Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Return of the wide-body jet, SFO-ORD and ORD-SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return of the wide-body jet, SFO-ORD and ORD-SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Why don't they resume TPE service since they have extra 777?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Originally Posted by pigx5
I was thinking exactly the same thing...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:25 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by pigx5
I think starting up a station takes a lot more than just the plane being somewhat temporarily available...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
I think starting up a station takes a lot more than just the plane being somewhat temporarily available...
More like resuming; there was NRT-TPE until recently.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:12 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
More like resuming; there was NRT-TPE until recently.
That was like 9 months ago.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spin88
Well when CO took over they said UA was stupid to be using international birds hub to hub. Since it was done by UA, they stopped it...
You are undermining your credibility with nonsense like this. When did anyone at United say it was stupid (your words) to use international birds hub-hub? You are ignoring the facts that, post-merger, UA accelerated IPTE conversions, started a continuous 763ER major mod line, began widebody wifi installs, pulled down the 767-200ER fleet and had the 787s grounded for an extended period of time. Those factors materially limited (some still do) the amount of available widebody block hours, and that time needs to be prioritized to cover long haul international flying.

And UA did this, added a tag as (1) they had unused time on the AC, or (2) were rotating planes so they were in KSFO where UAs main maintenance base was.
Running a widebody on short hauls segments increases cycles (age, wear and tear) on the airframes and shortens expensive maintenance intervals. Sometimes it's worth it, other times it may not be. Heavy maintenance for widebodies takes longer than smaller airplanes, so a 777 undergoing a Heavy-C check will be OOS longer than a 737, which means that airplane is not available to operate lucrative, high-revenue long hauls to justify the capital expenditure.

Adding a domestic tag using an international aircraft is very economical if you can fill the plane. The CASM using a 772 or 763 is better than flying two (or three) A320/319/737s. I think after a while the CO folks looked around, someone said "why are we running 3 narrow bodies at the same time?" and actually figured out that what UA was doing made sense for their network, fleet, and maintenance locations.
Widebody trip (fixed) costs are higher than narrowbodies and on short hauls, the 737-800/900 and A320 have a CASM advantage relative to the 763ER and 777, especially as presently configured. Therefore, as an example, running two 737-900ERs instead of a single 777 provides more capacity at lower cost. The 777s are optimized for longhaul internationalflying where F/C cabins drive substantial revenue premiums over economy. This is not so in the domestic market, at least not to a comparable degree. Further, cargo is a profitable segment of the international business, so airplanes like 777s have lots of cargo capacity that often goes empty on domestic flights.

As I said, sometimes domestic widebody flying is worth it, for a panoply of reasons, other times it may not be.

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.