Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons for Lost EWR Nonstops on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I think there is likely a correlation between SAS having is main hub at CPH and UA dropping its flights to that city, since SK is a member of *A; there most likely was not enough traffic to justify non-stops on two *A carriers to CPH ex-EWR.
Interesting... there's more capacity on EWR-LIS (yes, I know there's a huge Portuguese community in EWR) than on EWR-CPH.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't forget the loss of IST
Probably can't compete with TK on service and prices.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Delta seems to be

doing OK to IST and EZE. For a carrier (CO) that has prided itself on the SA routes they are sure walking away from the furthest and most interesting city on the continent. They are giving it to American I guess. Not good for Star Alliance.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Suspended

CX starting EWR-HKG. UA axing it?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I think there is likely a correlation between SAS having is main hub at CPH and UA dropping its flights to that city, since SK is a member of *A; there most likely was not enough traffic to justify non-stops on two *A carriers to CPH ex-EWR.

As far as Bristol, this was discontinued in the fall of 2010. I don't know the exact reasons, but I would have to think that Bristol as simply too small a market. CO liked to serve "long-thin" routes, but this one was downright "long-anorexic."
I flex the EWR-BRS back in 2007 when CO offered 25k miles roundtrip from the US to BRS... That in itself speaks volumes. Needless to say, there were empty rows all around on a 757 in coach.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
CX starting EWR-HKG. UA axing it?
CX's proposed schedule seems to be better timed for business travelers. 620pm departure from HKG vs. 1025am on UA would allow business travelers to have a few extra hours in the work day in HKG.

On the reverse CX's 1:20am / 1:50am departure from EWR allows them to land at HKG at 5:40am / 6am which allows for a full day of work in HKG (and a full day of work in NYC) as opposed to UA's 3pm departure which lands in the evening at HKG and cuts into the day of work in NYC.

Wonder if UA will alter their times in response (assuming CX gets regulatory approval)

EDIT: Timing of flights was flipped as pointed out by golfingboy, edited to reflect

Last edited by Duke787; Aug 13, 2013 at 5:56 pm Reason: Flipped the timing - thanks golfingboy
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
CX's proposed schedule seems to be better timed for business travelers. 620pm departure from Newark vs. 320pm on UA would allow business travelers to have a couple extra hours in the work day in NYC.

On the reverse CX's 1:20am / 1:50am departure from HKG allows them to land at EWR at 5:40am / 6am which allows for a full day of work as opposed to UA's 10:25am departure which lands in the afternoon at Newark.
It is the opposite.

From my understanding the flight will operate as:

HKG->EWR
Depart 6:20pm arrives at 8/9pm same day

EWR->HKG
Depart 1:15am/1:50am arrives at 5:40am +1 day

I agree, the CX flight is timed much better.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by iquitos
doing OK to IST and EZE. For a carrier (CO) that has prided itself on the SA routes they are sure walking away from the furthest and most interesting city on the continent. They are giving it to American I guess. Not good for Star Alliance.
?

Delta's EZE flight is out of Atlanta. Like United, they have only one route to EZE, from their Southern hub.

Airline routes are delayed indicators. Argentina had a tough year for economic growth last year. The route was marginal for United, so it got cut. This year Argentina growth is accelerating...so in a year or two, it could be eyed to return.

Delta to Istanbul. They were late to the game. Very curious to see if it lasts into next year given the instability this year. Hope it does - I want UA to reinstitute it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: United MP GS, HH Silver, Amtrak nothing
Originally Posted by golfingboy
It is the opposite.

From my understanding the flight will operate as:

HKG->EWR
Depart 6:20pm arrives at 8/9pm same day

EWR->HKG
Depart 1:15am/1:50am arrives at 5:40am +1 day

I agree, the CX flight is timed much better.
Definitely much better timing than UA. Business travelers don't waste a day of work on departure day at both ends. Makes a lot of sense but then HKIA may not have any better time slots for UA, especially since it is CX home airport and they might give priority to CX for the better time slots. Will be interesting to see what happens.......
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by katan
It has to come down to the O&D traffic to CPH. If you are connecting through to somewhere else in Europe, then they either have good direct options or a fairly large partner site at FRA. Where FRA doesn't reach (the obscure Scandinavian locations) are served out of OSL and ARN anyway.

I fly to OSL to parts of Norway about 3 times a year, always in through EWR-OSL No matter what it is OSL since Norway is lightly served. No complaints - at least you receive miles now for domestic Norwegian flights.
Agreed. I miss being able to take UA to CPH -- since SAS' hard product in J is nothing to write home about -- but for most places you were connecting through CPH to you can get via OSL and ARN.

The domestic side of OSL sucks, though. No lounges. =\
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Wonder if UA will alter their times in response (assuming CX gets regulatory approval)
No - the reason? See UA 862/869 (SFO-HKG).

Beside - I doubt the FAA will approve the route anyway. With DL's cutting DTW-HKG, only UA and CX do U.S.-HKG nonstop and CX dominates by capacity (UA+SQ: 4, CX: 10).

If FAA approves it, CX must take a concession at JFK.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by JC1120
I'm pretty sure that ... Athens (economic issues) ... are because of profitability.
Any time I flew EWR-ATH, it was packed at close to 100% load (I can't be sure every seat was filled, but if not, it was damned close). When UA/CO stopped flying EWR-ATH, I started using AC"s YYZ-ATH service, and again, same thing, 100% loads, and I always go during shoulder or off season, usually twice per year. This summer, Greece is having it's biggest tourist season ever.

While the prices charged might not have made the EWR-ATH route profitable, in my limited experience, it wasn't because of poor loads.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by garykung
If FAA approves it, CX must take a concession at JFK.
They already did, they swapped a pair of JFK slots with BR for EWR slots. I doubt the FAA will arm-wrestle for more concessions from CX. After all, everyone has the chance to take part in the US-HKG competition and nobody is interested really. Unlike Brazil and LHR routes where airlines want slots to operate the route, nobody wants slots out of JFK to fly to HKG.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
CX's proposed schedule seems to be better timed for business travelers. 620pm departure from HKG vs. 1025am on UA would allow business travelers to have a few extra hours in the work day in HKG.

On the reverse CX's 1:20am / 1:50am departure from EWR allows them to land at HKG at 5:40am / 6am which allows for a full day of work in HKG (and a full day of work in NYC) as opposed to UA's 3pm departure which lands in the evening at HKG and cuts into the day of work in NYC.

EDIT: Timing of flights was flipped as pointed out by golfingboy, edited to reflect
I like UA's timing, since I use HKG to connect to another airport (mainly MNL) and I stay on US time while I'm there. Both 3pm departure from EWR and 10am departure from HKG fly at US night time, so easier to sleep and no jet lag. Plus on the US side, I can get a half day's work done before departing and after returning.

Guess it depends where your base is.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Plus on the US side, I can get a half day's work done before departing and after returning.
On the CX side, no matter where you are based, you get a full day of work in before heading to the airport. The nice thing about CX is you can work in HKG a full Friday, then fly to NYC arriving at night on Friday. You still work on Friday and get to enjoy a full weekend with the family or friends.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelnj

Plus on the US side, I can get a half day's work done before departing and after returning.

On the CX side, no matter where you are based, you get a full day of work in before heading to the airport. The nice thing about CX is you can work in HKG a full Friday, then fly to NYC arriving at night on Friday. You still work on Friday and get to enjoy a full weekend with the family or friends.
Now that is pretty compelling

Why UA doesn't at least alter HKG-EWR so that you can connect to it from SIN baffles me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.