Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
My 1k stuff is always a month late to arrive in Syd
Otherwise... not had any major drawbacks
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I have lived in Costa Rica for over 7 years, and I always used my Texas business address until this change. I also never failed to receive my Premier cards on time.

This year, they have mailed my 1K card 4 times. They have "temporarily" switched my address back to TX each time to insure that it is being sent to that address, but I have yet to receive it. I gave up after the last attempt.

It has only been a problem for me a couple of times when flying on Lifemiles award tickets, and wanting to board with *Gold. They almost always accept my old card and an explanation, but a couple of times....

Since my UC card is tied to Chase, they say that it will be sent to the TX address where the card is billed. I hope so. It expires tomorrow. I won't be in TX until September 14th, and I have yet to receive notice from the people who handle my mail that it has arrived.

I have been told that mail can be delivered in CR, but I have never received any. We don't have addresses. We have "directions." Mine would take up a paragraph. Far more than the space permitted on the UA web site.

Fortunately, I'm moving to Medellin, Colombia in October. Colombia has real addresses and mail service. It's a much different place than the mental picture I had prior to beginning to investigate the move. I laughed when it was suggested. Now I'm laughing at myself for laughing at Colombia!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu

It has only been a problem for me a couple of times when flying on Lifemiles award tickets, and wanting to board with *Gold.
Why do you need a physical card when you can show electronic card on mobile app? Unless the airports you frequent are not in the mobile age yet but I have had no problems getting into lounges with mobile card
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ani90
Why do you need a physical card when you can show electronic card on mobile app? Unless the airports you frequent are not in the mobile age yet but I have had no problems getting into lounges with mobile card
Often in Latin America, the airports' "free" Wi-Fi is all but impossible to connect to. That has been the case when I have been unable to pull that up.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: *
Often in Latin America, the airports' "free" Wi-Fi is all but impossible to connect to. That has been the case when I have been unable to pull that up.
Many US airports don't have that either. You don't need wifi to access the mobile app - unless you do not have roaming ability on your phone
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UAConcorde
some reported the fares will quote in the currency of the primary address. I'm waiting for a confirmation. Anyone?

Also, watch for account audit.... Im holding off changing address for now.
Fares will quote in the country you set your site to. Ive used BOTH my Dubai and US address in the past. The PQD does not matter to me so this year I went back to my US address hoping I would get a few targeted promotions........no such luck so switching back to my Dubai address. I have plenty of proof thats my actual address in case UA questions it but I can't see why they would bother questioning people who use overseas addresses and still make the 10K min spend
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:46 am

I have lived in Costa Rica for over 7 years, and I always used my Texas business address until this change. I also never failed to receive my Premier cards on time.

This year, they have mailed my 1K card 4 times. They have "temporarily" switched my address back to TX each time to insure that it is being sent to that address, but I have yet to receive it. I gave up after the last attempt.

It has only been a problem for me a couple of times when flying on Lifemiles award tickets, and wanting to board with *Gold. They almost always accept my old card and an explanation, but a couple of times....

Since my UC card is tied to Chase, they say that it will be sent to the TX address where the card is billed. I hope so. It expires tomorrow. I won't be in TX until September 14th, and I have yet to receive notice from the people who handle my mail that it has arrived.

I have been told that mail can be delivered in CR, but I have never received any. We don't have addresses. We have "directions." Mine would take up a paragraph. Far more than the space permitted on the UA web site.

Fortunately, I'm moving to Medellin, Colombia in October. Colombia has real addresses and mail service. It's a much different place than the mental picture I had prior to beginning to investigate the move. I laughed when it was suggested. Now I'm laughing at myself for laughing at Colombia!
I think foreign mail formats are a problem with some departments within MileagePlus in that they don't recognize that there are mail formats different than the US's.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Fares will quote in the country you set your site to.
But if you use a card with a billing address in a different country, United will switch to that country. This is a very recent change, because I used to (as of a couple of months ago) be able to use either a U.S. or Canadian card without getting the fare requoted, but have had this happen consistenly since mid-August.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Because most credit card companies have fraud rules that differentiate significantly between "card shown" and "card not shown", and the definition of such is the physical card.

So it is very possible that an airline can incure a higher risk by simply failing to see the actual physical card.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Because most credit card companies have fraud rules that differentiate significantly between "card shown" and "card not shown", and the definition of such is the physical card.

So it is very possible that an airline can incure a higher risk by simply failing to see the actual physical card.
+1 - my company does a significant business online and this is major issue as we take orders from all over the world (we are a UK based company). Not to excuse UA from the original issue but computer programmers only do what they are told....
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:40 pm

Many US airports don't have that either. You don't need wifi to access the mobile app - unless you do not have roaming ability on your phone
Or unless you live in Costa Rica where your access to the internet may or may not work via your iPhone even though you have such service.

Or unless you have a non-resident sim card in Colombia and are unwilling to pay for internet service to be added for 30 days at a time when you are only there for 7.

Or unless you don't want to pay more for roaming internationally than boarding with *G is worth.

That is my situation. All of the above. I'm not sure that it will be fixed when I move to MDE, as the airport is in a pretty rural location. While cell service in the city is great, it is not so great out at the airport. At least that's my experience with Claro, and I'm using an iPhone 5s with 4G service.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:06 pm

Or unless you live in Costa Rica where your access to the internet may or may not work via your iPhone even though you have such service.

Or unless you have a non-resident sim card in Colombia and are unwilling to pay for internet service to be added for 30 days at a time when you are only there for 7.

Or unless you don't want to pay more for roaming internationally than boarding with *G is worth.

That is my situation. All of the above. I'm not sure that it will be fixed when I move to MDE, as the airport is in a pretty rural location. While cell service in the city is great, it is not so great out at the airport. At least that's my experience with Claro, and I'm using an iPhone 5s with 4G service.
I don't think you need data service at all. I routinely turn my iphone in airplane mode and can still pull up my MP card on the app.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But if you use a card with a billing address in a different country, United will switch to that country. This is a very recent change, because I used to (as of a couple of months ago) be able to use either a U.S. or Canadian card without getting the fare requoted, but have had this happen consistenly since mid-August.
Strange - does not happen to me using my Dubai or Abu Dhabi based cards buying on the UA site
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA premier gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Does this mean that the fare quote will be in the billing country's currency and not in flight originating country's currency? Currently I am based in Japan but still bill using my US based Explorer card for the miles.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:54 pm

Late to the party

We are living in Germany (with all documentation that UA could ever ask for thanks to German government paperwork). DH realized that all of the transatlantic tickets have not been counting towards PQD since they are purchased through the company travel agency. UA said "We won't worry about it until you reach Gold... " well that day has come. He has 50,000 miles and 4 UA segments. Can he retroactively get credit for all flights in 2014 if he changes his address to our home here in Germany or is he out of luck? Any reason not to try to change the address if he is going to discuss with UA the travel agency part of the mess?

Last edited by forgiveomatic; Sep 8, 2014 at 11:12 pm Reason: adding details

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.