Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-IAD red eye: worth upgrading to F?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a crowded and almost always oversold flight. F is a haven. It's nothing special, but it's quiet and comfortable.

If you fly domestic F for the food, you are crazy, but this is a 10:40 PM departure so it shouldn't matter.

As others note, I would definitely call UA to determine what the upfare to the cheapest FC seat might be and consider that. If not, 10K miles is well worth it.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:07 am

I would do it without thinking twice, and clap my hands in joy as soon as I had a confirmed seat in F. I'm tall and have both creaky knees and a creaky back, so upgrades from E to F on redeyes from SEA / SFO / LAX / LAS to IAD are probably how I've used most of my miles over the years, just to get the wider seat and extra recline.

For the poster complaining about the food, I don't think I've ever touched a plate on one of these flights; the moment I'm on board it's blanket on under seat belt, light mask on, head against the wall (I always try to get a window), and seat recline the moment I feel us start to accelerate for takeoff (if I'm still awake at that point). The extra 45 minutes to hour of sleep beats a midnight snack any day.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
If you have to go to work the next day I would certainly go the upgrade route. If not it depends on your tolerance, and your ability to get decent rest in Y. Sometimes the transcon red-eyes can only be ~4 hours if there is a good tail wind pushing the plane.

The food will likely be better (but not free) in Y with the BOB options.

SunLover
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Take it. Even if food/beverage service is minimal, the extra room for sleeping is worth it.

I'll be on that flight next month and expect to be asleep before wheels up.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I thought a Y was an auto upgrade for GMs too...
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
If you intend to sleep, and you, like me, tend to use a sleeping aid like Ambien on Redeyes, E+ is just fine, but be sure to get a window seat so you won't be disturbed by a seat mate going to the blue room. IMHO anything other than a complimentary UG is a waste if you are going to sleep with the help of a sleeping aid. Plus, SEA-IAD is perfect timing for Ambien
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I thought a Y was an auto upgrade for GMs too...
Nope, Y/B for elites, M for 1K and GS.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I'm over 60 and over 6 feet tall.

If you cant travel for < 6 hours without being uncomfortable in E+ you aren't caring for your body. First is great for sleeping but I won't pay (miles, GPUs) for it, even when the client has...I would rather spend the price delta on something tangible.

Transpacific is a different, but transcontinental, care for the machine!!

Make sure you get a good night sleep the night before the Redeye flight, too
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
10,000 miles seems reasonable. I'd do it.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by hoopics
The extra 45 minutes to hour of sleep beats a midnight snack any day.
I totally agree with this. It sounds like your priority is better sleep/rest and if you stay awake for that food, you will wish you hadn't. Of course, i would always prefer to eat elsewhere, even the airport terminal, over food served on an domestic airplane any time of day. Eat something elsewhere and be ready to catch as many Z's as you can after getting on board the plane.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
I don't think anyone has mentioned that your mileage balance may have an effect on your decision. For me, with 350k of miles, this would not even be a consideration as I sleep much better in F than in Y. You will have to decide for yourself based on your mileage balance
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I'm over 60 and over 6 feet tall.

If you cant travel for < 6 hours without being uncomfortable in E+ you aren't caring for your body.
I totally disagree with this statement. I'm a sub three hour marathoner, and run 30-60 miles a week. Being squeezed into E (including E+) for more than two hours does terrible things to my hamstrings. After the last Boston Marathon, I took Acela to NY just so I could fly back to SFO on the ps lieflat.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:13 pm

If OP is asking this question, OP must not have many miles available for use since the answer seems very easy.

As for food in F, last week I flew F tcon after a canceled flight. I went up to GA and requested a food voucher prior to the departure. She replied that food was being served. I asked her if she ever flew in F? She gave me the voucher!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:17 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

I've done the transcon from SEA and PDX to EWR and IAD. 737-900 isn't that bad at all if you can get 21C or 21D, our favorite seats. 20C and 20D are also exit row, but don't always recline. If you like leaning your head against the window, then choose 21A or 21F. Lots of leg-room.

As others have noted, not all 737-800 or 737-900 have E+, so check aircraft status online, to see if E+ is actually offered.

I frequently get the F CPU on the red-eye, or use the regional upgrades. I've not used the miles to upgrade, as I think they are better used for award tickets.

Meals: don't get your hopes up. Comfort? Same comfort level for me if exit row or F.

Yep, able to sleep on the plane without issues, as long as I have an aisle seat.

If I can't book the non-stop transcon, I typically connect via Houston to avoid ORD and DEN congestion. Just off a transcon via Houston today; E+ exit a few days ago, and CPU F today. Life is sweet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.