Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Makes it unattractive to sign up one's family for UA, better choices are

Aegean - *Gold after 20k miles
Avianca - Great redemptions with a $50 cancellation fee
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi amolkold,

Looks like you beat me to this by just a few minutes. I've also posted a link to the updated united.com page in the existing thread about award ticket change/cancellation fees.

You are correct in that Premier members are not impacted by this change. I also wanted to add that these changes are only applicable for tickets issued on or after today, June 19.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Speaking as a 1K with kids (who are not premiers) who fly between 15 and 20K miles per year, I hate this change.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the writing is on the wall people. the beginning of the end is upon us. if you are sitting on a large pile of miles (elite or not) it is time to start working your balance down while the getting is still good.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
A big move (PQD announcement with advance notice) hides a smaller move (this change). Way to try to sneak that one under the radar, UA.

I agree with the 5 PM before a weekend comment, this makes such announcements look like a generous courtesy.

A terrible 24 hours for UA flyers.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Wow. This former 1K, now Plat, will drop to no UA status since I switched all my flying to AA and WN. I guess I timed it well.

My flying is 30% business (Domestic F and International C or F) and 70% personal (Y) so I would have met the $$$ requirements, but the way UA is treating their loyal customers just sucks.

Guess it is time to burn all my UA miles.

I have been VERY pleased with my treatment as an AA EXP - much better than as a UA 1K.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am contacting you regarding the “recent enhancements” to the Mileage Plus frequent flyer program. For quite some time, Mileage Plus has been one of my preferred frequent flyer program even though I was based outside the traditional catchment area of United and Continental frequent flyers.

It has been well publicized during the past year that United Airlines CEO, Jeff Smisek, has carried on a campaign against the “over-entitled frequent flyers” although with a questionable track record for United Airlines. Along this line, came yesterday the announcement that the frequent flyer program would add some revenue requirements for earning Elite status.

What is new however is that this campaign has been extended and now also target what I will refer as the general public. I learnt this morning with shock that United Airlines has added some new fees for changes made to award flights outside of the 21-day period. This is definitely a non-customer-friendly step that I believe is in the wrong direction. After all, even the famed former CEO of American Airlines, Robert Crandall said recently “I think the airline industry is making a fundamental mistake when they rely as heavily as they are now on ancillary revenues. The industry cannot have a long future if they are focused on hosing their customers

It is well admitted that using and reserving capacity constrained awards can be difficult due to the lack of availability at many desirable dates. Some frequent flyers try to grab seats almost a year in advance, as soon as awards become available and before they are gone to other customers. Most of the time, this is done without a full knowledge of our own schedules, meetings and vacations for the following year. However, customers were still allowed to change their awards without penalty whenever more desirable dates became available or if their business schedule warranted so. This will no longer be the case.

Besides, this new $75 fee has nothing to do with costs. Instead it is merely another revenue stream, trying to nickel and dime customers. Indeed, the cost for United of letting customers change awards more than three weeks before departure is minimal. On the other side, changes made less than 21 days in advance, when it becomes critical for United Airlines to find new customers to replace newly vacant seats have always come with a fee which I believe is fair.

I urge United Airlines to reconsider this decision although I am skeptical this will not be the case given the recent consolidation in the airline industry and the resulting bargaining power legacy/network airlines now have compared to their customer base. I will nonetheless reconsider my flying choices whenever I can because I don’t want my business to favor non-customer-friendly airlines.

My regards,
Minos
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Minos
Dear Sir or Madam,

<snip>

My regards,
Minos
Well stated, as long as you don't mind the "we don't give a d***" reply that you will receive.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by ddrost1
Well stated, as long as you don't mind the "we don't give a d***" reply that you will receive.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Great. Why do I feel like I'm flying US again (and I paid $3 for a cup of water on US once)?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ddrost1
That assumes he gets a reply ...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:19 am

Wow - glad this came out today, I was considering applying for the UA Chase card this week - guess I'll get the Southwest card instead and focus my efforts there.

I fly fairly often, but not enough for elite status, and with this new fee, the chances of successfully redeeming my UA miles move from slim to slimmer.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
EDIT: Remember when UA/CO promised that merging would be a positive for consumers...haha yeah those were the days
Did anyone REALLY believe that

EmailKid
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
By the way, don't assume UA is being gracious by allowing previous tickets under the new rules. That's just contract law.

And United, you better not spin this as a benefit of elites. Charging more for non-elites does not benefit elite.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by amolkold
And United, you better not spin this as a benefit of elites. Charging more for non-elites does not benefit elite.
Hahaha ... you know they will !
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Speaking as a 1K with kids (who are not premiers) who fly between 15 and 20K miles per year, I hate this change.

same story here - I don't think spending on UA to qualify for status is worth it as UA will extract money out of my family members because I try to stay loyal.. rather pathetic...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.