Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
DEN-SFO $99. Wasn't me but the guy at the kiosk next to me. Wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't said something.
Did he then show on the "upgraded" list or did a seat just disappear from inventory?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did he then show on the "upgraded" list or did a seat just disappear from inventory?
To the best of my memory they showed up in the cleared section. But this was 6 months ago.

I got the same offer but didn't take it.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
DEN-SFO $99. Wasn't me but the guy at the kiosk next to me. Wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't said something.
This seems to be primarily a DEN issue, based on what I've heard around these parts.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I got the same offer but didn't take it.
^

Unless I had a crappy seat (I never book unless I can secure halfway decent seat at time of booking, but we all know all how UA likes time / equipment changes ), I can find much better use for hundred buck (less a dollar) for this short hop @:-)

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This seems to be primarily a DEN issue, based on what I've heard around these parts.
Maybe ppl in DEN have a phobia about sitting in the back
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Maybe ppl in DEN have a phobia about sitting in the back
$eem$ maybe more like the agent$ at DEN have been given an incentive to $ell buy-ups.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
A change to the My Account Screen.

Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by fivevsone
A change to the My Account Screen.

Not sure what you are trying to point out...
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
Not sure what you are trying to point out...
+1
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
[blushing]

It was my first time looking at my brand new 1K account screen. I thought the change was in advance of the new PQM/PQD regarding how does one accumulate status.

Not the now obvious how close am i to additional instruments.

[/blushing]
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tromer
A number labeled PQD will certainly be visible Jan 1. What is hard to believe is that it will be correct.
I think it will be correct at least January 1st and 2nd since everyone's will show 0
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by username
I think it will be correct at least January 1st and 2nd since everyone's will show 0
^
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm flying UA-UA-LH-TK on 016 Jan 1st so we'll see by Jan 3 or so.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by frequentjohn
The software is there. I was curious and send an e-mail to 1K Voice and got a response within a few hours (OT- 1K Voice is getting more responsive). I got an e-mail back with exact spend with United this year.
I emailed 1K Voice on Sunday and just got a response today. They indicated the "system" was not in place and they could not provide 2013 spend figures. I pushed back so we'll see what they say as a follow-up.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I emailed 1K Voice on Sunday and just got a response today. They indicated the "system" was not in place and they could not provide 2013 spend figures. I pushed back so we'll see what they say as a follow-up.
Based on what I've read, MP is able to provide your total spend, but not your PQD.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Based on what I've read, MP is able to provide your total spend, but not your PQD.
OK gotcha....I can clarify that point. Thanks for catching that point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.