Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by JK IAD
Anyone KNOW anything about plans by United to finally do something about it?
Rumor has it that it's going to happen when that new startup carrier, Swine Air, begins flying.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i've found myself more recently taking the people mover/moon buggys more often than the trains, esp with the positioning of the TSA precheck, and my outbound / inbound gates tending to be in the D or higher C gates. the walk from the train C station is quite a hike!

Term B is a dream compared to C & D.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by eleeut
i've found myself more recently taking the people mover/moon buggys more often than the trains, esp with the positioning of the TSA precheck, and my outbound / inbound gates tending to be in the D or higher C gates. the walk from the train C station is quite a hike!

Term B is a dream compared to C & D.
Considering the trains were built with the new concourse in mind, I am not surprised. If they ever build IAD C/D, I would think they would get rid of the moon buggies.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by edcho
Considering the trains were built with the new concourse in mind, I am not surprised. If they ever build IAD C/D, I would think they would get rid of the moon buggies.
They will for domestic, but unclear how they would handle international arrivals, as there's currently no way to segregate those travelers. Perhaps they could integrate an international arrivals screening into part of the new C/D terminal, and have all international flights arrive there, allowing passengers then to proceed on trains, etc. to connecting flights or the main terminal via trains.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
They will for domestic, but unclear how they would handle international arrivals, as there's currently no way to segregate those travelers. Perhaps they could integrate an international arrivals screening into part of the new C/D terminal, and have all international flights arrive there, allowing passengers then to proceed on trains, etc. to connecting flights or the main terminal via trains.
You could build a second level for international arrivals like they do at IAH.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
You would lose all the time saved because you would have to go through security again to get to the main terminal exits. That is a trade-off I don't want to make, because you then end up having to deal with liquids in duty free and checked luggage which wouldn't be allowed in the terminal. I know there is at least one airport which requires you to collect your luggage go through customs and then effectively re-check it to the main terminal. I can't think of anything worse than having to go through baggage claim twice!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Our best shot at a new concourse:

DC is one of four US cities seeking to be the US candidate city for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games, along with LA, SF, and Boston. In the event that "Washington 2024" wins its bid to be the US candidate city in 2015 and then is awarded the Games by the IOC in 2017...I would be shocked if a permanent C/D replacement isn't built in time for the Opening Ceremony.

Full disclosure: I am a huge fan of IAD. So the glossing over of the long journey to win the Games is intentional.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by halls120
Back in August I was greeted by a familiar sight at IAD - trash cans collecting rain from the leaky roof, and temporary A/C units.
They had some of the trash cans collecting water in the B terminal yesterday, not to far from Lufthansa's lounge.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
don't even get me started on the fact that there is no train or metro connecting it to anywhere close to civilization.
They're building the Metro Silver Line out to IAD (the first part of it is already up and running), and they claim they'll have it finished in a few years, I think. Given the fact that both WMATA and MWAA move like they're covered in molasses, I think it'll be done around my 50th birthday (I'm 35).

Originally Posted by unitedfflyer

DC is one of four US cities seeking to be the US candidate city for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games, along with LA, SF, and Boston. In the event that "Washington 2024" wins its bid to be the US candidate city in 2015 and then is awarded the Games by the IOC in 2017...I would be shocked if a permanent C/D replacement isn't built in time for the Opening Ceremony.
I'd be shocked if DC 1) got the Olympics and 2) a new C/D is built in time for them. OT, but the thought of the Olympics here makes me shudder. Inaugurations every 4 years are bad enough, and those are only a few days. 2 weeks of that? No, thanks. And there's no way Metro will be able to move that many people efficiently. Or at all.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
They're building the Metro Silver Line out to IAD (the first part of it is already up and running), and they claim they'll have it finished in a few years, I think. Given the fact that both WMATA and MWAA move like they're covered in molasses, I think it'll be done around my 50th birthday (I'm 35).
Using the Silver Line to get out toward IAD is definitely an improvement from before. Just take the Silver Line out to Wiehle/Reston East and then take the $5 Silver Line Express shuttle over to IAD. I timed it out coming from South Arlington back in August: only took me an hour and twenty minutes from door to door. Not as good as having the actual train station at IAD but definitely progress.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
They're building the Metro Silver Line out to IAD (the first part of it is already up and running), and they claim they'll have it finished in a few years, I think.
Construction is underway on the 2nd phase and I think 2018 is the scheduled opening, which means 2020 is reasonable. You can see work underway in various spots on the IAD property already.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by unitedfflyer

Full disclosure: I am a huge fan of IAD. So the glossing over of the long journey to win the Games is intentional.
No US city can afford to host the Olympics, let alone DC which would require a security budget akin to half the defence department's current budget, or the whole FBI budget. As for IAD, it is indeed one of the world's worst designed airports and the idiots who approved the train station a miles from the C/D pier should be burned in effigy every hour on the hour in the main concourse of the station so we can admire the site while riding up or down the escalators.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
You would lose all the time saved because you would have to go through security again to get to the main terminal exits.
Good point - it's hopeless!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Bottom line -- new concourse requires Jeffie to cough up a billion dollars or so. I won't hold my breath.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:00 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by halls120
And they also decided it would be too expensive to build the capacity to run trains from the Concourses to Immigration. The good news with this is that there will always be employment for the large number of surly moon buggy drivers who love to yell at passengers for not loading themselves properly.
Actually, I think it was the TSA who vetoed a sterile train to immigration. IIRC they saw it as a security threat.

Right there with you about the surly moon buggy drivers. Mine today said "no one is going to immigration until you make more room." Nice welcome to the USA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.