Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Most definitely
Most definitely, it's seasonal? Or Most definitely, it fills up last minute?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
The latter. Lots of paid J on this route.

EmailKid
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
Last minute. I was in your situation last month. Sought upgrade about 25 days out--didn't clear despite all 9s for availability in biz and ~half seats showing open. Sure enough each day in the last two weeks there was a slow dribble down and down to where there were only ~3 seats at T-48. I saw R-space at 1, called, and cleared the upgrade.

That said, it all depends on when in the week you're flying--midweek less likely to fill up.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
Last minute. I was in your situation last month. Sought upgrade about 25 days out--didn't clear despite all 9s for availability in biz and ~half seats showing open. Sure enough each day in the last two weeks there was a slow dribble down and down to where there were only ~3 seats at T-48. I saw R-space at 1, called, and cleared the upgrade.

That said, it all depends on when in the week you're flying--midweek less likely to fill up.
Thanks- I am on a paid BF ticket, but have an empty seat next to me...was just hoping for a little more room .

Thanks for the feedback, though.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Question about Row 16 on sCO 777

Hey All,
I tried to find this in the "Everything You Need to Know" thread but came up short. I just booked a last minute trip EWR-LHR and BF is sold out so I was able to grab row 16. 16F to be exact. I normally stay away from bulkhead rows but I am under the impression row 16 has way more legroom than the standard bulkhead e+ seat. Is that accurate? Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Hey All,
I tried to find this in the "Everything You Need to Know" thread but came up short. I just booked a last minute trip EWR-LHR and BF is sold out so I was able to grab row 16. 16F to be exact. I normally stay away from bulkhead rows but I am under the impression row 16 has way more legroom than the standard bulkhead e+ seat. Is that accurate? Thanks.
There are some good images of this row if you do some googling...I was faced with the same dilemma for LHR-EWR (UG cleared fortunately) but row 16 looked pretty good.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I just booked a last minute trip EWR-LHR and BF is sold out so I was able to grab row 16. 16F to be exact. I normally stay away from bulkhead rows but I am under the impression row 16 has way more legroom than the standard bulkhead e+ seat. Is that accurate? Thanks.
It's been a while since I've been on this bird, but IIRC there is some extra room, but nothing to write home about. So if you are tall (over 6'2"), you may be a little cramped.

I was lucky that one of the FAs saw me helping pax put carrons into overhead bins (I do this quite regularly, if for no other reason than that I'm bored), and told me that there would be a bassinet on that particular IAH-NRT flight, and she could give me a whole row further back

Unfortunately I don't expect too many rows with three empty seats on an LHR flight. Then again, I wouldn't expect it on a NRT flight either

EmailKid
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:28 am

Ok looking for advice:

Want:
- A window seat

Don't want:
- To be too close to a lavatory
- A non-window seat

Concerns:
- Row 8 has one window?
- Bad view?
- Footwell isn't too much of a concern (as long as it's decent sized; I'm not a giant)
- No preference over row or front/back cabin as long as service isn't substantially different
- Underfloor storage not really important

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking potentially 1L or 2A (maybe 4L?)? I'm guessing that the plane will be full come departure anyways.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Row 1 and Row 8, plus 2A, have the larger footwells, which is a plus.

View from Row 8 is normal - you're in front of the wing and engine. Row 1 might be more unobstructed, however.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
1L is my preferred seat - I'd go for this option.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Soliciting advice for an upcoming NRT-EWR leg:

I'm in 10K at present; all of the D/E seats are full. 2A is available. Is the wider footwell more/less important (in your opinion) than direct aisle access on a trans-Pacific segment?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I had a window, and was able to climb over my aisle-mate without too much difficulty. I'm 6', and if you are shorter or have short legs, it might not be so easy.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Soliciting advice for an upcoming NRT-EWR leg:

I'm in 10K at present; all of the D/E seats are full. 2A is available. Is the wider footwell more/less important (in your opinion) than direct aisle access on a trans-Pacific segment?
If you're a side sleeper, and/or at average or above average height, I think the wider footwell is a must
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If you're a side sleeper, and/or at average or above average height, I think the wider footwell is a must
If you're over 6", the extra foot space is nice.

The tradeoff though is the galley noise/light/FA chatting in flight. That's nothing ear plugs/eye mask won't solve when you're sleeping but kind of annoying when you're awake.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Appreciate the advice, all. Ended up slipping the return by a day and am now in 5E (my favorite seat in this config).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.