Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
CO used to do that route. Not sure when they ended it. SFO-HNL-AKL, back the same way, with a stop in Fiji.
Interesting. But our OP definitely said "United."
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Kacee
Interesting. But our OP definitely said "United."
I only know because Mrs BlueZebra and I took it on our honeymoon a very long time ago.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Rumors are if the change to the 772 doesn't yield better profits, UA will drop the route and let NZ take over responsibility flying to SYD.

Multiple friends in UA all tell me that SYD is one the lowest yield international routes.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Rumors are if the change to the 772 doesn't yield better profits, UA will drop the route and let NZ take over responsibility flying to SYD.

Multiple friends in UA all tell me that SYD is one the lowest yield international routes.
Whilst I could believe a reduction in capacity, going from a planned 3 flights a day to none seems a little hard to believe...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:58 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Sounds strange. QF abandoned SFO-SYD so UA should be able to make good money on this route - especially with no immediate competition and equipment that now seems to operate on time. Bu then again, if UA persist on giving away upgrades, nobody will purchase seats in higher cabins. But what would I know
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by og
Bu then again, if UA persist on giving away upgrades, nobody will purchase seats in higher cabins. But what would I know
Right. Because SFO-SYD is known as such an easy upgrade. If only UA would stop giving 30 or 40 away per flight, maybe they could make some real money!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:47 am

Whilst the 772 (down from a daily 744 out of LAX) was the beginning of the end for the AKL services my experience is that the SYD fares are more expensive than any of the other TransPac flights.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:39 am

The routes with the longest stage lengths almost always have the lowest yields on a seat mile basis (the most common definition of yields). They also have lower costs per seat mile, which can still result in the routes being quite profitable.

You can't look at only half of the equation and expect to stay in business.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
The routes with the longest stage lengths ... They also have lower costs per seat mile, which can still result in the routes being quite profitable.
No, they don't. Costs stop declining (and then rise) as stage length increases because the aircraft is a flying gas can, burning lots of fuel on ULH stages just to carry fuel.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No, they don't. Costs stop declining (and then rise) as stage length increases because the aircraft is a flying gas can, burning lots of fuel on ULH stages just to carry fuel.
If you're limiting your view to just the airplane perhaps, but UA has a lot of fixed costs for each flight (airport fees & rent, airport labor, reservations labor, IT, catering, etc) that make up a smaller and smaller portion of the per seat mile cost.

I don't doubt that, on a per seat mile, the revenue on the SYD flights is lower than other flights, but I suspect that the profit is higher (or at least high enough).

UA must see some potential since they are adding seats with the 787 to MEL (a net increase even from the 2x 747 days).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Any one with recent experiences waitlisting for I/IN space on the SFO-SYD route? I'm currently booked on SFO-YVR-SYD leaving on a Sunday next month for a two person itinerary, waitlisted for IN on the non-stop. Would prefer not to go the long way. Seat map (insert disclaimer on how seatmap is not a marker of loads), is 13/40 occupied in J, 4/8 in F.

On a related note, which typically clears first, an award waitlist or a GPU waitlist?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin

This seems strange giving they are adding a melbourne flight in October, and the first 787 was originally scheduled for Auckland.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many

Another feather in the cap of the new award chart! Just change it to hugely inflated rates for flying on a partner then cancel UA service to anywhere anyone would want to go so that we have no choice BUT to fly on partner metal.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Seat question

I've seen 2 types of 772 biz seat arm rests - the swing-up type and the ones where the arm rest can be pushed down into the seat base. I'd like to know if the SYD flights consistently have one or the other. I've always preferred a window seat with the push-down type...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by djmp
I've seen 2 types of 772 biz seat arm rests - the swing-up type and the ones where the arm rest can be pushed down into the seat base. I'd like to know if the SYD flights consistently have one or the other. I've always preferred a window seat with the push-down type...
Are you talking lie flat seats or something else? I flew biz first time this year in 777 on this route last week. Beds are harder and narrower and not full 180, lie flat compared to old 747 configuration. Personal space seems tighter as well. Comparatively, the old United 747 flat bed seats were shorter, more cramped than anything I had flown previously on Air NZ or Singapore or Emirates. It doesn't seem an upgrade in biz class, more a step back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.