Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "In Seat AC Power Issues / Experiences / Questions"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Two common power issues
1. Changer draws more than 75W -- most on-aircraft AC outlets are limited to max 75Ws
Fixes
Purchase a 75W or less charge for your computer
Change computer settings not to charge the battery, reducing power drain
Remove your computer battery (if removable)
2. AC plug will not stay in place or power module will not fit (especially Apple power modules)
Fixes
Use 3-prong adapters -- such as USA 2 to 3 prong adapter or UK adapter
Use a short travel extension cord
Slightly bend prongs outward (very slightly)
AC Power not working?
-- for some aircraft power is unavailable on landing/takeoff (until 10,000 ft ?)
-- sporadic reports (just certain aircraft) that due to excessive overall passenger AC power usage, some seats will have their power disabled -- very unclear how this works "Rotating" availability of electricity on 737s?
Most aircraft have a green light in the receptacle showing power availability, some aircraft have a blue light on the aisle side of the seat showing availability
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "In Seat AC Power Issues / Experiences / Questions"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I always bring a polarized extension cord which fits snugly. My iPad plug never stays in -- its like it's too heavy or something and it just falls to the ground (or worse, it partially comes out and hangs there until I realize my battery is dead).
I've encountered this in some of the clubs as well (especially DEN).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
There's a long thread on power cycling on UA's 737s. Many of these aircraft will only supply intermittent power to each outlet - allegedly for load balancing reasons.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...city-737s.html
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
Half the time I can't even find the power outlets. Why does UA have them almost on the ground? I wish they would go with what AC does and put them on the back of the headrests.

I've also noticed that when taxiing and about to land, is when they don't work (at least for me - the green light turns off).
Every time I've plugged something in pre-flight, I'm told by the FA to unplug for takeoff anyway. Not sure if that's a rule or just my luck, not a big deal. Could it be they can turn them off for taxi/takeoff/landing?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I've only attempted to charge my phone or tablet. I do remember it not working with my laptop recently (and that was in F), but I try to avoid using my laptop on flights.

When I say doesn't work, I definitely mean both but it feels like it's more of an issue with the outlet. You can jiggle it around in there so much, which sometimes you can see it'll charge for a second but since it won't stay in that position, it's not really usable
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by docbert
What are you trying to plug in?

Many of the outlets have a maximum power output of around 70 watts, which is less than some laptop power supplies draw, especially when they are trying to charge the battery.....
Another common problem is Apple products, there are well known physical fit issues of their power modules. Many Apple users travel with short extenders to address this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2015 at 3:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by JBord
Every time I've plugged something in pre-flight, I'm told by the FA to unplug for takeoff anyway. Not sure if that's a rule or just my luck, not a big deal. Could it be they can turn them off for taxi/takeoff/landing?
I've heard this announced lately during boarding, I believe it has to do with surges experienced when coming off gate power, and during takeoff. I get the disconnect off gate power, fluctuation during takeoff is a little less clear to me.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Many of the outlets have a maximum power output of around 70 watts, which is less than some laptop power supplies draw, especially when they are trying to charge the battery.

As a workaround you can remove the battery which will drop the draw, but has the disadvantage that when you or your seat-mate kick the plug out (and it's a when, not an if) you'll lose all power...
The charger for my Macbook Pro, which is a 60W charger. 70W is a pretty lame limit though, it should be around 120-150W IMHO.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Could it be they can turn them off for taxi/takeoff/landing?
Believe that's the case. I just wait until we're in the air.

My laptop has a dead battery, so don't even bring it with me (the battery, bring laptop) and I've never had problems once it's plugged in properly, though on occasion I've had green light turn red, which is a major pain for me as I have to shut down and start up the laptop after getting a green light.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Imstevek
I've heard this announced lately during boarding, I believe it has to do with surges experienced when coming off gate power, and during takeoff. I get the disconnect off gate power, fluctuation during takeoff is a little less clear to me.
It's a safety issue. If an emergency evacuation is necessary, the FAA doesn't want cords in the way that could be a tripping or snagging hazard.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
It's a safety issue. If an emergency evacuation is necessary, the FAA doesn't want cords in the way that could be a tripping or snagging hazard.
That makes sense, and I always have it unplugged and put away for landing anyway, but they probably do the same thing then.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain
Originally Posted by STS-134
The plugs on my UA flight last Saturday glowed green, but when I had something plugged into them, they'd start glowing red after a while (and no power would be provided to the device). Then I'd have to remove the plug, it would change back to green, then plug it back in. Really annoying.
I had this problem last Thursday on UA 903 (SFO-FRA). My tablet was down to about 17% charge when all of a sudden the charger started charging it. The outlet had finally decided to give me power. Fully charged the Nexus 7 after that. And this was in E+.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:34 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle

Many of the outlets have a maximum power output of around 70 watts, which is less than some laptop power supplies draw, especially when they are trying to charge the battery.

As a workaround you can remove the battery which will drop the draw, but has the disadvantage that when you or your seat-mate kick the plug out (and it's a when, not an if) you'll lose all power...
So glad you posted this. I have had this exact problem with my Lenovo. After seeing your explanation, I went online and found that my computer has a setting to reduce the AC power draw on airplanes. Score!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, I've been on flights where the FA neglected to turn the power system n until I asked them to do so.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
FWIW, I've been on flights where the FA neglected to turn the power system n until I asked them to do so.
Now that's good info ^ In case it happens in the future @:-)

So far I've had pretty good luck, at least using power outlets.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
On some aircraft put the power is disabled when the seatbelt sign is turned on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.