Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
7/12/2013 @ 1:16 AM ET - Post 1 - An tweet noticed by penner42 in regards to "a new rewards experience" coming to MileagePlus members. Direct link for tweet post is here and for Facebook is here.
7/12/2013 @ 2:33 PM ET - Post 179 - An update by UA Insider telling us to hang tight.
Hi everyone,

Wanted to jump in here and let you know that we are indeed looking ahead to an announcement about new reward opportunities for MileagePlus members—over and above what you’ve seen already this week. I’ll ask that you sit tight for the next few days, but rest assured you can expect full details from me the minute we go live. And while I know you’ll give us honest feedback (as always), I do believe this is something to look forward to :-).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Note: The Mercedes-Benz offer for Premier members is NOT related to this.
Print Wikipost

New rewards experience coming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, so much speculation in this thread (most of it bad) with absolutely zero facts to base any of it on. People dumping miles because they think they will be devalued. Panic in the streets based on nothing. Wait and see. No, don't get me wrong, I have no good feelings or expectations about what the announcement might actually be base on the amount of bad news we have received since the merger. But I am not going to dump my miles or make unfounded speculations. Feels like chicken little around here.
I don't know if Jeff has any kids but he may want to ask them how Twitter operates and the instant gratification / consternation that exists from Twitter. This is what happens when a multi-billionaire dollar corporation doesn't employ anyone from my generation / age bracket yet thinks they understand social media #epicfail #welcometothe21stcenturyUnited
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
As one who had an S500 and now a brand spanking new S550 4-matic...a boat it is not.
Thank you for defending the honor of Mercedes.

My old W210 E55 AMG would have also begged to differ
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by penner42
Agreed. I don't understand why they don't do this for all taxes and fees. Let us use miles at 1c/mile for that. So for a regular domestic roundtrip 25k + $5, let use just do 25,500 if we want instead. Good deal for them due to the bad redemption value, but allows people to truly get flights for free.
It would kind of fall apart internationally. Imagine 30,000 miles plus $600 for a one way transpac upgrade becoming 30,000 miles plus 60,000 miles...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
The new experience is not going to match the hype.

It isn't bad though.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by zrs70
I have a feeling it will be a puff of smoke.
I stand by what I said pages ago.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Is it just me or was this an epic public relations failure? If you preannounce something, and delay to build anticipation, doesn't United want the anticipatory chatter to bring positive attention? Last week's tweet has brought mostly 95% negative attention...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Is it just me or was this an epic public relations failure? If you preannounce something, and delay to build anticipation, doesn't United want the anticipatory chatter to bring positive attention? Last week's tweet has brought mostly 95% negative attention...
I think the only way they could have remedied that would be some sort of "hint" - to reassure people it is indeed something positive and point them in the right direction. Too late for that now, however.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
United clearly taking public relations lessons at the Orson Welles School of Unwarranted Public Hysteria (OWSUPH).
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
So there's still no word?

So in checking out redemption options, I noticed the Chase statement credit for United tickets mileage redemption option. Has anyone used that option before? Is is one cent per dollar redemption?

Last edited by lensman; Jul 13, 2013 at 10:32 am Reason: fixed punctuation;clarified first question
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, so much speculation in this thread (most of it bad) with absolutely zero facts to base any of it on. People dumping miles because they think they will be devalued. Panic in the streets based on nothing. Wait and see. No, don't get me wrong, I have no good feelings or expectations about what the announcement might actually be base on the amount of bad news we have received since the merger. But I am not going to dump my miles or make unfounded speculations. Feels like chicken little around here.
Your logic is severely flawed by claiming 'wait and see'. Imagine, if you can, that they announce an IMMEDIATE shift to a revenue based 'reward' system where miles are worth 1 cent. You wanted to fly TG F? Too bad for you. Now consider that many (most?) of the folks on the UA board or Plat or 1K -- they get to make unlimited award cancellations. Booking an award right now is like 'buying' an option, except you are 'buying' it at ZERO cost.

So, please, do explain to me why your 'wait and see' approach is best? Perhaps I could recommend a course on options theory.

And with the Hou Crew, COdbaUA, whatever you want to call them -- when was the last time that 'wait and see' worked out in our favor? These guys are just reaping what they've sowed for the past 15 months (or maybe longer, from the CO perspective.)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
United still has a billboard mentality.

Put up a billboard with a vague message. Try to place it in an area where traffic slows, so commuters will actually see and read it.

Wait a week. Put up another slightly less vague message. Now we are really building the suspense!

Wait another week. Put up a message with some actual details. The excitement mounts!

Another week passes. New billboard with the unveiled actual marketing message. Everyone stands around an actual water cooler talking about the reveal.

Oh wait, we are not living in an episode of Mad Men...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by lensman
So in checking out redemption options, I noticed the Chase statement credit for United tickets mileage redemption option. Has anyone used that option before? Is is one cent per dollar redemption?
This is the link: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...er/Choices.jsp

It would not be surprising if the new rewards experience coming has something to do with Chase.

SunLover
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:23 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by SunLover
This is the link: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...er/Choices.jsp

It would not be surprising if the new rewards experience coming has something to do with Chase.

SunLover
Bingo. I just went to the site, input my MP# and PW and got the following:
Vulcan
MileagePlus Number:
ACXXXXXXX
Award miles balance:
Choices program
balance:*
Choices Program activity

*Miles earned with the MileagePlus credit card are available for redemption in the MileagePlus Choices program. Your program balance includes any miles earned on your MileagePlus credit card that have not already been redeemed.

Futher playing indicates the 131,292 can be used to offset $1,312. Where did the 131,292 come from???????
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Vulcan
MileagePlus Number:
ACXXXXXXX
Award miles balance:
Choices program
Choices Program activity

*Miles earned with the MileagePlus credit card are available for redemption in the MileagePlus Choices program. Your program balance includes any miles earned on your MileagePlus credit card that have not already been redeemed.

Futher playing indicates the 131,292 can be used to offset $1,312. Where did the 131,292 come from???????

Award miles accrued with your MileagePlus credit card will continue to be reflected in your award miles balance. In addition to the redemption opportunities available to MileagePlus members, MileagePlus Choices offers redemption opportunities that are exclusive to Cardmembers. Any MileagePlus Choices program redemption activity using award miles will result in a reduction of your MileagePlus award miles balance. You cannot have a greater Choices program balance than your MileagePlus award miles balance.
This is my understanding -- basically if you have 50000 miles and 50000 choice points and spend 25000 on an award ticket, you will have 25000 miles and 25000 choices points. If you fly 25000 miles and gain that back, you result will be 50000 miles and 25000 choices points. Basically you lost 25000 choices points because your RDM account balance dipped.

The points themselves are earned via the CC (every mile earned via CC = every choice point you get)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Vulcan
MileagePlus Number:
ACXXXXXXX
Award miles balance:
Choices program
Choices Program activity

This is not a new program, but a long standing option for United cardholders. I mention that only to try to minimize speculation that "this is the new reward!!!"

132,292 is the number of miles earned from your credit card (including all bonuses and spend), as only credit card miles are eligible for the "choices" program. The one thing I am not sure of is how they deduct miles when you complete a "normal" (non-choices) award redemption. FIFO would make sense, but I suspect that is more complex than they are capable of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.