Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines to offer non-stop Chengdu (CTU)-SFO service (11 June 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:37 am
Original Poster

It's Official the press release was made in China. SFO - CTU 3x weekly Non-stop begins June 2014.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's Official the press release was made in China. SFO - CTU 3x weekly Non-stop begins June 2014.
^
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:59 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Some of you were up late

Look out for something on our side of the ocean in a few hours...

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:33 am

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/tr..._132674765.htm

United Airlines to offer non-stop Chengdu-San Francisco service
CHENGDU, Aug. 29 (Xinhua) -- United Airlines is to offer a non-stop service between Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, and San Francisco of the United States from June 11 next year.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think this is an excellent new route for UA, in that it truly is a new market. CAN, SZX historically spill a lot of traffic to HKG (and v.v.) where UA has extensive service, BKK/SIN are long/thin routes that are already adequately served on UA metal, MNL is a low-yield/high-volume market that probably is not the best use of a 787-8, and AKL is an existing NZ route.

Thus, I would wager most passengers UA plans to carry on the SFO-CTU route will probably be new customers, between the local demand stimulated by a new service and the previous lack of a nonstop option to the USA. As noted, the Sichuan province is growing at a strong rate and there are considerable advantages to being the first-mover in the market to a strong connecting hub with the right airplane. The market will continue to grow, and UA can grow service there in kind.

If people are looking for out-of-the-box thinking from UA, this is it.

Last edited by EWR764; Aug 29, 2013 at 7:52 am
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by ElNegro
Quote:

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

Supposedly it's SFO - CTU 4x - 5x weekly on the 787.

Another city that won't be relevant to the most of us. Good Job United.

SIN or AKL would have been a wiser choice.
Just because you don't work for one of the many companies that's doing business in this part of China doesn't make it a bad decision.

I don't either, but lots of folks I know in tech and manufacturing are sending capacity over there and making business trips (as in paid premium) regularly.

Hard though it might be to believe, UA serves the demand of business travelers rather than the vacation needs of FTers.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by EWR764
If people are looking for out-of-the-box thinking from UA, this is it.
+1 ^ I'm maintaining my skepticism, for now, that 3x/wk can work, but this is the 787. It's supposedly designed for this kind of thin route, so it'll be interesting to see how things panda out. Smisek has said many times that the 787 is a "game changer." Kudos to him on this one for putting his words into action.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Driving by DCA
Just because you don't work for one of the many companies that's doing business in this part of China doesn't make it a bad decision.

I don't either, but lots of folks I know in tech and manufacturing are sending capacity over there and making business trips (as in paid premium) regularly.

Hard though it might be to believe, UA serves the demand of business travelers rather than the vacation needs of FTers.
If your looking for a more interesting vacation in china, Chengdu is pretty awesome, if only the drive to Jiuzhaigou wasn't so painful.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Well done Jeff. Wish it was sooner than June though.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
interesting with the plane overnighting in CTU.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Driving by DCA

+1. This is a great addition to the route network from a business perspective and some shockingly good foresight from UA. It seems to be a hot route, in fact British Airways is commencing service from Heathrow next month I believe.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP
interesting with the plane overnighting in CTU.
That's what I was thinking. Having it sit 15 hours on the ground every time it heads that way takes a lot of potential revenue off the table. They don't make any money on the ground.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

What are the flight timings?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
That's what I was thinking. Having it sit 15 hours on the ground every time it heads that way takes a lot of potential revenue off the table. They don't make any money on the ground.
I wonder if they will start doing some kind of maintenance over there?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I will definitely fly it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.