Wiki Posts
Search

Predicting the buy-up to F offer?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Predicting the buy-up to F offer?

For an upcoming trip, the lowest economy fare (U) is $662 R/T. The (P) fare is $802.

My co. will allow me to pay the difference to sit in F, but the travel must be purchased from within the co. travel system, etc., and the paperwork to document the airfare difference, etc. is inconvenient. It would be easier just to buy the upgrade myself on united.com after the ticket is purchased. But if I purchase the (U) fare, will the upgrade-to-first option online be $140 (representing the current difference between U and P)?

Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mwc8962
For an upcoming trip, the lowest economy fare (U) is $662 R/T. The (P) fare is $802.

My co. will allow me to pay the difference to sit in F, but the travel must be purchased from within the co. travel system, etc., and the paperwork to document the airfare difference, etc. is inconvenient. It would be easier just to buy the upgrade myself on united.com after the ticket is purchased. But if I purchase the (U) fare, will the upgrade-to-first option online be $140 (representing the current difference between U and P)?
most likely yes. you could always buy the ticket, wait for it to go through, check the offer and if it isn't acceptable, cancel the ticket within 24hr for a full refund.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mwc8962

All sorts of shenanigans here. I bought the cheapest available fare for my trip - $600 one-way Q fare - last night, was offered a buy up to first for $79 after purchase - didn't take it so that I'd get the appropriate receipt for my expenses, and because I figured I'd buy-up as soon as I got the ticketing confirmation. Checked the buy-up price within seconds of getting the email - $870

No matter, I imagine my CPU will clear anyway, but I'd have paid $79 for the certainty.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottish_colin
All sorts of shenanigans here. I bought the cheapest available fare for my trip - $600 one-way Q fare - last night, was offered a buy up to first for $79 after purchase - didn't take it so that I'd get the appropriate receipt for my expenses, and because I figured I'd buy-up as soon as I got the ticketing confirmation. Checked the buy-up price within seconds of getting the email - $870

No matter, I imagine my CPU will clear anyway, but I'd have paid $79 for the certainty.
You may want to check the cost of the M fare in that market which might have been $79 more. Maybe. That would be rare.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
OP here - just following up to confirm that the u/g offer was equal to the pre-purchase difference. (As I had hoped but in [partial] contrast to scottish_colin's experience.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.