Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA solicits upgrade for $$, but then waitlists

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA solicits upgrade for $$, but then waitlists

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
10 years ago if you try to upgrade with miles internationally, first you have to buy H class and up fares, then you have to waitlist. However, if your upgrade don't clear, only your miles will be refunded, but your H class sticks, so it means you pay H class for nothing.
10 years ago Continental exisited, and I could buy the cheapest fare and upgrade whenever I wanted
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mre5765
His point is that mileage upgrades on PMUA used to have no co-pay option; you had to buy the higher fare as you do today with GPUs (and on PMUA, always have).
There is still a no co-pay option... you just have to buy a Y or a B fare. Which is likely more than a Z fare but it is still an "option."
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by JDS747
There is still a no co-pay option... you just have to buy a Y or a B fare. Which is likely more than a Z fare but it is still an "option."
On that route, anyway, B fares are much less than Z (except in the summer, where Z/P go on sale). Typical prices are:

B $2950
Y $4900
Z $5500

A lot to pay, still, for B which only helps the chance of upgrade within your own status level (*G, PP, 1K, etc). Better to watch for R availability, as someone suggested.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aacharya
And ten years ago, wi-fi didn't exist on planes..
It did exist a lot more and in a lot more sophisticated and reliable manner than today's domestic on-off product offered.

here.

Well 9.5 years ago ... but I loved that product.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Oh I've had my issues with UA over the years. But I'm familiar with this particular screen. It either tells you how many seats are available for upgrade or that its "waitlist only."
True. On FireFox I always got a fair warning.

But when I tried to used Safari, all the usual notifications did not show ... so I got scared and never used the browser for united again.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 7, 2013 at 6:29 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Slightly related question; not sure it warrants a new thread.
I use my miles for free travel and I've only upgraded with instruments in the past.
My question is whether the amount of dollars required for buy up or copay changes as we get closer to the departure date.
For instance, I'm booked in V on an international flight on 9/21. Today, I can upgrade the outbound for $1,141 or for 20,000 miles + $475. If the premium cabin doesn't fill up as quickly as UA hopes and I check again next week, could I possibly see a "better offer": less than $1,141 for Buy Up or less than $475 for Copay?
I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before; I'm really new to upgrading...
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laginibre
Slightly related question; not sure it warrants a new thread.
I use my miles for free travel and I've only upgraded with instruments in the past.
My question is whether the amount of dollars required for buy up or copay changes as we get closer to the departure date.
For instance, I'm booked in V on an international flight on 9/21. Today, I can upgrade the outbound for $1,141 or for 20,000 miles + $475. If the premium cabin doesn't fill up as quickly as UA hopes and I check again next week, could I possibly see a "better offer": less than $1,141 for Buy Up or less than $475 for Copay?
I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before; I'm really new to upgrading...
The buy-up may change the co-pay will not.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
The buy-up may change the co-pay will not.
Thanks for clarifying. I imagined that the co-pay was a function of the original class booked. I thought that the buy-up might fluctuate depending on demand but wasn't sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.