Search

LAX-NRT-AKL vs. LAX-SYD-AKL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
LAX-NRT-AKL vs. LAX-SYD-AKL

In about 6 weeks we are headed out on our honeymoon. We are currently booked for:

SMF-LAX (UAX, CR700 F, 0538a)
LAX-NRT (NH5, 777 new J, 1245p)
NRT-AKL (NZ90, 747 J, 1900p)

Using the old faithful last minute saver availability, we will probably be able to change to:

SMF-LAX (UAX Y, CR2, ~1700p)
LAX-SYD (UA J, 747, 2115p)
SYD-AKL (NZ Y, A320, time TBD)

by doing so we could either start our trip a day earlier and have an extra day to explore AKL before taking our motorcoach out into the countryside, or save alot of time in transit but arrive at about the same time on the same day.

However, I have major reservations about the reliablity of the SYD flights, and quite likely we will end up with sub par (non-UD) seats on the 747, possibly separated from one another, in the UA J cabin by changing at the last minute. I have no interest in changing to UA GF, since I dont want to spend more miles.

For the quality of the product alone, I am tempted to stick with what we have...though I am not relishing the 6 hour layover in LAX coupled with the 3am wakeup call to get to the airport, not to mention the 26 hours of flying.

What I am really hoping is that something opens up via HNL or RAR on NZ, but that is looking less likely by the day.

Community thoughts on what we should do as the time approaches?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Congrats on the honeymoon! I'm also taking my honeymoon in Sep. In my case SEA-NRT-BKK-SYD-AKL (with a few days in Tokyo) then AKL-NRT-SEA. I was originally booked into SYD but our plans changed. I've seen some sparse AKL-RAR J available but that flight doesn't seem to run every day. There's nothing to HNL unless you go through NRT.

I've found award flights SYD-AKL fairly sparse (but cheap for revenue tickets). SEA-NRT is wide open if you need a backup.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Why not fly down to LAX the night before? Unless you're devoting the previous evening to wedding ceremonies/celebrations, I'd suggest an overnight near LAX would make for a much more relaxing start to the honeymoon.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by prestonh
I've found award flights SYD-AKL fairly sparse (but cheap for revenue tickets).
+1 on the SYD-AKL cheapness to buy straight up.

The super cheap tickets, in my experience, can only be found if you book from the NZ or AU websites (either on NZ or QF). NZ offers "seat only" or "seat + bag" products that (I think) are only marketed in AU and NZ. If you buy from the US website I think the cheapest fare is "the works" which includes seat, bag, and food.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd take the routing you have and enjoy the foreign carriers service rather than taking two coach segments totaling over 5h butt in seat.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
I'd take the routing you have and enjoy the foreign carriers service rather than taking two coach segments totaling over 5h butt in seat.
^^ Stick with the F/J seats. No one should go on their honeymoon sitting in Y.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I like your current routing. I would stick with it.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I like your current routing. I would stick with it.
+1. The routing and classes of service you've booked will be very pleasant. The food and service on ANA are wonderful. Ditto for Air New Zealand. These award tickets will give you access to the lounges, too (Star Alliance lounge at LAX/TBIT, ANA & UA lounges at Narita).

Flying to LAX a day early is a nice idea. You can stay inexpensively at one of the airport hotels, and spend a little time on the beach at Santa Monica.

If it were me, I'd be willing to switch to a UA 747 (LAX-SYD or SFO-SYD) if there's space on the upper deck, but I also like transiting via Narita, so it would be a tough call.

Regardless of how you get to NZ, I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prestonh
Congrats on the honeymoon! I'm also taking my honeymoon in Sep. In my case SEA-NRT-BKK-SYD-AKL (with a few days in Tokyo) then AKL-NRT-SEA. I was originally booked into SYD but our plans changed. I've seen some sparse AKL-RAR J available but that flight doesn't seem to run every day. There's nothing to HNL unless you go through NRT.

I've found award flights SYD-AKL fairly sparse (but cheap for revenue tickets). SEA-NRT is wide open if you need a backup.
NZ9 and NZ10 operate between AKL and HNL and vv on various days (I think it is M/W/F/Sa. We have a stopover in HNL on the way home using NZ10.

SEA doesnt work without buying a ticket on AS or WN from SMF, which isnt really of interest to me at this point when UA will fly me for "free" to LAX.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Why not fly down to LAX the night before? Unless you're devoting the previous evening to wedding ceremonies/celebrations, I'd suggest an overnight near LAX would make for a much more relaxing start to the honeymoon.
This makes sense, maybe. It is something I will have to consider, depending on the availability of saver Y from SMF-LAX. Not willing to go SMF-SFO-LAX just to do that.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: VAG
The NZ flights to HNL have an inconsistent biz-class product; sometimes you'll be on a 777 with proper international lie-flat business class, sometimes on a 767 with a recliner.

Of course what you *really* want is the non-stop LAX-AKL on NZ. I assume it hasn't been mentioned just because award inventory is rare, but I just thought I'd throw that in there.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd stick with the current (NH) flights. Maybe deal with the long LAX layover by grabbing a cab out to Venice or Santa Monica for brunch at the beach.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to those who approve of the routing we already have, we booked it because even when NRT-AKL was 767, we expected it would be acceptable. It is a long trip and UAX has gutted capacity from both SMF and RNO thus causing the layover issue at LAX. So just trying to figure out if we can do any better, HNL via LAX or SFO seems the goal to aspire to unless NZ screws up and lets go two biz seats on the direct flights on one of the right days. On the days we are watching (and booked on in reverse), HNL-AKL is 772 with lie-flats so without a last minute substitution, no real issues there.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Everyone here is responding like a flyer talker!

My spouse wants to be on planes as little as possible. If I were the OP, I would check out last minute options that are most direct.

I would check NZs NS space from YVR as well.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Everyone here is responding like a flyer talker!

My spouse wants to be on planes as little as possible. If I were the OP, I would check out last minute options that are most direct.

I would check NZs NS space from YVR as well.
My spouse also likes our flights to be as short as possible. That said, She would gladly take a longer trip with F/C seats over a shorter trip in Y.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by transportprof
Agree with this -- what if UAX cancels that morning SMF-LAX service, making you miss the NH flight? Go down the night before and get a nice room at the Westin LAX. Much less stress.

Nothing worries me more than taking a regional flight to a hub to connect with an international longhaul flight... especially when UAX is involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.