Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
In other words, with the exception of the mobile lounges, the problem is Terminal C/D. Food and shopping choices aren't great but they're not horrible in Terminal B and Terminal B is blissfully uncarpeted. I hate airports with carpeting.
Exactly!

It wouldn't hurt to have something to DO if your flight is delayed, like movie theaters, a spa, or an art museum. Since we are dreaming and all.

No. United has already solved that problem for me. I fly international almost exclusively (and never on United), so I don't have to go to Terminal C/D.
I fly 90% international, and (I know I'm about to get yelled at) I actually miss the CO days when I was forced to connect in EWR or IAH.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 20, 2014 at 5:44 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
I fly 90% international, and (I know I'm about to get yelled at) I actually miss the CO days when I was forced to connect in EWR or IAH.
You must be kidding. Who LIKES to connect at EWR? What about when there is a drop of rain and things come to a halt?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
You must be kidding. Who LIKES to connect at EWR? What about when there is a drop of rain and things come to a halt?
I like some of their flights... UA 68/69 is perfect for traveling to Stockholm. It leave NYC around 5:00 pm and gets you into Stockholm first thing in the morning (about 7:30 am).

This is a great set up. It gets me to where I need to go and only kills one day of travel for me, vs. 2 if I have to connect through LHR, FRA or MUC.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
I loathe EWR, that was my point. IAD is so bad I am even starting to miss those CO connections I used to hate. Ah, the good old days of flying the crappy RJs into the god-awful Terminal A then having to take the bus so you don't get security screening again... not to mention the chirpy, sunny employees of EWR, always soft-spoken and ready with a smile.

Ok, snapping out of it.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA1K
Exactly!

It wouldn't hurt to have something to DO if your flight is delayed, like movie theaters, a spa, or an art museum. Since we are dreaming and all.
harry's tap room is good. but i think that's it. i prefer the LH lounge anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum.
Not too easy to get to from IAD without a car ... and they charge an arm/leg for parking! (Worse yet, the parking lot attendants were embezzling the payments for years...)

As I only never transit through IAD, as opposed to originating/ending there, I have fortunately seldom been stuck for more than an hour there. I agree that C/D are long overdue for replacement, but expect to be retired by the time that happens.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Exactly!

You want a movie theater at the airport?

As pointed out by exerda (though it might be a bit difficult to get there), there is a remarkable museum near the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Not too easy to get to from IAD without a car ... and they charge an arm/leg for parking! (Worse yet, the parking lot attendants were embezzling the payments for years...)
Bus from stop 2E. The frequency could be better (it's about every 40-45 minutes IIRC), but it's cheap (50 cents--ETA, no, they raised it to $1).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
its a cheap bus ride $1 that operates on a fairly reliable schedule.

a great way to spend a planned long layover !

They have a blackbird and the Enola Gay amongst other amazing craft.

Alas, Dayton has the most impressive collection.....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
You want a movie theater at the airport?

As pointed out by exerda (though it might be a bit difficult to get there), there is a remarkable museum near the airport.
I originate from IAD so for me it's not an option to go outside the airport because of a long layover. I was thinking more in terms of a flight being delayed for a couple of hours.

Of course, the Air & Space is a good (and only) option for transiting passengers on long layovers, with one caveat - to my knowledge there isn't a locker or baggage storage facility in Dulles, so if you're going to the museum you're taking that lovely carry-on with you.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I live in Kensington, and IAD is around a 45 minute drive if traffic cooperates. BWI is around the same (at least it was the last time I flew out of there, which was years ago). DCA is around 20-30 minutes, depending on the route we take.
I was a bit surprised by this and did a google maps directions from the Safeway in Kensington to IAD and DCA. DCA was 29 minutes, IAD was 30 minutes (in no traffic). In current traffic IAD was 41 minutes, and DCA was 54 minutes.

I am not suggesting that your experience was wrong, but rather, limited. Traffic needs to cooperate for DCA as well. My guess is from Kensington is that you could flip a coin as to which is going to be faster, although there might be a specific time of day (afternoon rush hour for example), where DCA would always be faster.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I was a bit surprised by this and did a google maps directions from the Safeway in Kensington to IAD and DCA. DCA was 29 minutes, IAD was 30 minutes (in no traffic).
Except there's always traffic.

In current traffic IAD was 41 minutes, and DCA was 54 minutes.
41 minutes to IAD is much closer to my experience. And it has never taken me anywhere near 54 minutes to get to DCA.

My guess is from Kensington is that you could flip a coin as to which is going to be faster, although there might be a specific time of day (afternoon rush hour for example), where DCA would always be faster.
DCA is ALWAYS faster for me, and always has been faster for me. And I've gone to and from both airports at multiple times of the day.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by paytonc
The issue he cited then was that MWAA has borrowed a lot to build things at IAD lately, like Concourse B and AirTrain, whereas DCA is relatively unencumbered by MWAA debt. (Is this just a roundabout way for Smisek to claim that AA DCA should pay for new UA IAD facilities? DCA's overhauled Terminal 2 is now 17 years old and has been mostly paid off, hence the recent moves to improve T1 and maybe add a new pier.) Smisek also cited the need to cut costs on the design, which isn't exactly encouraging. an appearance once the current capital construction program expires in 2016.
That's what I remember seeing here earlier from somebody who said he/she worked at MWAA--although, now that I think of it, he might have said that MWAA's balance sheet would clear after phase two of the Silver Line was done. In which case: Ugggghhhh.

I've made my peace with IAD C/D by spending as much time as possible in LH's lounge before a flight, then transferring over just in time to board. But I feel sorry for people who don't have that option and instead have to wait around in a crowded concourse that doesn't even have enough windows for the one guaranteed form of entertainment at an airport: looking at airplanes.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by exerda
It's going to take MWAA and UA committing to it, which probably won't happen for another 2-3 years. And then it will take 3-4 years for studies, plans, hearings, approvals, etc., before they even break ground.
Actually what it takes is UA agreeing to the increased PFC that would fund the new terminal. So far UA doesn't agree, and the PFC being collected doesn't cover the maintenance costs of the "temporary" facility that gets more and more expensive to keep running. So C/D will get worse and worse while the co emperors fiddle away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.