Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
7/12/2013 @ 1:16 AM ET - Post 1 - An tweet noticed by penner42 in regards to "a new rewards experience" coming to MileagePlus members. Direct link for tweet post is here and for Facebook is here.
7/12/2013 @ 2:33 PM ET - Post 179 - An update by UA Insider telling us to hang tight.
Hi everyone,

Wanted to jump in here and let you know that we are indeed looking ahead to an announcement about new reward opportunities for MileagePlus members—over and above what you’ve seen already this week. I’ll ask that you sit tight for the next few days, but rest assured you can expect full details from me the minute we go live. And while I know you’ll give us honest feedback (as always), I do believe this is something to look forward to :-).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Note: The Mercedes-Benz offer for Premier members is NOT related to this.
Print Wikipost

New rewards experience coming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Many of us are already ready to jump ship over the PDQ "enhancement," so maybe this latest annoucement will make the decision easier for some of us. Unforunately, Smisek and his team know that the US Airline market is an oligopoly now, so many of us don't have anywhere to run. With the recent approval of the US/AA merger, it is only going to get worse.

The end result of all these "enhancements" will be that I will just be flying less often. If flying is less enjoyable, I'll probably spend my cash elsewhere rather than racking up 100,000 miles annually on United every year. And if I do fly, it will probably be on international carriers where at least the in-flight experience is more enjoyable.

Last edited by amartin1979; Jul 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
I heard it was a latex gimp suit for 1k's. gag ball and everything. UA can tie us to the seat and beat us into submission.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I hope their marketing team is paying attention. It is extremely telling that as soon as one of these nebulous announcements comes out the assumption is almost uniformly that it's another "enhancement" for UA's bottom line at the expense of its customers.
The marketing team is appalling. Even today they tweeted the following.

"We're working to keep you connected across the globe with satellite Wi-Fi, now on 50+ aircraft, with more to come this year. #unitedprogress"

The marketing PR folks goal is to spin things to look good for customers. They manage to make the wifi installations look slow for no reason. Who not write

"We're working to keep you connected across the globe with satellite Wi-Fi, now adding wifi to over 30 aircraft per month. #unitedprogress"

To most customers, they see most airlines having it on almost all aircraft in the US. Just yesterday US Airways press release announced they had wifi on over 90% of the fleet, so 50 sounds small, and then the "more to come this year" makes it sound like they have stopped, but will add more later in the year"
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
I'm probably in the minority but I actually wouldn't mind fuel surcharges if it means keeping the award charts the same vs massive devaluation.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Preparing for pain.

But, if it is just a Mercedes ploy, and that's it. I will also say that I've overreacted . . . based on experience.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
if there were negative changes...and that's what it's looking like would they even take place immediately??
As I spent far too much time in front of the TV as a child, your question reminded me of this answer...

You might, rabbit, you might...
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So this thread is now at 171 posts, virtually all of them negative. An excellent marketing case study on how not to handle a program change.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:46 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Be afraid, be very very afraid
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jlivengo
I heard it was a latex gimp suit for 1k's. gag ball and everything. UA can tie us to the seat and beat us into submission.
Should be ashamed !

Last edited by im-headed-west; Jul 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
TPG seems to think the big announcement is the mercedes partnership..Hope that is the only change!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Apropos of nothing, united.com has some really interesting perspectives on its partners' schedules.

A FRA-BKK flight that according to the award search display is a 747 becomes an A340-600 on a reservation after ticketing (and is really an A346, according to the carrier's own inventory and seat map).

A HKG-BKK flight that according to the award search display is a 747 becomes an A380-800 on a reservation after ticketing (and is really a 747, according to the carrier's own inventory and seat map).
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by silver-tls
I'm probably in the minority but I actually wouldn't mind fuel surcharges if it means keeping the award charts the same vs massive devaluation.
Go take a browse at the AC board for a while. The surcharges are so large that they can often be half the cost of an economy ticket for a Y redemption, and as much as a full Y ticket for a C redemption. Fuel surcharges make the miles next to worthless. I'd take a modest devaluation over fuel surcharges.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:28 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by 787fan
let's be honest ... UA miles has been the most useful for quite sometime, so it's only realistic that they would want to bring it back to the level of their competitors
Keep in mind, "New Rewards Experience" is the tagline for whatever they have up their sleeve, increasing award levels is not a "New Rewards Experience". So it is highly unlikely a standard run of the mill 5-15% inflation of the award chart.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:33 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi everyone,

Wanted to jump in here and let you know that we are indeed looking ahead to an announcement about new reward opportunities for MileagePlus members—over and above what you’ve seen already this week. I’ll ask that you sit tight for the next few days, but rest assured you can expect full details from me the minute we go live. And while I know you’ll give us honest feedback (as always), I do believe this is something to look forward to :-).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
on flights that UAL serves with other *A flights, only redemption on UA. No more Premium cabin redemptions on other *A.

BUT saver awards will not increase by 1 seat per flight on UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.