Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changing a reservation within 24 hours of booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Any changes to a TA issued booking are always supposed to be made by the TA (aside from irrops). I believe this even extends to schedule changes - where the TA is responsible for notifying the passenger. I'm surprised to hear that the UA site was ever able to do this. Though I've also understood that for a fee, UA could take control of the ticket from the TA and then any future future changes could be made by the carrier.

In terms of the 24 hour rule, yes, DOT regulations require anyone the option to cancel a ticket within 24 hours (or, alternatively, allow a purchaser to hold the ticket first for 24 hours). At least for legacy carriers and the big online TAs (Orbitz, etc.), this regulation effectively didn't change anything, as most allowed one or the other anyway.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
Not sure what Obama has to do with this. It has been a few years when ex-USA tickets purchased directly from airlines can be cancelled within 24 hours. Perhaps Obama wants to extend that to all tickets from all channels?

OP will need to go back to corporate agent to rebook. He/she will be back to square one.@:-)
well, not obama but new DOT rules as of last year:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...airline-rules/

I tried to find a more legit site (more official, less politically motivated), but this was one of the first few that popped up, and I was too lazy to keep searhcing.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
We book all company travel through our company agency via Concur.

When I call them, they usually can make changes/refund a ticket for free if done within 24 hours. If I call United on the same reservation, they will not.

Not sure this applies in every case or to every customer, but at least worth a call to the TA to ask them.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments. Just to clear up any confusion, the reservation does appear immediately in my account at United.com after booking through my travel agent. My TA booked a ticket for me a few weeks ago for a flight next week. I can login to mileageplus and I have the option of changing the flight with the $150 change fee. It even provides me with the price details re how much was paid, etc.

Sadly, my detour got cancelled--so postponing the experiment for another time.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Just booked a flight through my travel agent and attempted to change the reservation through United.com. It allows me to do it but with the $200 change fee (even though less than 24 hours has passed).

Fail.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by goatee87
Just booked a flight through my travel agent and attempted to change the reservation through United.com. It allows me to do it but with the $200 change fee (even though less than 24 hours has passed).

Fail.
That has always been the case, at least in my experience. It's a 24hr cancellation option, not a "make changes" within 24hrs option.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
That has always been the case, at least in my experience. It's a 24hr cancellation option, not a "make changes" within 24hrs option.
Not correct, for tickets booked directly with United:

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to your reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
Not correct, for tickets booked directly with United:
Gotta be careful:

Terms and conditions

Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with United Reservations.
The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.
Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment.
Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded....

Yikes...I didn't know about the e-cert rule!!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Gotta be careful:

Terms and conditions

Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with United Reservations.
The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.
Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment.
Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded....

Yikes...I didn't know about the e-cert rule!!
Interesting - neither did I, and I've looked at that page many times. In fact, I know I've cancelled tickets with e-certs inside 24hrs without issue in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.