Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more last-minute opening of saver award availability (X/XN)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Over the weekend, dparkinson posted about the lack of X/XN availability close-in to a flight (T-24 to T-3). Traditionally, UA has opened up X/XN with all the other fare buckets close to the time of a flight. However, it now looks like they are no longer doing that. It's a huge change.

Because dparkinson's post was in regards to SDC, it was merged with the SDC thread. However, the biggest implication of this change is in last-minute award booking, not SDC. So I'm creating this new thread for discussion of the broader issues.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm Reason: Update title
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:23 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Not just X/XN but many fare buckets as well.. I could not SDC at all going from SFO-PIT on U fare two weekends ago. The only options that were available was the next day. Same thing with another trip the week before that on E fare.

UA has tighten up on opening up the buckets, I guess that is what happens with mergers and a downward pressure on capacity resulting in most flights being oversold which leads UA to tighten up in this area.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Not just X/XN but many fare buckets as well.. I could not SDC at all going from SFO-PIT on U fare two weekends ago. The only options that were available was the next day. Same thing with another trip the week before that on E fare.

UA has tighten up on opening up the buckets, I guess that is what happens with mergers and a downward pressure on capacity resulting in most flights being oversold which leads UA to tighten up in this area.
That has been happening for a while, sometimes, at least when Y is around 5 or below. Were you seeing it when Y was more than that?

What I'm seeing now is much more striking:

Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN0 X0

On a flight one hour out! I've never seen that before.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA*G
I pm'd UA insider to clarify if this was a policy change and if so to consider at least opening the XN bucket when all other buckets opens up around T3 to facilitate SDC, no response as of yet since last week
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
What I'm seeing now is much more striking:

Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN0 X0

On a flight one hour out! I've never seen that before.
Gee -- at an hour out with all 9s one would think they'd be happy t exchange miles for a seat...
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Gee -- at an hour out with all 9s one would think they'd be happy t exchange miles for a seat...
And they have been until now
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I recently booked a X award (saver) ticket for SFO-ORD-DCA last Friday, and was able to change it on Saturday (from IAD to DCA, free, no issues at all, and there was plenty of availability).
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I recently booked a X award (saver) ticket for SFO-ORD-DCA last Friday, and was able to change it on Saturday (from IAD to DCA, free, no issues at all, and there was plenty of availability).
You bring up a good point. It bears noting that some flights do have X/XN availability right up to the time of the flight. What has changed, though, is that United would previously open up X/XN along with the rest of the buckets at T-3 or before. That does not appear to be happening anymore.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
If true this is a huge devaluation. I hope it's temporary.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I had an award booking for my son last night of SFO FRA LHR. Waitlisted for SFO LHR. a day before SFO LAX LHR opened up some XN which went quickly and we did not take. In the end he never cleared SFO LHR which left with some empty seats,and had to wait an extra hour for the FRA flight.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
In my experience with KVS/UA all 9s close to departure is often a sign that the flight is full. I think there is even KVS FAQ about it somewhere.
Check the mobile.ua to see if there is really availability.

Ive been travelling PTY-EWR this weekend on YN and had EF alerts for IN for CM/UA flights. All of these flights went out full in Y so no XN alerts, but 3 out of 4 flights gave IN within 24h of departure.

I think you might just be looking at full flights/busy routes.
But it could also be broken
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsauch
In my experience with KVS/UA all 9s close to departure is often a sign that the flight is full. I think there is even KVS FAQ about it somewhere.
Check the mobile.ua to see if there is really availability.

Ive been travelling PTY-EWR this weekend on YN and had EF alerts for IN for CM/UA flights. All of these flights went out full in Y so no XN alerts, but 3 out of 4 flights gave IN within 24h of departure.

I think you might just be looking at full flights/busy routes.
But it could also be broken
Not sure what you're referring to, but at least since I started doing this (the beginning of this year), all 9's means all 9's. These are not full flights.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:04 am

Yikes, OK, so for example, today's EWR-IAH UA1034 leaves in 58 minutes (at 10:58 a.m.) and is F0 A0 Z0 P0 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 with an extremely empty seat map … but it only has Standard coach award availability, no Saver space.

Yeah, that is a bummer.

I do have to admit that when I saw a post from mgcsinc saying "This is why is makes almost no sense to ever get on an airplane on a standard award" at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...el-rebook.html I thought "uh oh, this probably was not a benefit that UA intended to provide."
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I do have to admit that when I saw a post from mgcsinc saying "This is why is makes almost no sense to ever get on an airplane on a standard award" at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...el-rebook.html I thought "uh oh, this probably was not a benefit that UA intended to provide."
Good point. They may now be enforcing quotas on saver award seats, regardless of load. That would be in my opinion a punitive and ultimately counterproductive strategy. If there are empty seats, why not let them go as saver awards?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
No fare classes displayed on UA.com

Just logged in to UA.com and on flights I was looking at there was no Fare Class displayed, only () where the fare class should be. Tried a couple of different routes and got the same. Could not get any fare class to display. Guess it is yet anther software bug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.