Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 14, 8:34 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: [Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: Bitterroot

Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global

Old Aug 13, 13, 4:34 pm   #1

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

I now hear it from multiple sources that CO will take over Australia flying from 2Q 2014. This is a devastating blow to the crews who have worked this route for years. It also means the elimination if global first and I imagine upgrades will become much harder. The UA SYD community is quite tight - so it will be very sad to see our familiar faces go away if this in fact materializes.

Mod edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daron4000 View Post
"We will announce 2014 international flying changes Saturday
Over the past several months, Network Planning worked with all of our operating divisions to develop United’s 2014 international flying plan. We will load the schedule into our system on Aug. 17. The new schedule reflects our ongoing work to put the right aircraft in the right markets to earn a sufficient return, which includes the addition of SFO-KIX (Osaka, Japan) Boeing 787 service.
First, we are moving some of our Boeing 747 flying back to ORD. Last year we decided to move all of this flying to SFO to improve the reliability of this fleet. Now that reliability has been restored, and we have a plan in place to better support the fleet, we can put the 747 on the routes that are better suited for the number of passengers the 747 carries. We will return the 747s to ORD and fly three routes: ORD-PVG (Shanghai), ORD-NRT and ORD-FRA (Frankfurt, Germany). We are matching those routes with 747s out of SFO to PVG, NRT and FRA; this route structure will continue to allow SFO maintenance to be the primary maintenance location and improve fleet profitability.
“We carefully selected these routes to generate the best performance from both a profitability and a reliability perspective,” said International Planning Managing Director Andrew Buchanan. “Our Tech Ops team did an outstanding job bringing this fleet back into an ongoing maintenance mode and are making the necessary investments to operate the aircraft reliably out of Chicago. We feel confident about moving some of them around the system carefully and selectively.”
We will also use 777s instead of 747s in the LAX-SYD (Sydney) and SFO-SYD markets and on the SFO-LHR (London-Heathrow) route. We’ll also replace a 777 with a 747 on the NRT-HNL (Honolulu) and SFO-NRT routes.
In addition to the 777 and 747 swaps, we’re also replacing a 747 with 787 service from SFO-KIX beginning April 8. “While SFO-KIX is a successful route for us, the load factor on the 777 is relatively low, so using the smaller, more efficient 787 there will improve results while allowing us to redeploy the 777 to routes with higher demand,” Andrew said.
With all of these decisions, we intend to better align capacity and operational cost of the aircraft to the amount of profitable demand in those markets.
“It’s important to keep in mind that demand and profitable demand can look very different,” Andrew said. “Our airline is a business, and businesses need to make money. We believe these changes will help us achieve a greater level of profitability for our airline, which in turn benefits our co-workers and all of our stakeholders.”

Last edited by J.Edward; Aug 16, 13 at 8:49 pm..
GlobalSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 4:40 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Big IFE upgrade for anyone traveling in Y.
star_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 4:42 pm   #3

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AS MVPG
Given the high demand for Australia... I don't get why they would pull the 747 (and put them on what other, more profitable routes?).
GimmeLegRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 4:45 pm   #4

Programs: UA gold, AA gold, VA gold, AF gold, status matching is awesome
Really? I thought the 777-200ER didn't have the range to do that route. That's why Delta had to get the -LR version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom View Post
Given the high demand for Australia... I don't get why they would pull the 747 (and put them on what other, more profitable routes?).
Because the plane breaks down twice a week and they have to rebook everyone on Qantas? That's gotta cut into the ol' profit margins.

Besides, the ancient IFE-less 747 in economy is absolutely awful and makes United Airlines a laughing stock on this side of the Pacific.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 13 at 6:20 pm.. Reason: merge
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 4:45 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, HH D
Woohoo, looking forward to this. After having flown this in Y on the 744 before -- never again.
unavaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 4:49 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL View Post
I now hear it from multiple sources that CO will take over Australia flying from 2Q 2014. This is a devastating blow to the crews who have worked this route for years. It also means the elimination if global first and I imagine upgrades will become much harder. The UA SYD community is quite tight - so it will be very sad to see our familiar faces go away if this in fact materializes.
Hopefully there will be joint contracts by then and any qualified LAX based crew members can operate the flight.

The CO 777s have better, more capable engines than UA 777s, which would make this switch possible.
fly18725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 4:54 pm   #7
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K, BA Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Really? I thought the 777-200ER didn't have the range to do that route. That's why Delta had to get the -LR version.
The sCO 777s were configured for long routes like EWR-BOM/DEL/HKG. Those birds can do SYD easily.

I was expecting this to happen to LAX-SYD due to the spike in airlines serving the route [DL and VA], but I think SFO-SYD can support 747.

Guess UA wants the fares to go up to $3K for Y.
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:14 pm   #8

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL View Post
The UA SYD community is quite tight - so it will be very sad to see our familiar faces go away if this in fact materializes.
Why don't you just work on solving this nonsense division and operating as one company by then? Then everyone can keep doing just what they were doing. Isn't it also possible for sUA employees to transfer to sCO, even now?
DaviddesJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:17 pm   #9

Programs: UA 3K UGS 2MM
Great way to cede premium revenue to QF. Why anyone would pay D or higher (common to SYD) for the sub par Business"first" product (unless they can upgrade to F) is beyond me.
kevanyalowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:17 pm   #10

Programs: EXP, UA Plat, MVPG, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diam, National Exec
Where are they going to move the 744s or is this the start of the 744s being removed from service?
flyerdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:26 pm   #11
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K, BA Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdude88 View Post
Where are they going to move the 744s or is this the start of the 744s being removed from service?
The latter... I suspect it will be the start of a long slow phasing out of the 744s unlike with the 752s.
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:49 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, AA Plat, SPG Plat75, Hertz 5*
The downgauges just keep coming
UA-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:55 pm   #13

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, HH D
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
The downgauges just keep coming
Yes, let's ignore the fact that this is a huge upgrade for Y travelers. You know, the vast majority of the passengers on the plane.
unavaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:58 pm   #14

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, Avis PC
Isn't LAX-SYD very tough for Mileage/GPU upgrades with high W fares, even with all of the competition? This would imply UA does pretty well in First & Business. Does it make sense for UA to switch to a Business only PMCO 772.

MileagePlus MM status: 518,055 Member since 2006
nova08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:59 pm   #15

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
Isn't LAX-SYD very tough for Mileage/GPU upgrades with high W fares, even with all of the competition?
No, doesn't look that way to me.
DaviddesJ is online now   Reply With Quote