Uax den-san!?!?

Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mduell
There's no F on the CRJ-200 operated by SKW. CRJ2 coach gets a $100 premium over Southwest - people really do like frequency and are willing to pay for it.
No they are not! Less seats, and of course they get a premium as less seats are available. Someone who books that flight, for a 100 more, will not again! They probably didn't realize it was a crj200.

Am I wrong when I look at those numbers? Aren't they averages? Not really a flight vs flight? But an average?

Originally Posted by hmy1
The UX creep into formerly mainline UA routes out of SAN has been going on for at least a year. First it was to SFO (but scaled back since) and then DEN. I'm surprised they haven't tried to put one to IAH yet...
PHX gets it to IAH, I'm sure SAN isn't too far behind...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 16, 2013 at 10:34 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
& SMF.
flight from hell. recently i was scheduled to take SMF-DEN-LNK on CR200 and E145. SDCd out of that one thankfully.

i'm not sure about the "frequency" argument for the specific DEN-SAN route, but when it comes to frequency for SMF-LAX, for instance, WN blows UAX out of the water. we are down to three UAX flights a day whereas WN has 8. even Delta has 5 and I think AA has 3 or 4. so at least in some cases the "higher frequency/fewer seats" argument is pure and utter hogwash.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Originally Posted by groobie
Plus, the line at SAN to get through security to the WN flights is absolutely outrageous...seems to stretch forever at all times of the day.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
and BUR.

That's pretty much every airport terminal with dedicated (or mostly) WN presence. Like LAX T1.
Never been inside T1 @ LAX, but the check-in line always scares me when I drive by as its out the door and down the curb. No thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:18 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I guess UA isn't doing as we'll as I thought on DEN-SAN. As others have mentioned, I'd gladly take WN and forfeit the MP miles if it meant taking a regional jet. Hate those things with a passion.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scooter
I guess UA isn't doing as we'll as I thought on DEN-SAN. As others have mentioned, I'd gladly take WN and forfeit the MP miles if it meant taking a regional jet. Hate those things with a passion.
I wonder if it says more about UA's current position at DEN, not SAN. SAN still has 4-5 mainline flights to IAH, EWR, ORD and 3 to IAD. But as others have noted this follows the trend of UA becoming UX on lots of DEN - West Coast flights (SJC, SMF, RNO, BUR, etc). Seems like DEN is becoming an UX RJ hublet, with the notable exception of the NRT flight.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
I wonder if it says more about UA's current position at DEN, not SAN. SAN still has 4-5 mainline flights to IAH, EWR, ORD and 3 to IAD. But as others have noted this follows the trend of UA becoming UX on lots of DEN - West Coast flights (SJC, SMF, RNO, BUR, etc). Seems like DEN is becoming an UX RJ hublet, with the notable exception of the NRT flight.
DEN is to UA what SLC is to DL. RJs to the west (mainly), and bigger planes going east (mainly).
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GBadger
DEN is to UA what SLC is to DL. RJs to the west (mainly), and bigger planes going east (mainly).
Except doesn't DL (mostly, if not completely) provide a better RJ experience?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Except doesn't DL (mostly, if not completely) provide a better RJ experience?
Eh... To me a CR2 is a CR2, and a CR7/9 is a CR7/9. The Embraers are better than either of those. Only possible exception is that DL's have WiFi. But, DL also flies RJs SLC-SFO/LAX/SEA, where UA still has larger mainline flights to those airports (yay).

Granted, DEN is a bit further from the west coast than SLC is...
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:25 pm

Completely false!! DEN became that after WN showed up! Once again, they are running away.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Completely false!! DEN became that after WN showed up! Once again, they are running away.
Wait, is it true or false? I'm confused...
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
so...maybe next one will be HOU/IAH?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
No, just another out-station. No routes to anywhere except hubs.

And Mammoth Lakes, CA. Dont forget that seasonal service. Remember the HNL service a few years ago?

It was a focus city, and is not just another out-station. It is still is considered a major line station, its in a catagory of stations such as LAS, PHX, BOS, etc. GMs get paid more at these stations, and there are two IAM union groups at least - above and below the wing.

I fly weekly out of SAN to Chicago and find that Southwest is within $50-75 each time of the UA and AA flights. AA has been the lower end, often times, especially during peak travel times, WN is the highest option.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:06 pm

Wait, is it true or false? I'm confused...
Haha. Good catch! My point was meant to say DEN has become SLC recently but was not SLC until WN came in and took passengers away!!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Haha. Good catch! My point was meant to say DEN has become SLC recently but was not SLC until WN came in and took passengers away!!
If Spirit or Allegiant get their hands on Frontier, things at DEN could get really interesting.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
No, just another out-station. No routes to anywhere except hubs.
True, but UA has a big presence in SAN, just like BOS.

It would seem to me that SAN/BOS/SEA are the more significant non-hub station for UA. The DoD presence in SAN is significant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.