Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of GPU space to LHR in Sept/Oct!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Lack of GPU space to LHR in Sept/Oct!

Called UA as Expertflyer could not find any space across 43 different transit points and even the agent was amazed. His supervisor sent a request up the food chain to see what's going on as she was surprised also, but I don't expect them to give me an answer though!

Anyone else seen this and if you have been flying DEN to LHR through ORD, IAD, SFO, LAX, IAH or EWR what has been your GPU clearing experience?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Trying to book some work tix for October, and have not see a single flight with R space.. Not at all surprised.

While my company won't book paid C, I can book a bit higher than W, so I may be able to beat the rest of the 1Ks on Ws.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Trying to book some work tix for October, and have not see a single flight with R space.. Not at all surprised.

While my company won't book paid C, I can book a bit higher than W, so I may be able to beat the rest of the 1Ks on Ws.
FWIW, I have seen R space rather consistently opening up 18-22h before departure, even on flights down to J3... Of course, the upgrade won't clear automatically by then, but a phone call usually takes care of beating everyone. This late R opening combined with free SDC is a powerful combination for informed flyers
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Was looking for the same thing last week, had to book JFK-LAX-LHR-EWR for work, was looking for any route LAX-LHR with R space, even with connections. Nothing.
Apparently LAX-LHR had good R space towards the end of Aug, missed that boat though.
Fingers crossed something opens up.
And yes, SDC and t24 R are a good combo...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

I'm not surprised either. It's still prime vacation season plus lots and lots of fall trade events. 15-45 days out is probably the toughest time to find R space. UA wants to sell those seats as J/C/D fares.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:14 am

Same....I booked a November trip IAH-NRT and ICN-SFO a month ago and still R0 despite J9 on both flights
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I've noticed that too. Other than a few Tue-Wed flights opening up a few R space, the flights on the other days are holding back up until the 24 hour mark.

I remember on a recent NRT-BKK flight, it was J6R0 at t-25 hours, then luckily I was cleared from the waitlist automatically at t-20 hours. At t-4 hours when I got into NRT, the J waitlist still had 35 people on it waitilisting for the last 2 J seats. Yikes!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
With at least one and sometimes two of the flights from IAD-LHR operating on 757 aircraft there are simply fewer seats to be had. On top of that they have offers to keep pushing $ for upgrades after Y ticket is purchased. This is well in line with UA's push to continue to find more aggressive ways to monetize anything that was previously complimentary like a GPU. 1K is surely not what it once was.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nova08
Same....I booked a November trip IAH-NRT and ICN-SFO a month ago and still R0 despite J9 on both flights
I will be surprised if you don't clear ICN-SFO. The ICN flights often go out with empty J seats.

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
This is well in line with UA's push to continue to find more aggressive ways to monetize anything that was previously complimentary like a GPU. 1K is surely not what it once was.
I don't recall it ever being particularly easy to score international upgrades on desireable routes.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
best bet IMO is 5pm ORD-LHR departure. painful on the sleep/jetlag, but reasonably reliable for R space (at least in advance) and lower paid biz sales.

some of the EWR options would probably be my 2nd choice.

LAX had a bunch of availability earlier in the summer for fall travel but it seems that has dried up as of a few weeks ago when i made my fall trip booking. i ended up going into AMS instead.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't recall it ever being particularly easy to score international upgrades on desireable routes.
It used to be much easier to do so on less-desirable dates/times/equipment, though. UA seems to be holding back R inventory on even Tuesday/Wednesday flights much more aggressively than they used to IME (and I/IN as well--I've now had one flight waitlisted for IN since March, and it's less than a week out now with no dice).
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ddrost1
some of the EWR options would probably be my 2nd choice.
I'm going in 2 weeks, booked 3 months ago, did the 777 each way (figured best chance of upgrades and I was right). Plenty of R space on the outbound, return opened up a couple weeks after booking.

Looking at my dates now, the 777 still seems to be the best bet...all the lil' 757s are mostly filled.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ddrost1
LAX had a bunch of availability earlier in the summer for fall travel but it seems that has dried up as of a few weeks ago when i made my fall trip booking. i ended up going into AMS instead.
I'm flying on 9/21 and booked into AMS (ex-IAH) thinking it would be an easier UG and so far nothing.. fingers crossed for R opening up.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Why is this "shocking"?

OP doesn't indicate whether he is looking for C or F but there are a limited # of seats and UA often fills the C cabin with paying passengers. In fact I find it annoying that it is often difficult to reserve an aisle seat on the SFO-LHR nonstop unless booking > 1month in advance of departure. These are popular routes, and UA and BA are the only ones that guarantee lie-flat nonstop service on all planes (DL offers connecting from most UA hubs).

The good news is that GPUs may clear within 48 hours of departure provided you are high on the list due to status/fare. But if you want to guarantee a business class seat to London you need to pay for it.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Why is this "shocking"?

OP doesn't indicate whether he is looking for C or F but there are a limited # of seats and UA often fills the C cabin with paying passengers. In fact I find it annoying that it is often difficult to reserve an aisle seat on the SFO-LHR nonstop unless booking > 1month in advance of departure. These are popular routes, and UA and BA are the only ones that guarantee lie-flat nonstop service on all planes (DL offers connecting from most UA hubs).
Looking at flights to Europe in September/October, I see lots of really full airplanes. It's not like UA is withholding empty seats from R inventory, there is just very little inventory left and I can fully understand why UA is holding the few seats that remain for sale rather than upgrade.

I saw this writing on the wall back in May and upfared a W with waitlisted GPU's to a very nicely priced P fare. Now my September 20 SFO-LHR outbound is J2 C1 D0. I'm guessing there won't be any R space opening on that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.