Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I am not your Mom!" Wow!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
I have gotten the lecture about saying "please" in the past too. From an ex-CO crew, unsurprisingly.

Usually I am quite polite but there are times when I am tired, distracted, etc and forget to say please. In which case the role of the FA is to be professional and do their job. Lecturing customers on manners is totally uncalled for.

FA's should direct such lectures to their colleagues, many of whom could benefit from such training.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
Was the tube oversized? Were the over-head bins full? In that case, the FA's comment may have been over-the-top. If not, you come across as not knowing how to stow your carry-on. More and more UA a/c don't have closets which means such requests really annoy the FA's...not your problem per se but that's the context. I would also refrain from using 'madam' in addressing people. Ma'am is OK particularly if you pull it off with some southern drawl.
None of that stuff excuses smart mouthing a passenger.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, OZ Diamond, CX Silver
The FA could have responded differently, even when she had a really bad day at home, or she couldn't have helped him. That's pretty embarrassing!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 2K/2MM
Reminds me of a flight I was on about six months ago. Evening flight - sitting up front with Mrs. blokay - no meals being served - and I was starving. Asked the FA if I could get one of those snack boxes they were selling in the back - she said "I don't work in coach". I said I understood - but could I still get one? She said "well, it won't be free" - in a voice that was snippy enough to send me over the edge. I said "look sweetheart, I don's give a crap where you don't work or how much it costs, but can you please get find a way to get me a snack box". Mrs. blokay was shocked - because I don't trip off the line too often. I have never called an FA sweetheart - or used the word crap to one - but I had had enough that day. Most FA's are pretty good - but every now and then one can meet a real piece of work.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:21 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by blokay
Reminds me of a flight I was on about six months ago. Evening flight - sitting up front with Mrs. blokay - no meals being served - and I was starving. Asked the FA if I could get one of those snack boxes they were selling in the back - she said "I don't work in coach". I said I understood - but could I still get one? She said "well, it won't be free" - in a voice that was snippy enough to send me over the edge. I said "look sweetheart, I don's give a crap where you don't work or how much it costs, but can you please get find a way to get me a snack box". Mrs. blokay was shocked - because I don't trip off the line too often. I have never called an FA sweetheart - or used the word crap to one - but I had had enough that day. Most FA's are pretty good - but every now and then one can meet a real piece of work.
Strange, I've requested snack boxes from the back many times and for some reason they always give it to me for free, even though I tell them I'm more than willing to pay (I get reimbursed from AMEX anyways).

To stay on topic, two years ago I was doing the non-stop EWR-HNL so often I got to know the crew and one of the older FAs sorta adopted me, gave me two bailey's for the sundae, always asked me if I need something else to drink, slipped me an extra cookie, etc. She was great. Sadly I no longer see her on the EWR-HNL.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jpezaris
Poster tubes are standard fare for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows to take their presentations to scientific conferences. All airlines are familiar with them, and they are nominally taken as carry-on luggage. They fit just fine in overhead bins (maybe not on the smaller CRJs, I don't exactly recall), but are small enough to fit in nearly any closet. The OP is correct that they can interfere with multiple other passengers' use of the overhead bins due to their length, and for the sake of not hogging space, are best put in a closet on a full flight.

In my field alone (neuroscience), there are tens of thousands of presentations annually, each of which has a poster, most of which are carried on. Over all fields of science, there must be a million posters transported annual (but that's a WAG). I'd assume that any FA that isn't familiar with posters must be new.

So, why the comment about not being the OP's mother? I don't care how bad a day the FA was having, or how young and helpless the OP looked, such comments are not appropriate for a professional in customer service.
Second this. Next time, I will probably fedex my poster tube to the venue.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mediator
"I'm old enough to take care of myself, madam". I replied.
Should have called her "Grandma."
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Honestly, the only answer in that situation would be "Of course you're not my Mom, my Mom is much younger than you".
Or, "I know, she died around 15 years ago."

That will likely get a rather quick change of demeanor.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
Or, "I know, she died around 15 years ago."

That will likely get a rather quick change of demeanor.
After today's announcement about the new uniforms, maybe the response could be "I know. My mom attires herself much better."
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Originally Posted by bsb21
I once asked an FA for a tea and she said "Please?". I was pretty pissed.
You were embarrassed because you forgot your manners.

She's your host, not your servant. Say please.
Sorry to say, but I dont agree. I got up and walked up back the galley, not wanting to use the call button. You can be perfectly polite without using the word "please".

I think I said something like "Would you mind making me a cup of tea, when you get a chance?".

If I wanted to be rude, I would have pumped the call button.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bsb21
Sorry to say, but I dont agree. I got up and walked up back the galley, not wanting to use the call button. You can be perfectly polite without using the word "please".

I think I said something like "Would you mind making me a cup of tea, when you get a chance?".

If I wanted to be rude, I would have pumped the call button.
IMHO, what you did and said is more polite than 'please'.

I have witnessed people get chewed out for not saying 'please' to service professionals in other fields, even when they've been very polite. It's as if some people got the "always say please" lesson as children, but only understood it at a surface level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.