Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by wcj1
The scratch off was a pain if you had multiple devices. You had to get a separate scratch off for each device. Just from an environmental standpoint, that is a lot of dumb plastic to gain access to wifi for a half hour or so.
Absolutely.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: MM - GOLD, HH, Mariott
Originally Posted by Baze
Yet they told you anyway?
Yes, good friend know him from the first day he started working when they eliminated CO employees from bartender.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
OMG..Stop Whining..The changes are not bad..No poachers for the Wifi will mean faster Wifi for the club members paying to use it..The liquor pretty much all tastes the same..I wont notice any difference in my vodka/cran or rum/coke..if your a drink snob,you can pay for a more expensive call brand..Change is good..Better Wifi and same buzz..Enjoy things and quit complaining..The Club membership is a bargain for all the free drinks and Wifi that many of us use.
All liquor does NOT taste pretty much the same...
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I would call it "inelastic demand" more than anything else - and IMO their costs must be decreasing in tandem, given this booze downgrade and general sad state of food in the clubs.
Originally Posted by lensman
Does United make money off of the clubs? Do other airlines?

What do airlines view as the purpose of their airport clubs?

What do people think about the fact that one pays a flat rate and get unlimited entries? It's kind of an interesting cost proposition for the airline. I wonder what the makeup of members and entries is per unit revenue from the member? I'd guess that U.S. carriers have a lot more domestic lower-yielding members vs. foreign carriers, but I'm interested to hear what other people think.

I also find the rising membership rates interesting. They are going up way faster than inflation so does this mean that United's costs are going up or does it mean that United is trying to maximize revenue from the club system?
This issue is that there are many ways to get entrance into the club other than a simple membership

-Chase Club Card, which handed out a number of "First Year Free" offers which essentially negates the Club fee
-Chase Explorer card club passes
-*G members, BF paxs, etc.

Regardless of membership UA's costs can't fluctuate that much. They don't provide that many services once inside. Internet costs aren't going to vary much, your furniture might wear quicker but we already know they will not rush to replace that. They already provide the most basic food options and free drink options. And with higher traffic comes the possibility of increased revenue from premium drinks.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jmd001
Comments that I sent to UA earlier today:
...HOWEVER, while using my MP number for authentication may be acceptable, I strongly object to having to also input the PIN for my account. It is more than a hassle: It is a security risk to me. I believe there is substantial risk to a member for having one's PIN intercepted and potentially used fraudulently....
using https should cover your security concern but the hassle factor still exists
Old Sep 2, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
using https should cover your security concern but the hassle factor still exists
There are so many broken things to fix that I'm really astounded that they are addressing the Internet issue in this way. Were there really that many leachers? Not that I ever saw. Unless they're going to allow me to log in once and set a cookie or do something to remember me for a long period of time I'm going to be rather unhappy with this arrangement. And what happens to those wh have simply purchased a day pass?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There are so many broken things to fix that I'm really astounded that they are addressing the Internet issue in this way. Were there really that many leachers? Not that I ever saw. Unless they're going to allow me to log in once and set a cookie or do something to remember me for a long period of time I'm going to be rather unhappy with this arrangement. And what happens to those wh have simply purchased a day pass?
I wonder how they plan to implement it and why they need a MP#. What about a *G member from another airline or a BF passenger without a MP account? If I'm at the club, I'm usually in term E at IAH and I would take a guess that most of the people in that club aren't UC members, but are there for BF or *G on Intl flights. When they check you in are they going to have your data in the system and use that to authenticate you? There have been a few times where I've had issues with the internet, but it's because the club is jam packed with a gazillion people in it, not because of the 3 or 4 mooches sitting outside in the hallway. They are delusional if they think that people using free internet are degrading the quality in most circumstances. I'm not real thrilled about the overall changes. My Intl tickets are generally in the $6k - $8k range and it's a little insulting that they can't throw in a halfway decent drink in the club (or at least that's where it seems to be going).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:14 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
sad state of food.
I presume we are going with a very, very generous definition of the term "food"
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Internet now is great. People complain it's slow, but in EWR/ORD/SFO/LAX/PHL it works just fine for me and it is great not having to login or have an annoying pop up or landing page.
+1
I would add IAH to the list. It's my home base and I've never had a problem at IAH. IAD on the other hand is awful. Last time I was there, the internet was essentially unusable in the UC. Honestly, the entire UA IAD operation is such a complete dump. I wish they would knock the whole thing down and start over.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Just keep the Sam Adams beer and I'll be happy.

Denver has Heineken, Bud Light, and Blue Moon.
At least ORD has Honker's Ale--a rather enjoyable local brew.

Their beer selection is revolting. I don't mind BL, but a decent local brew (COMPLIMENTARY, Jeffy) wouldn't be too much to ask.

I think they should raise the price and cater to the business travelers instead of looking at is a income potential. I'm happy to pay the increase because I'm tired of shot glasses of beer, no food, bad coffee, and bar staff that play Pavlov after every drink they serve.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:49 pm

Here is the menu I guess

Beer: Mickey's 40 Oz
Colt 45
Schlitz
Corona Light
Michelob Ultra
All free

Wine The leftover from Charles Shaw
Non Varietal Water Wine

Spirits

John Sullivan's Rum
Jim Bon's Whiskey
Jeff Smisek Vodka
Elton's Gin
Scotch Tape Scotch
Coughman's Cognac
Free drinks

Enjoy the updated list. Just kidding. I really hope they put local beers and wines on tap and give better spirits.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH

I can go to LAX and.....ummmm.....ok, so it would be nice to have some better dining at LAX (at least IMHO).
At LAX I use my priority pass for the Alaska Boardroom. They make a mean bloody mary including spicy beans.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Is there a list online of what's free now and prices for "premium" drinks?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
From the plans and announcements it looks like the amenities and dinning in the new international terminal at LAX will be quite impressive when it opens.
And it will still be off-limits to UA travelers at LAX because it is in a separate terminal.

Wandering OT, but I continue to be underwhelmed by the F&B options available around most UA domestic terminals, particularly LAX & ORD, though I am not sure if that it is the fault of UA or the airport authority.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
And it will still be off-limits to UA travelers at LAX because it is in a separate terminal.

Wandering OT, but I continue to be underwhelmed by the F&B options available around most UA domestic terminals, particularly LAX & ORD, though I am not sure if that it is the fault of UA or the airport authority.
SFO T3 Dining options are incredible... Truly amazing what the airport authority has achieved.

And, back to topic (kind of): The new T3 United Club is also going to be excellent (hard product) as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.