Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help your United agents who help you (Outsourcing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: These views are my own and do not represent the views of United Airlines

Ladies, and Gentleman. We need your help. United Airlines management is now in the process of laying off United Airlines workers, and plan to outsource to the cheapest bidder. These are our people. They have started with 6 stations, but I am sure they have plans for more. What is to stop them from outsourcing every CSR and Ramp worker? They need to be stopped. Please start by joining our group for more information on how to help. You don't need to be retired, or active, or even work for United. You just need to want to help our workers keep their jobs. It is the right thing to do. Please share with your friends.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top...union-workers/

https://www.change.org/petitions/ual...ited-employees

Last edited by cdayind; Jul 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Some prior discussion about UA outsourcing initiatives at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-goodluck.html
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
As an entrepreneur, I certainly wouldn't count myself among the supporters of unions in general, but this move by UA seems like a low blow to the employees involved. Not to mention the likely negative impact on customers!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by cdayind
Ladies, and Gentleman. We need your help. United Airlines management is now in the process of laying off United Airlines workers, and plan to outsource to the cheapest bidder. These are our people. They have started with 6 stations, but I am sure they have plans for more. What is to stop them from outsourcing every CSR and Ramp worker? They need to be stopped. Please start by joining our group for more information on how to help. You don't need to be retired, or active, or even work for United. You just need to want to help our workers keep their jobs. It is the right thing to do. Please share with your friends.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top...union-workers/

https://www.change.org/petitions/ual...ited-employees
Are they targeting PMUA "co-workers" for termination or are they doing this equally to PMUA and PMCO "co-workers"?

As an aside, if "co-workers" are being fired to their jobs can be outsourced to the lowest bidder, then are they really "co-workers"?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: These views are my own and do not represent the views of United Airlines
They are all PMUA stations not a CO one in the group!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA G
They are all PMUA stations not a CO one in the group!
How is this a "PMUA station"? PMCO served ROC from EWR and CLE whereas PMUA served it from ORD and IAD.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Are they targeting PMUA "co-workers" for termination or are they doing this equally to PMUA and PMCO "co-workers"?

As an aside, if "co-workers" are being fired to their jobs can be outsourced to the lowest bidder, then are they really "co-workers"?
Does it matter, or are you just trying to cause trouble?

There have been furloughs and job cuts on both sides -- most notably the legacy Continental Cargo staff.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
And if anyone says they are "surprised that good old Jeff" would do this ( and this is just the beginning) then they live in a hole in the earth. He has gotten rid of many Elites, now employees and there is a lot more to come for both groups.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:46 pm

I just noticed that OP is from Ohio, so I'm guessing (s)he works at CVG, since that's the one listed in the IAM letter.

CVG was served by PMUA from ORD, DEN, and IAD. PMCO served it EWR and IAH.

It's hard to call this a "PMUA station."
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

We are all the same, I would be just as upset if these were PM-CO stations! CO cargo was a horrible thing, I don't want anyone to go through that, I have done it once and I wasn't sure i could take it. Now its PM-UA airports. Yes those stations has CO service but they were already operated by a outside vendor they were not mainline CO agents.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:54 pm

We are all the same, I would be just as upset if these were PM-CO stations! CO cargo was a horrible thing, I don't want anyone to go through that, I have done it once and I wasn't sure i could take it. Now its PM-UA airports. Yes those stations has CO service but they were already operated by a outside vendor they were not mainline CO agents.
Does CVG even have mainline service anymore? If not, I'd call that a "small station" and would not be surprised if they outsourced local agents, too.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:56 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Some prior discussion about UA outsourcing initiatives at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-goodluck.html
Still lurking!!!

Sorry to hear about this. It's the way the industry is trending these days.

So glad I'm Mainline in a growing company now!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
So glad I'm Mainline in a growing company now!
The delta between winners and losers will continue to grow.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I can definitely see this happening at airports with most/all service provided by non-mainline contract carriers.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:25 pm
Suspended

I have very mixed feelings. I'd be curious though from a customer standpoint, can you outline the negative impacts? It's not clear to me...will it be like calling the ICC when walking up to the counter? Or what will the implications be?

I assume Jeffy's just going the cheapest route. If outsourced is cheaper, it seems to make sense he'd pick that over what he has in place. This surely can't be a surprise to anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.