Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
7/12/2013 @ 1:16 AM ET - Post 1 - An tweet noticed by penner42 in regards to "a new rewards experience" coming to MileagePlus members. Direct link for tweet post is here and for Facebook is here.
7/12/2013 @ 2:33 PM ET - Post 179 - An update by UA Insider telling us to hang tight.
Hi everyone,

Wanted to jump in here and let you know that we are indeed looking ahead to an announcement about new reward opportunities for MileagePlus members—over and above what you’ve seen already this week. I’ll ask that you sit tight for the next few days, but rest assured you can expect full details from me the minute we go live. And while I know you’ll give us honest feedback (as always), I do believe this is something to look forward to :-).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Note: The Mercedes-Benz offer for Premier members is NOT related to this.
Print Wikipost

New rewards experience coming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by Arcanum
In this situation, considering some sort of hedging/risk modification would be logical. If you get free award cancellation or are willing to eat the cancellation fee, it makes sense to book something now, particularly if you were considering a redemption anyways.
I you book several months in advance, there is bound to be a schedule change which often is enough to get the change/cancellation fee waived.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Why would UA per-announce MP program changes without giving any details? Especially since these are unlikely to be major positive changes?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
As we wait for more news, our experience since the merger is that announcements about how much we are going to like something have proved to be all hype and spin. While a few have actually liked the change, most of us have not.

The saddest thing for me is that United has somehow figured out how to make its potentially best and most loyal customers angry and cynical. These past 300+ posts write a very sad commentary.

This is a way to run a business?!?

Hopefully, it has finally dawned on United Management that they need to reverse this downward loyalty spiral. Maybe they will be inspired to do some thing with Mileage Plus that benefits all customers and the airline at the same time.

I know! I am naive, but I can hope, right?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:55 pm

Location: Primary: “Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle.”, Secondary: 88NV via RNO
Programs: Hilton Diamond*, UA ex-2P, Chase
New Reward opportunities? My bet is more magazine subscription options and more electronics you can buy at 200 miles/$ of MSRP!

Or some such change that will 0.000002% of members will like and the rest will ignore.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:00 am

My guess is a partnership with a hotel chain (mc maybe?) a la DL and Starwood.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777lover
That would be interesting - newUA does not seem to be interested in partnering with premium brands in related categories at all, unlike what AA/DL are doing (which IMO is quite smart).

Though there is this M-B thing...might just be a one-off gig.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I am predicting the new rewards will be off-peak travel for reduced mileage.
Originally Posted by sannmann
Is that really a new experience? United has offered reduced mileage awards for off-peak travel in the past.
UA has offered occasional mileage sales. Maybe they're planning to match the off-peak awards AA offers at 40K RT to Europe and South America? In the case of Europe, the off-peak season runs a full seven months every year.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be cool. It would be funny if we also have a hotel chain sending out teases... I am leaning toward Elite Choices type of thing to match AA.

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
This is a way to run a business?!?
Yes if you think your best customers are over-entitled

I think some here are really saying things out of frustration and don't honestly think whatever bad things they are predicting will happen.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 14, 2013 at 1:42 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I'm remembering way back, when they upped domestic r.t. 25% from 40K to 50K (that's what I spend my miles on). At the same time, they introduced the Saver awards. All the hype of the announcement was of course on how the Saver awards were cheaper than before!
Savers award was the original. It was introduced first, without the name "Savers". It was the only award. A couple years later they called the original award the Savers Award and introduced the Standard Award, and made Savers more restrictive (through capacity control). The evolution was actually led by American Airlines AAdvantage Program.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:46 am

I had originally thought it might be a miles plus dollars award option but the hotel partnership makes more sense. If so, I'm hoping it's Hyatt.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: AADULtArer
The saddest thing for me is that United has somehow figured out how to make its potentially best and most loyal customers angry and cynical. These past 300+ posts write a very sad commentary.
UAs best customers aren't on FT, and they know that.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
If you were running a hotel rewards program right now, would you partner with this airline?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
If you were running a hotel rewards program right now, would you partner with this airline?
Because, until the US/AA merger goes down, UA is the largest airline in the world. Having access to that customer data is likely very valuable.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Hilton might. Considering the complaints in the Hilton forum, they would make a great United partner.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Except Hilton is tied to AMEX, which is tied to DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.