FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by runner450
The official policy is: "If first class or business class was not available at time of booking, deadheading United pilots will be eligible to be placed on the upgrade list ahead of revenue, NRPS and NRSA customers"
If a FC is not available at the time that the DH is booked, this is often well before a pilot is assigned to the DH, the pilot is placed at the top of the upgrade list only if it is more than three hours prior to the flight's departure. If it is within three hours, the pilot is placed on the upgrade list below revenue customers.

The DHing pilot would have either been #1 on the list, or below all revenue upgraders. If below, then the poster should have been upgraded.

The agent can check the upgrade list on their handheld device which they should have brought with them onto the airplane for just such situations.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, wxguy and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think I see what happened here and it's not shenanigans.

The official policy is: "If first class or business class was not available at time of booking, deadheading United pilots will be eligible to be placed on the upgrade list ahead of revenue, NRPS and NRSA customers"

looks like the name you saw on the list ahead of you was the placeholder name for deadheading pilots. that booking was cancelled and replaced with the DH pilot about 25 seconds later.

I don't know anything about who declined the upgrade offer, but the upgrade correctly went to the person that it was always intended for. just a late name-swap.

shenanigan debunked, sorry!

please see above
Nothing is debunked yet, the OP deserves an official investigation and response from the airline directly and should pursue their complaint.
SPN Lifer and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
This morning I flew DEN-SFO. I was #2 on the upgrade list, with front cabin booked 20/20 and checked in 19/20. I settled into my row 10 seat and the gate agent comes on the plane with a boarding pass for Mr. #1 on the upgrade list, who I noticed showed as cleared in the app. I heard #1 decline the upgrade, but did not hear his reason.

I got excited, since the app said I was next. However, instead of upgrading me, the staff member (not sure if gate agent or flight attendant) upgraded somebody else who was dressed in a United uniform and appeared to be a commuting pilot. I tried to get her attention but she either did not hear me or ignored me.

Shenanigans? Is there any circumstance where this situation would adhere to policy? Should I contact 1K voice, or would that just be a waste of my time?
Can we confirm that the first person offered the upgrade was not a DH pilot? If they were, the agent was following policy to a T. Probably not, but I thought I would ask.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
looks like the name you saw on the list ahead of you was the placeholder name for deadheading pilots. that booking was cancelled and replaced with the DH pilot about 25 seconds later.
The name ahead of me on the upgrade list was BAI, J. That name had been on there for at least a day. When the agent offered the upgrade to BAI, J. I heard her call him "Josh." Unless that was a coincidence, it seems that BAI, J. was not a placeholder name, just a guy ahead of me on the list who declined an upgrade.

I wrote to 1Kvoice. I'll followup with whatever their response when it comes.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Can we confirm that the first person offered the upgrade was not a DH pilot? If they were, the agent was following policy to a T. Probably not, but I thought I would ask.
I think he was wearing a t-shirt and jeans - definitely not in uniform. I can't confirm he wasn't a DH pilot, but I think DH pilots usually wear their uniforms.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I think he was wearing a t-shirt and jeans - definitely not in uniform. I can't confirm he wasn't a DH pilot, but I think DH pilots usually wear their uniforms.
Not necessarily. On a DH I can’t get out of my uniform quick enough!

When commuting I wear my uniform nearly every time.
SPN Lifer, uanj, N104UA and 1 others like this.

Last edited by clubord; Jul 10, 2021 at 6:54 pm
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:03 am

shenanigan debunked, sorry!
Oh great, I can go back to my previous understanding that shenanigans are vanishingly rare and basically never reported on FT.
LaserSailor, runner450 and N104UA like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The placeholder would be "CRE". I think the first initial is "D", but am not sure.

Depends. If we're going to fly right after the DH then we'll probably be in uniform. Many will change out of the uniform if they are DHing after flying without another flight in that duty period. It's more difficult to change when wearing the full uniform (jacket and hat) and you need room to put them. Many would prefer to DH out of uniform to keep a lower profile.

I usually commute in uniform, but not always. Half of my commutes this month are out of uniform because I'm commuting to work the night before the trip starts.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
Oh great, I can go back to my previous understanding that shenanigans are vanishingly rare and basically never reported on FT.
Nothing has been debunked yet, the OP is owed an explanation from 1K Voice
IMissThe747 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Nothing has been debunked yet, the OP is owed an explanation from 1K Voice
Yeah but my prior is so far skewed toward it not being shenanigans that when a UA employee looks at the audit trail and posts on FT what happened and that narrative is not consistent with shenanigans, I stop worrying about it.

If new information comes to light I will be open to adjusting my opinion again, of course.
lincolnjkc, N104UA and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
that when a UA employee looks at the audit trail and posts on FT what happened and that narrative is not consistent with shenanigans, I stop worrying about it.
Ive seen no evidence a UA employee checked this out. Someone would actually risk their job for that? I don’t think so.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Ive seen no evidence a UA employee checked this out. Someone would actually risk their job for that? I don’t think so.
Hahahh, no United employee would risk their job for flyertalk
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I certainly would hope not! I enjoy hearing from airline employees, but do not want them risking their jobs or even getting some heat.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Flyertalk aside, I personally don’t get why anyone would assume employees habitually risk their jobs (both parties involved) by deliberately sidestepping the upgrade list to begin with.

To perform such an action would require one to be logged into the gate management system, using a company workstation where every keystroke, seat movement, upgrade/downgrade is monitored, timestamped, and recorded by United.

The seat management process is so easily tracked, it would be career suicide for both for the CS agent and the pass rider to pull such an act as is inferred by some posters here.

I get it’s not a perfect system and people can make mistakes. If you feel violated by all means continue reporting it to the airline and keep the agents accountable, it helps us all in the end. But I do think 57 pages worth of this is a bit much to do about nothing considering none of us have ALL the facts for each situation.

Last edited by clubord; Jul 11, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:55 am

I received a response from 1kvoice that contained an apology that sounded sincere, a statement of United's values, and a reference to an internal investigation.

I will assume the best of people - that it was a dead heading pilot who was entitled to the upgrade, and that it was not a rushed gate agent/flight attendant who simply moved somebody, shortly before closing the cabin door, without updating the system in order to avoid any delay. My experiences with UA have been and continue to be almost entirely positive.

So, while I'll never know what actually happened, at least I received a well written response.
onthesam and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.