2P's. Is there anything I can do to try to get the cost down for that original flight?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Yeah, but not from UA this was 1000% your TAs fault. Tell then you expect them to refund the difference. If they don't, get a new TA. Actually I'd do that regardless.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Sounds like an issue with your travel agent's competence.

It would have been best to cancel and reissue.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I completely agree with my travel agent's competence, they obviously screwed up. They will not be used by our company anymore. I am pretty upset about this issue, since it happened to two of us traveling together. Demanding $6000 from the TA in our small town would probably put them out of business. I guess we will just have to eat the cost and move on, not using them anymore. I was just not sure if United would do anything about it.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Hendo5698
I completely agree with my travel agent's competence, they obviously screwed up. They will not be used by our company anymore. I am pretty upset about this issue, since it happened to two of us traveling together. Demanding $6000 from the TA in our small town would probably put them out of business. I guess we will just have to eat the cost and move on, not using them anymore. I was just not sure if United would do anything about it.
I'm not sure you should be thinking about whether the TA might go out of business if you make a claim against them (it's nice of you but unnecesary) and, further, this is why companies have E&O insurance. I would hope that TAs have some kind of insurance for mistakes like this.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hendo5698
The repercussions of correcting their error is a them problem, further if a 6000 mistake puts them out of business then it's provably a good thing and you would be just be speeding up the inevitable.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Why should your company stomach their $6,000 error?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.