Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RNE
When traveling internationally, it can.
Well yes. But the entire purpose of that restriction is that it drastically limits entry by elites.

If UA was to kill all access except by paid club members, it might as well just be an independent lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Absurd. Club credit card holders pay an annual fee for membership. And the other credit card holders get two passes per year. Hardly consequential. If anyone should be summarily excluded it's the nonmember elites who get in by circumstance.
I'm simply not a fan of airlines whoring themselves to credit card companies. It, among other things, causes dilution.

How would charging a membership fee for everyone (sans Int'l F, etc.) change the lounges? Better quality items? Less crowded?

Heck, perhaps tie club membership to PQD? Have > $X PQD and you get a free/discounted membership?

Last edited by DelrayChris; Dec 5, 2013 at 9:42 am
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:42 am
RNE

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I'm simply not a fan of airlines whoring themselves to credit card companies. It dilutes things. How would charging a membership fee for everyone (sans Int'l F, etc.) change the lounges? Better quality items? Less crowded?
Yes on all counts. I'm simply pointing out that Club credit card holders are dues paying members.

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Heck, perhaps tie club membership to PQD? Have > $X PQD and you get a free/discounted membership?
Or at least have the Club membership fee count toward PQD.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
If UA was to kill all access except by paid club members, it might as well just be an independent lounge.
And that's bad for what reason?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RNE
And that's bad for what reason?
Because it's an airline club and not an independent lounge?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I'm simply pointing out that Club credit card holders are dues paying members.
Understood, but I doubt that paying a $400 yearly credit card fee does not cover the entire cost of a $500 UA club membership.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Understood, but I doubt that paying a $400 yearly credit card fee does not cover the entire cost of a $500 UA club membership.
IF UA can entice a whole group of people who travel 4-5x a year, perhaps with family in tow, to get the card (at the cheaper price point) over the explorer card, and rather than the membership (by leveraging Chase's marketing) they can make a lot more money, while not incurring the cost of a 1K traveling every week utilizing the club.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold
BOS terminal A club has complimentary everything. Including Sycamore Lane wines, Coors Light(w/ Bud Lt. on card), MGD bottles, Heineken bottles and Sam Adams draft. Of course there is no liquor and no premium wines. In fact, there is no register or credit card capacity. The last vestige of a free Sam perhaps...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:02 pm

The Wiki lists Tito's at $9. Yesterday when I was in the ORD C Club it was on the cost sheet at $7.

Anyway, the nice bartender explained to me that if you order a "martini" it came as a double shot and the second shot was a discounted upcharge, not a separate drink. The upcharge for Tito's is $3. So to get a double Tito's order a "Tito's martini with no vermouth".

The $3 club card discount applies to the entire drink, not to the individual shots.

So a double "Tito's Martini" without the club card is $10

With club card $3 discount it's $7.

I'm sure if you are creative about this and have a friendly bartender you can order a double pretty much whatever you want as long as you help them know how to ring it up "I'd like a Tito's martini with no vermouth and please add {coke} {orange juice} {bloody mary mix} {whatever floats your boat}"
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Just updated the wiki for beer selection at HNL after stopping in twice during November. Longboard is still available like before but only in bottles now versus the tap they used to have. Only beer on tap is the complimentary swill
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Just updated the wiki for beer selection at HNL after stopping in twice during November. Longboard is still available like before but only in bottles now versus the tap they used to have. Only beer on tap is the complimentary swill
Thanks, kinda.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
At EWR, asked for Bud Lite and got it. My wife then went to get it and was told they don't carry Bud Lite. Said, "But my husband just got it." The other bartender said, "Bud Lite costs $3. The only free beer is Miller Lite."
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:55 am

I haven't seen any screenshots but this is what the UC authentication for WiFi looks like:

Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by edcho
I haven't seen any screenshots but this is what the UC authentication for WiFi looks like:
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Less than two weeks ago I sat outside the club @ lax and
could utilize their wifi with no authorization whatsoever (as
it used to be for quite a while).

Also, given the well-known competence and efficiency of
the ua it department I'd be surprised if we heard anything
new about this any time soon...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: *G, CO Plat, UA 1P, Etihad Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, Avis Pres
What's the point anymore?

I'm a touch late to this party because I haven't popped into a club since these changes.

Went to grab my wife a Bailey's and the barkeep tells me that will be $6. I said what? He says all premium drinks cost $$. I asked him what's the non-premium alternative to bailey's? Apparently they don't even stock the rock-guy cordials like they do at all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.

Oh but I got half off for paying with my United MC. Now I feel special!!

Every tom, dick and Harry can get into the club and there's never any room.
Only the rot-gut alcohol is free.
Food and snacks are still below par compared to most other airline clubs

Unless you are a college kid that wants to get wasted on rot-gut whiskey and scotch, I don't see the point in posting up at the United Club. It's time for me to review my membership.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Booze in the UC

Good evening all. Just a question, for the first time in about 8 months I was in the ORD UC by C18. 8 months ago it seemed that the free selection was fairly good, baileys, Jack etc. Again respectable liquor for free. The premium spirits were $6 as I remember loading up on Glenlivet 15YO at $6 a glass. Last night just about everything was $8+ with things even jack daniels being $11. The free stuff was well booze. Am I going crazy or did they suddenly really tighten the belt on the liquor in the UC, and how long has it been that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.