Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by warreng24
So if SYD goes to sCO, where does the sUA flights/planes go?
What sCO routes currently flown by 777s will lose those birds? In favor of what - 787s?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

This is the incredible shrinking sUA!
The vision is no more sUA. Starting with its widebody fleet. Airbii will hang in a bit longer.

These 744s will be trashed in the desert.

The DOJ was 3 years too late.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Quote:

What sCO routes currently flown by 777s will lose those birds? In favor of what - 787s?
My guess is China. Replaced with SEA-NRT uaua 777, which gets replaced by 787

In other words, some double moves.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS
SYD going PMCO 777 in 2014

The 744 E seats are the worst I've ever sat in. Even so I'll put up with it (probably 20 times this year although most in C) just for the miles, so if there are better E seats, huge plus :-P.

Is this a good thing? If we get more reliable jets and more flights per day (which could mean more chance for upgrades) then I think yes. The number of cancellations and delays is what is leading me, a GS, too other airlines. I also saw delta has a morning flight out of Sydney. So, is this a possible move to actually increase capacity and flights per day? How many seats are these birds likely to have compared to the current 744s?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
This is a devastating blow to the crews who have worked this route for years.
Are we offering the same condolences to the CO crews of

IAH-LHR X 3
IAH-GIG
IAH-HNL X 2
IAH-EZE
IAH-LIM
IAH - etc etc

It's life, and I assure you, the CO crew have lost a lot more longhauls than they have gained.

Anyways, despite the talk of downgauge, this is a *M*A*S*S*I*V*E* Improvement for everyone in Y, it's an improvement for the folks in J due to 2-2-2 rather than 2-4-2 and Australia doesn't have too much paid C anyways, almost all upgrades
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Awful news if it is true!! I can't belive they would be a 1990s style 777 with an outdated business class section on this route operated by a PMCO crew. This merger has been horrible for consumers and UNited travelers! CO is/was not a premium airline.Glad I went to SYD when it was a 747.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Improvement for everyone in Y, it's an improvement for the folks in J due to 2-2-2 rather than 2-4-2 and Australia doesn't have too much paid C anyways, almost all upgrades
Agree that this is an improvement for those in Y, disagree that it is an improvement for those in business. Some of us prefer the UA C seat - even in 2-4-2 - because of the lack of footwell space in the sCO seats. Oh, and the IFE interface on the sUA IPTE C seats is better than on the sCO BF seats.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by star_world
Big IFE upgrade for anyone traveling in Y.
Huge downgrade for everyone else! 1990s BF is not acceptable on this route. We lose 2-2 on the upper deck and global First. Too bad this merger was not blocked!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree this would be an improvement for Y but a setback for J and a total loss for GF.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Huge downgrade for everyone else! 1990s BF is not acceptable on this route. We lose 2-2 on the upper deck and global First. Too bad this merger was not blocked!
1990s BF? Didn't Air China choose the same seats? Didn't Delta just choose the same seats? I'm not saying its the best product out there, but there are companies choosing this seat even SEVERAL YEARS after CO chose them.

Anyway I'm guessing they were looking at what portion were paid vs upgrades and decided that there was just too much of the latter in C and F. Global First and 744s will be gone out of the fleet in a relatively short time is my bet. I wish they'd pick up some 748s to replace them.

Originally Posted by halls120
Agree that this is an improvement for those in Y, disagree that it is an improvement for those in business. Some of us prefer the UA C seat - even in 2-4-2 - because of the lack of footwell space in the sCO seats. Oh, and the IFE interface on the sUA IPTE C seats is better than on the sCO BF seats.
I don't disagree with you, but I think the last poll that was done on the sUA vs the sCO seats shows that significantly more people on FT prefer the sCO seat.

Last edited by JC1120; Aug 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
Isn't LAX-SYD very tough for Mileage/GPU upgrades with high W fares, even with all of the competition? This would imply UA does pretty well in First & Business. Does it make sense for UA to switch to a Business only PMCO 772.
Not sure what route you're thinking of, LAX-SYD W fares about 12 cpm.

They're only losing 2 BF seats (and the GF cabin) going to the sCO 772 config.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:51 pm

This ridiculous subsidiary United and subsidiary Continental stuff has to stop.

I flew on the 787 shortly after they were pressed back into service once the battery problems were resolved in May. The international flight service manager on the flight from LAX to Houston had done the old CO LAX to SYD many times as a Continental flight attendant back in the day. Some of my best flight memories as a kid flying back to Australia to visit my family there were on the continental DC-10's. That crew, was one of the first international continental cabin crews I have experienced for a very long time. They were awesome!

Now back on topic: There's way too much capacity on the US to Australia routes right now. A lot of that has to do with the antitrust immunity that the DOJ has provided to Delta and Virgin.

That said, I highly doubt that United will give up it's freight revenue that the 747 – 400 can provide. Granted, a Continental 777 – 200 ER with the GE 90 engines can easily make it from the West Coast to Sydney they cannot do it fully loaded with passengers and freight.

If it is United's plan to start using the 777 on this route, I hope to expect to see multiple frequencies from San Francisco to Sydney and Melbourne (nonstop).

To be completely transparent, however, the last two times I headed to Oz, I've enjoyed Qantas's premium economy product, which blows anything United has out of the water for its cost.

Last edited by B787938; Aug 13, 2013 at 9:15 pm Reason: Cleaned up some typos
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
You would really rather fly for four extra hours rather than just download whatever you want to watch on your own device before the trip? Really? I don't understand this obsession with IFE, in an era when anyone can watch whatever they want.
The service on airNZ and the availability of a real PE product is a reason I have been considering moving. If I fly paid C then I would be jumping on airnz over UA on a co777 any day of the week the C product on airnz is worlds better then it is on the CO planes
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I give UA $20k per year flying out of sydney because they are the only airline that can get me easily to IAD & RIC & RDM & RSW
Screw with my comfort and I will give up my status and just fly cheapest carrier from now on... which would probobly end up being AirNZ where you still get real booze in Y for free....

DL has free booze in Economy Comfort which is free for Plat and up.

They can also get you to those secondary markets with a similar number of stops without having to interline.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by mduell
Not sure what route you're thinking of, LAX-SYD W fares about 12 cpm.
My experience has been 8-9CPM for a W fare as long as not flying during School holiday peeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.