Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by amolkold
A better airline would give warning and advance notice.
True statement. Not many of those around these days.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A better airline would give warning and advance notice.
But the change only applies to new award tickets, not existing award reservations.

I suspect UA didn't give advance notice because they didn't want nonelites (churners) advance booking a gazillion awards as "placeholders" under the existing rules. And this seems totally 100% reasonable to me. In fact, it seems to me that the way this was handled benefits elites because it prevents nonelites from tying up award space in order to take advantage of the old rules.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:49 pm

I've been planning to book a big trip in the next month and likely have to make a change so I'm glad I saw this. I'll just hold and try to do it all at once.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
So here's a theory. UA wants to improve the experience of the their HVFs. So

1. They thin the ranks with the PQD requirement to free up more upgrade space.

2. They make it harder no Gold/Silver/Brass Kettles to use Award miles so there are more seats available for Plat/1k/GS.

3. Next they announce a whole bunch of new benefits and enhancements for 1k and GS.

Probably kidding my self, but IIRC, JSMI has made numerous comments about how surprised they were by the loss of HVF.s
Well, I'm pretty sure you're 2/3 right.

what does this change do? make it very difficult for GM's to refund their miles (which they already have difficulty redeeming). For a domestic leisure ticket (the kind most used by GM's), you're talking a $200-250 ticket value on 25k miles in the first place. I get that they're probably 'aligning' it with their revenue ticket $200 change fee ripoff. But like that, this change will probably result in a lot of uncancelled tickets. Look for that no-show rate to skyrocket, United.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by villox
I would venture to say that most non-elites don't even realize that they can change their award travel dates for free if they keep the cities the same. Again, just a guess, but this is more likely to affect people who were holding inventory as placeholders because they didn't know for sure when they would be able to travel and thus were taking advantage of this benefit.

Frankly I'm not sure why this wasn't done sooner.
If it were only done to discourage place holding, then a modest $25 or $50 fee would be reasonable. I think the problem here isn't the fee, but the magnitude of the fee. I wouldn't be upset at all if they set a $25 fee for changes outside 21 days and left the close-in fee the same. That would adequately address the problem of "placeholders" without upsetting so many people. Either that, or make the fee per reservation, rather than per ticket. That way, a family of four isn't stuck with $300 in change fees if something comes up.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 5khours
So here's a theory. UA wants to improve the experience of the their HVFs. So

1. They thin the ranks with the PQD requirement to free up more upgrade space.

2. They make it harder no Gold/Silver/Brass Kettles to use Award miles so there are more seats available for Plat/1k/GS.

3. Next they announce a whole bunch of new benefits and enhancements for 1k and GS.

Probably kidding my self, but IIRC, JSMI has made numerous comments about how surprised they were by the loss of HVF.s

I don't like it, but it's basically making award tickets roughly comparable to non-refundable tickets.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jackthedog
I've been planning to book a big trip in the next month and likely have to make a change so I'm glad I saw this. I'll just hold and try to do it all at once.
BINGO! Instead of grabbing awards you might use, you're gonna grab awards you're more likely to use. For people looking to book awards, the net should be positive since people will be hesitant to provisionally remove inventory.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
BINGO! Instead of grabbing awards you might use, you're gonna grab awards you're more likely to use. For people looking to book awards, the net should be positive since people will be hesitant to provisionally remove inventory.
Both of the recent changes are positive IF you are Platinum or higher AND you have no problem meeting the new spend thresholds.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I alluded to this earlier, as the net impact to award inventory may be positive. However, I would be curious to see a breakdown of what percentage of awards are booked by elites vs. non-elites. Theoretically, non-elites have far fewer miles and thus book far fewer awards. The impact to award availability may be that it becomes essentially reserved for elites, since non-elites will hesitate to speculatively book until it is to late, while elites proactively snatch up all of those seats, even if they don't need them.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
And United, you better not spin this as a benefit of elites. Charging more for non-elites does not benefit elite.
Probably will. After all, 1st checked bag was once free for everyone, now that's an "elite benefit". In fact one of the few "benefits" for Silvers now.

UA would promise not to pee in your shoes, and call that a benefit.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
What fees will be increased next? UA will be the first airlines on doing all possible nickle-dime policies. Will anyone dare to predict what will come next?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Well there is another thread about UA implementing special yellow tags on gate checked bags for GS/1K.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA
You know that message that the flight attendant broadcasts after the plane takes off?

"We welcome our MileagePlus members who will be earning valuable miles on today's flight."

I've always found myself scoffing in my head when they said this. Next time, I might scoff out loud.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
I'm afraid to fall asleep tonight .... and wake up tomorrow morning with an announcement again.

UA announces that GPU's applies to only Y/B/M tomorrow?
That would mirror Delta's SWU's! Hope we aren't jinxed now!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by 84fiero

i think that they already have! That has got to be the funniest thing I've read today! props!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.