Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cash Buy Up Not Available but Miles Buy Up Is?

Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:01 pm
RNE
Original Poster

I have an international itinerary bought with cash. UA is giving me the option to upgrade to BF with miles (and a copay) but not with cash alone. How come?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
I have an international itinerary bought with cash. UA is giving me the option to upgrade to BF with miles (and a copay) but not with cash alone. How come?
best because UA treats them as separate activities driven by different reasons/ different invetory???
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Online, you mean? Often the online upgrade doesn't work (for I'm assuming technical reasons). Cash is always available (as in, a buy-up to a higher fare class) if you call in, but it may be a disappointingly high amount.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:38 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kon104
Online, you mean? Often the online upgrade doesn't work (for I'm assuming technical reasons). Cash is always available (as in, a buy-up to a higher fare class) if you call in, but it may be a disappointingly high amount.
Yes, I am referring to the on-line options. But I'm not so sure it's a "technical" glitch. The problem with calling in is I'd probably be hit with a change fee in addition to the fare difference. There is no change fee when doing the upgrade online.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, I am referring to the on-line options. But I'm not so sure it's a "technical" glitch. The problem with calling in is I'd probably be hit with a change fee in addition to the fare difference. There is no change fee when doing the upgrade online.
I thought if you were just increasing fare class on the same flight, they usually don't charge the change fee?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
IME, and this may sound crazy, but it seems that I'm not offered cash buy-up options when the likelihood of receiving a CPU is quite high. It's as if they are protecting me from spending unnecessary funds, but they'll let me burn miles to guarantee my place up front.

It sounds even crazier to me as I type it, but it does seem to be the case. It is always when the number of available mileage upgrade seats is high in relation to the total number of premium seats available. In those cases where the available seats decreases significantly, I've seen the buy-up option reappear.

It has also been my experience that tickets purchased far in advance will offer very low buy-up options, then they go away as the departure date approaches without the premium cabin being filled. In those cases where the buy-up returns, it's always at a higher rate than I was originally offered.

Disclaimer: This is pure speculation with no basis in any known policy.

(Now going to duck behind the sofa to avoid the verbal rocks that will certainly be thrown at me as a result of this post.)
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
IME, and this may sound crazy, but it seems that I'm not offered cash buy-up options when the likelihood of receiving a CPU is quite high. It's as if they are protecting me from spending unnecessary funds, but they'll let me burn miles to guarantee my place up front.

It sounds even crazier to me as I type it, but it does seem to be the case. It is always when the number of available mileage upgrade seats is high in relation to the total number of premium seats available. In those cases where the available seats decreases significantly, I've seen the buy-up option reappear.

It has also been my experience that tickets purchased far in advance will offer very low buy-up options, then they go away as the departure date approaches without the premium cabin being filled. In those cases where the buy-up returns, it's always at a higher rate than I was originally offered.

Disclaimer: This is pure speculation with no basis in any known policy.

(Now going to duck behind the sofa to avoid the verbal rocks that will certainly be thrown at me as a result of this post.)
The only rock coming your way is the one that says "OP is asking about intl itiniery where CPU does not come into play".
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:46 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kon104
I thought if you were just increasing fare class on the same flight, they usually don't charge the change fee?
That I don't know, but this I do: I recently tried to upgrade to BF online (it was a cash option, not miles) but the website took me to an error page. So I called the phone number posted thereon and asked the cyborg to process my request because the website wouldn't. The cyborg gave me the upgrade, but tried to add a change fee. I protested, pointing out that there is no change fee when the website offers an upgrade; one simply pays the stated amount. And since the website was not working, I shouldn't be penalized for its fault. It took a supervisor cyborg to complete my transaction sans change fee.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The only rock coming your way is the one that says "OP is asking about intl itiniery where CPU does not come into play".
Good point. Never mind.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
But wait! Many of mine are intl, although from Central America or Northern South America. Still intl, but CPUs do indeed apply.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 8, 2013 at 5:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:14 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
But wait! Many of mine are intl, although from Central America or Northern South America. Still intl, but CPUs do indeed apply.
United does not consider some international flights international for purposes of CPU. But, in any case, my post has nothing to do with CPU, so please discuss that elsewhere.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:05 am
RNE
Original Poster

Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.