Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Use credit from 2 canceled trips for 1 new ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald

Hi, I tried searching and googling but wasn't able to find an answer so I am posting a new thread.

I have a $200 credit from a canceled non-refundable flight ($350-150 change fee) and another $300 credit from a second canceled flight ($450-150 change fee). Both are United tickets.

I have a trip coming up that will cost $700 on United and was wondering if I can apply both canceled tickets towards my new flight so I can use the $500 of travel credits in one go I can't figure out a way on United.com.

Unfortunately if I book the new RT ticket as 2 one ways, each one way will price out at a $800 M fare for a combined cost of $1600 so I'd like to book the new trip as a RT and preferably use up both my travel credits in one shot.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

You can't use two canceled tickets to buy one new one. Basically, when you cancel a ticket, they remove the itinerary from it and allow you to add a new one using the funds you originally paid, once you pay the change fee. It will be the same PNR. The only way to use the credit for a single round trip is to break it into two one ways, but sounds like it won't work for you in this trip.

Also, note the way it works now is the change fee has to be paid in new money, and will allow you to use the full amount of the credit. PMUA, the change fee was taken out if the credit, leaving you with less credit, but requiring no new money to be paid. So your first credit isn't $200 (for $350 minus the $150 fee), it will be a $350 credit that you can access once you pay the change fee.

Also don't forget that credit will expire one year from the date of original issue. - so take that into account when deciding which credit to use. Also note that since using credit is essentially a re-issue of an existing ticket, you won't be able to make a free change within 24 hours.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On this particular new itinerary, the difference will only be $100 in cash outlay. OP is buying a $700 ticket. The maximum credit he can effectively use is $550 (presuming he's got a credit from a ticket before the change penalty was raised). He's got a $450 credit, so he will need to kick in $250 instead of $150.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
... He's got a $450 credit, so he will need to kick in $250 instead of $150.
$250 plus the new money change fee (which the OP appears to be aware of).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Darn, I was hoping the two credits could be combined. Oh well, it would have been too good to be true since this would increase the utilization of canceled non-refundable tickets..
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dchen2
Darn, I was hoping the two credits could be combined. Oh well, it would have been too good to be true since this would increase the utilization of canceled non-refundable tickets..
In this case, don' believe there was a conspiracy to prevent the use of cancelled tickets -- but a simple limitation of the method use (reuse of existing PNR) to access the credit.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Just curious - the old UA would let you combine credits as long as you had the 016 ticket numbers. In other words, they'd build a new PNR, and then use leftover funds from old tickets in order to ticket the new itinerary. Are we saying that this method no longer works? I understand that the web site does reuse PNRs, but would an agent be able to construct a new PNR and then reuse old tickets?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pat+
Just curious - the old UA would let you combine credits as long as you had the 016 ticket numbers. In other words, they'd build a new PNR, and then use leftover funds from old tickets in order to ticket the new itinerary. Are we saying that this method no longer works? ....
That is what I have been told.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Yep, I called into the 1k desk and they confirmed they can only exchange 1 old ticket per new issued ticket. So I ended up using my $300 canceled ticket credit first and will save my 2nd $200 credit for a rainy day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.