Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Does Air China's IAH-PEK Compare to United's IAH-NRT for Onward Transit to Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Does Air China's IAH-PEK Compare to United's IAH-NRT for Onward Transit to Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
Looks pretty good to me. Not sure what's the problem? Looks on-par with what I've gotten on BR and NH on short-haul Y. Have you seen a UA meal in Y recently?
dude agreed., my failed attempt at begin sarcastic
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by ddjen11
dude agreed., my failed attempt at begin sarcastic
/s tags are mandatory
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My cousin flew on CA from TPE to PVG last Oct, this is the coach inflight meal for the < 2hr domestic flight. No wonder Chinese are all so lean, who can survive on this?

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a3b7135.jpg
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2304944a.jpg

we should be thankful for US' friendly airlines, they know what's best for their beloved travelers.
Yeah...your humor did not come across. I was wondering too.

Here is what UA serves for free in Y for a 2 hour flight: http://www.comp.rgu.ac.uk/students/u...s/image370.gif
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by username
Yeah...your humor did not come across. I was wondering too.

Here is what UA serves for free in Y for a 2 hour flight: http://www.comp.rgu.ac.uk/students/u...s/image370.gif
ok ok i re-edited that post.

Wow you got a royal feast!

Last edited by ddjen11; Jan 24, 2014 at 10:36 am
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:21 pm

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...omment-1485039

Ok for those who had flown CA iah-pek in F, are comments posted to the above regarding CA correct? They are saying the 2 (ca and china southern) are basically comparable.

Had i read that review, i would not have booked ca at all.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
My cousin flew on CA from TPE to PVG last Oct, this is the coach inflight meal for the < 2hr domestic flight.
Not to pile on, but while Beijing may consider Taiwan part of China, Taiwanese do not recognize this @:-)
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I read this thread and I think people generally don't mind flying CA to PEK; problems arise on departure/transit.

Based on this and Lucky's review, I burned UA miles to book IAH-PEK-HKG in CA F for mid-May. The layover in PEK is 3.5 hours so that should be enough, right? Any good threads on transiting PEK?

P.S. On a return managed to snag CX F to SFO since I can do a stop-over there before coming back to Houston.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rusdude
The layover in PEK is 3.5 hours so that should be enough, right? Any good threads on transiting PEK?
I'm sure 3.5 hours will be fine. IIRC there is/are threads in China forum.

Unless it's one of the terrible smog days. I was lucky and got out, though you could barely see the sun in the middle of the day, and next day flights were grounded due to lack of visibility.

Oh, and I snagged CA F via PEK to IAH, hopefully it will be nice.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Keep in mind when you fly chinese airlines in J or F, you are paying (with miles I hope!) for the brand new industry leading hard product, not the soft product.

I was considering booking PEK-LHR in F but decided against it as the connection SHA/PVG-PEK on CA would have been in Y as CA does not seem to be releasing any domestic award F seats. I ended up booking "F" on PVG-TPE to fly BR.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Keep in mind when you fly chinese airlines in J or F, you are paying (with miles I hope!) for the brand new industry leading hard product, not the soft product.
Yes, with miles

Flew a relatively short PVG-KIX on CA in coach (thank you UA for cancelling that day's PVG-SFO, rerouting me via a 5 hour stopover in KIX costing me half day of scheduled two day Shanghai visit ), and have no complaints about serivce. They even let me sit in exit row for no extra charge
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I'm sure 3.5 hours will be fine. IIRC there is/are threads in China forum.

Unless it's one of the terrible smog days. I was lucky and got out, though you could barely see the sun in the middle of the day, and next day flights were grounded due to lack of visibility.

Oh, and I snagged CA F via PEK to IAH, hopefully it will be nice.
Thank you!

BTW, is it still true that you can't select seats online on CA?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Rusdude
Thank you!

BTW, is it still true that you can't select seats online on CA?
For the most part, yes. However, calling to get seats is so painless that I'm surprised this issue continues to rear its head.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by chuckywang
Completely disagree with this. Hainan Airlines is only one of a few Skytrax 5-star airlines in the world. China Southern is a 4-star airline. United, AA, and Delta are all 3-star airlines.

Plus, all Chinese airlines still serve a complimentary meal on domestic flights, as opposed to any US based airline.
Did you actually believe what skytrax said or you have actually flown both CZ and HU ?

Did you know that at one point HU was 5 star but NH was 4 star ? With that rating do you still believe in Skytrax ? You would never get the quality of NH's food and service in any of China's big 4 CA, CZ, MU, HU !

And sorry, not all Chinese airlines serve a complimentary meal on domestic flights, unless it is key markets like PVG-PEK, many smaller markets for non-meal hours only have a snack box, same as CX and CI, both had downgraded from meal to snack box for non-meal hours flights for HKG-TPE.

If any of you guys are cigarette smoke sensitive, I suggest you should read this thread first before flying CA !

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ull-smoke.html

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Did you actually believe what skytrax said or you have actually flown both CZ and HU ?
I thought that we had successfully put this horse to sleep and moved on. No self respecting FTer puts more than an ounce of faith in Skytrax ratings (in addition to the Chinese carriers, MH's 5* rating is dubious at best).

That having been said, I do give HU some props for its extremely cheap business class fares.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not to pile on, but while Beijing may consider Taiwan part of China, Taiwanese do not recognize this @:-)
Cannot agree more. domestic - bad choice of words.

Btw China Airlines is Taiwan based & code is CI, Air China is Communist China and code is CA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.