Award ticket hold

Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Award ticket hold

I'm sure I'll get in trouble for asking this and be told that I should have done a search, which I did do.

I haven't bought a ticket on UA for years, so I'm not very familiar with the site. I have some miles I wanted to use so I went to the site and entered all the information. At the end, I was not given an option to hold the ticket, only to purchase it, even thought there are several threads about purchasing held tickets.

Is it not possible to put an award ticket on hold on the UA site? Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
...Is it not possible to put an award ticket on hold on the UA site? ....
nope -- it has not been formally allowed for a couple years
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I can put one on hold on AA.com for five days. Just additional confirmation that I made the right choice several years ago.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks for the response. I can put one on hold on AA.com for five days. Just additional confirmation that I made the right choice several years ago.
You can hold awards on the phone for typically 3 days.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Great, thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:15 pm

never used united website but in continental.com you are given the option to pay by cash, if you choose western union then it will give you 2 days to complete the booking.

I'm sure I'll get in trouble for asking this and be told that I should have done a search, which I did do.

I haven't bought a ticket on UA for years, so I'm not very familiar with the site. I have some miles I wanted to use so I went to the site and entered all the information. At the end, I was not given an option to hold the ticket, only to purchase it, even thought there are several threads about purchasing held tickets.

Is it not possible to put an award ticket on hold on the UA site? Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by flyer31
never used united website but in continental.com you are given the option to pay by cash, if you choose western union then it will give you 2 days to complete the booking.
Would they then allow you to switch to credit card payment within the 2-day window?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
I have linked my United and Continental FF accounts but not transferred any miles to Continental. I find that when I go to book award reservations on CO.com it will allow me to hold international award seats for 24-48 hours (to enable you to transfer miles from UA to CO (which, if all goes well, can be done very quickly). So, it does buy time for holding award seats.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is this still the case? I'm looking to book a complicated itinerary and also have to transfer some points into my UA account... thanks
FDW
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Is this still the case? I'm looking to book a complicated itinerary and also have to transfer some points into my UA account... thanks
FDW
You can even do it online if you don't have enough miles initially.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.